Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it really worth it?

Is it really the right time to buy a Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was perfect on delivery. Communication was awful beforehand but we forgot about that the minute we drove out the door. The car is incredible. It's like driving in the future. And everyone I've taken for a drive has been absolutely astounded.

People like us know a lot of what to expect from obsessing over reviews etc online. But there's a huge percentage of the general public who haven't a clue about it. When they see autopilot in action their jaws drop.

Reactions: chewystuey
After much thought I became one of the only 4 to tick "if they sort out my issues" because I'm sure they will, but it's unbelievably frustrating waiting.

Before delivery; Agreed terrible. I really can't see why they can't get basic customer communication.

Handover; Mine (London) was great. Lots of time, inspection and explanations with staff that were interested. Noticeably better than the BMW or VW handovers with a greasy salesman who knows little about the car and just wants you out as soon as a defect is noticed.

A long wait repairs; Yes. The Service centre staff are great, but it's taking time to ramp up to Model 3 service demand.
Given how good model X / S service was I expect it will get very good, be it will take some time.

No answer to any phone calls or emails; It's got better, but is still poor. Diverting overflow calls to a remote call centre so they can be triaged would help.

Is it worth it ........ yes it's it's an astounding car. Anything else feels to me like something my dad drive in the 1970's.
My Tesla is currently waiting for parts to fix the power steering ( I seem to have been very unlucky - very few have significant faults)

Tesla have hired me a C Class Merc as a loan, and when it was going to cover the holiday period offered to expense and fuel for me.
Tesla are doing a full investigation into why it failed, and how they can reduce the chance of a repeat failure in mine or future cars.
This is far beyond what other car brands and dealers do, and will lead to Tesla's being even more reliable, and lower costs for them.

About 2.5% of Ford or GM cars goes on warrantee costs. Tesla is tracking down towards 1% so the "expert" car makers are getting a lesson in modern engineering and business management American Auto Warranty Expenses, 18 July 2019

All that said I know I've been unlucky, but all I want to Xmas/New Year is my Model 3 back home.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the honest and realistic views that you have given. What really comes across is that even if the customer service is dreadful the car more than makes up for it.

I almost walked away when I read some recent threads about the ranging being so drastically reduced in winter and rain but my parents have agreed that I can put a charger at their home which was the long journey (min 180 mile round trip with no destination charging and 1 awkward supercharger en route) so this has alleviated those fears.

So this morning I ordered my blue LR and I am very excited. I've said to myself that I will be lucky to get it in April, maybe May but who knows with the end of quarter rush!

Thanks again!

All I can say about McLaren Manchester, this is absolutely a dealership management issue. I have had both good and bad experiences dealing with high end providers, mostly good, and IMHO it always comes back to the top down attitude of the leadership. As a Technology Leader for more than 25 years I take full responsibility for the way my Team do things, as should all service provider Leadership individuals.

As for my personal Tesla experience:
  1. Ok through the order to delivery process - Simple and effective, not quite the bells and whistles you would expect from such a high end cost but not bad either
  2. Good at the pickup - Plenty of time and effort made to make me feel good about my new Model S
  3. Ok/Good service up until now - Simple service booking process on the App (albeit sometimes the slot is a month or two away), loan cars provided when needed, mobile technicians to the house have been fantastic, quick repairs when needed, kept informed on progress (Well done Tesla Birmingham)
  4. Good ownership - Great car, great performance, incredible tech, low running costs (a third on fuel 'v' electric, 25k miles and still on original tyres and no service needed yet)
I have to admit that it could be better in terms of body parts delivery (unfortunately, at just 3 weeks old my car was driven into by a hit and run driver in a car park, new front bumper took 8 weeks to arrive), however I appreciate that Tesla is a relatively fledgling automotive/technology company, so fully expect things to continually improve over time for UK owners, especially when the European GigaFactory is completed

I am not a complete 'blind faith fan boy', but I am a supporter of Tesla and absolutely recommend them.

Check out my channel if you are interested in my videos on the 'Over the Air Updates' and AutoPilot/Navigate on Autopilot and other Tech reviews:
DidgieTech

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the honest and realistic views that you have given. What really comes across is that even if the customer service is dreadful the car more than makes up for it.

I almost walked away when I read some recent threads about the ranging being so drastically reduced in winter and rain but my parents have agreed that I can put a charger at their home which was the long journey (min 180 mile round trip with no destination charging and 1 awkward supercharger en route) so this has alleviated those fears.

So this morning I ordered my blue LR and I am very excited. I've said to myself that I will be lucky to get it in April, maybe May but who knows with the end of quarter rush!

Thanks again!
If you haven't already you can use a referral code to get free supercharging milage, here's mine if you need one: removed by moderator - no referral codes allowed in posts or signatures
I already have unlimited supercharging milage, so noting in it for me, just happy to help like you will find from most Tesla owners

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't already you can use a referral code to get free supercharging milage, here's mine if you need one: Free Supercharger Miles
I already have unlimited supercharging milage, so noting in it for me, just happy to help like you will find from most Tesla owners

Hi, since you don't benefit from the extra Supercharging miles yourself maybe it's best that people use a referral code from someone else driving a car that doesn't already come with free for life Supercharging!

Reactions: Didgie and Roy W.
Worry less and enjoy more!

Life is too short to wait for the perfect EV to come along. Tesla are ahead of the competition by miles if you look at all factors - performance, range, tech, features, looks, costs etc.

Honestly, nothing in this world is perfect. Enjoy the best things about Tesla cars and don’t worry too much about the little things that may be imperfect - most of these things the average person will not even notice or will be bothered by too much.

happened to me. Its not ideal but for the record it still drives fine with a big hole in the floor :)

Attachments

• 20191220_084227.jpg
    20191220_084227.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 61
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months and I am about ready to push the button on a Model 3 LR but I've noticed a LOT of problems that you all seem to have!

I get that this is a forum and most forums are where people express displeasure rather than pleasure but from a brief scan it would seem that if I order a Model 3 I can expect:

1. No communication between order and about a week before delivery with no timescales ever given
  2. A rushed handover (I live in London) with a high probability of panel misalignment and/or missing cables
  3. A long wait time for any repairs from above to be fixed
  4. Absolutely no answer to any phone calls or emails about the above

So my question is - is it worth it? I know there a few very vocal guys on here who clearly wish they hadn't of purchased one but how about the rest of you? Is the car worth the hassle?

Thanks!
Worth it even with the problems. I have water in the compartment under the false floor of the trunk, but still worth it!