Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, or is the Model Y really ugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and does change over time.

I think the S is the best looking Tesla, the model 3 looks sporty, the X impressive (particularly with FWD open) and the Y functional. But most people buy cars for function, so the Y will sell best - at least until the Cybertruck arrives...

Agreed. Wish we had a sports car coming that was in the C8 price range not the McLaren. I'd be all about it. I am not someone buying based on functionality. We have no kids... I have a 3 and nobody has been in the back seat. Ever.

The only car I really like the look of us the S. The M3 looks too bland for my taste. From some angles it looks lovely but from the front it looks wrong. The windscreen proportions aren't right.

Can't comment on the Y because I really dislike small "SUV" shaped cars. I don't get them at all. I'm in a minority here as they are the most popular type of car but they are inherently ugly, and far too tall for what and actual car should look like. There is literally one "SUV" style car that I don't mind the look of and that's the range rover velar. The others range from "not offensive" such as the Bentley Bentayga, Jaguar iPace and the Maserati Levante to downright ugly: Everything else. Especially anything made by Nissan.

The only car I really like the look of us the S. The M3 looks too bland for my taste. From some angles it looks lovely but from the front it looks wrong. The windscreen proportions aren't right.

Can't comment on the Y because I really dislike small "SUV" shaped cars. I don't get them at all. I'm in a minority here as they are the most popular type of car but they are inherently ugly, and far too tall for what and actual car should look like. There is literally one "SUV" style car that I don't mind the look of and that's the range rover velar. The others range from "not offensive" such as the Bentley Bentayga, Jaguar iPace and the Maserati Levante to downright ugly: Everything else. Especially anything made by Nissan.

I don't like the crossovers either. Not to long ago we were calling them station wagons. Some of them are even minivans with no sliding doors. The model Y is literally a 3 with higher windows and they put the seats on stands. I get that some people want the hatch though. I often wonder what everyone is throwing back there. I have nothing in my trunk 90% of the time.

Reactions: Neilio
I can't bring myself to like the Y either. In certain trims, like the performance in blue, it doesn't look so bad. But the garden variety looks generic, a little Prius-like in its profile and not sleek. I never loved the 3, but next to the Y it looks much sleeker.

The S is still my favorite, followed by the X in certain trims (black on black), 3, and Y.

Reactions: gangzoom and Neilio
The S is let down in looks by the front of the bonnet line which makes it like an overbite. The whole range is let down by that flattened front piece that acts like an insect trap. At least on the new roadster they have contoured that better/

It is ugly. So is the 3.

The Model S is the only really good-looking vehicle they make. Back then, design wasn’t a compromise. Now they are focused on making mass-market electric Toyota-type vehicles.

The best looking Tesla is one they didn't actually make: the Model S Shooting Brake
Screenshot_20200717-124030.png

I wouldn’t comment on the Y until I’d seen it in the flesh, but I don’t mind acknowledging that my M3P is ugly. I often look at it with distaste. But then I didn’t buy it for its looks.

I agree! Personally, I do not think much of the Model 3's appearance, nor of the Model Y's (which I have not yet seen in person), but so what? What matters is their utility, their value to the user. You cannot see much if any of the outside when you are inside! So what the interior looks like is much more important, really -- that is what you will be experiencing as you ride and drive. But more important than that is how well it works for you, how it does its job, how it rides, drives, performs, functions.
I agree that a beautiful car can be more fun to own, because you get compliments and so on, but ultimately that isn't what I pay for....

I agree! Personally, I do not think much of the Model 3's appearance, nor of the Model Y's (which I have not yet seen in person), but so what? What matters is their utility, their value to the user. You cannot see much if any of the outside when you are inside! So what the interior looks like is much more important, really -- that is what you will be experiencing as you ride and drive. But more important than that is how well it works for you, how it does its job, how it rides, drives, performs, functions.
I agree that a beautiful car can be more fun to own, because you get compliments and so on, but ultimately that isn't what I pay for....
Weirdly it is. 90% of car buyers asked said looks were the most important thing in a car. I made that mistake before

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977 and David29
Quite like the Y overall look.

On the 3, the moon-buggy front and slightly awkward rear are quite challenging, but also quirky and therefore at least interesting. Rear three-quarter view looks great.

From a slightly elevated position the front-on and front three-quarter I really like.