Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it time to give up on trying to get FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting viewpoint. Let's try an experiment. How much money do people think the following is worth?

Autopilot (included with all cars): $
Navigate on Autopilot: $
Auto Lane Change: $
Autopark: $
Summon: $
Full Self-Driving Computer: $
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: $
Autosteer on City Streets: $

For the sake of simplicity, assume the features are common and not edge case. Example, "Summon" is for getting your car out of your garage or a parking spot at the store - not for calling you car from NY to LA.

I purchased FSD because I believe this feature will improve the automotive experience. Although I am not a beta tester, I enjoy and do use all the listed features.

Allow me first to show some much needed love for Summon. I use it every time I exit or enter my rural driveway, which is guarded by a gate. Summon allows me to pull up and hold by the gate; open the gate; summon my Tesla across the gateway; close the gate; re-enter my Tesla and drive on to my parking spot. Summon objectively streamlines my exit/entry workflow. I believe my circumstances are not an edge use case. I value this feature because of the convenience it offers.

Autopark works for me. I never fear striking another vehicle, the curb, or what have you whenever I use it in non-angled parking stalls. Given favorable traffic conditions, Autopark makes parallel parking a breeze.

Sadly, I do not know how to make a dollar estimate for an experimental yet still useful technology. But I am glad I have use of it now and hope someday to become an FSD beta tester in order to further the cause of safe, though limited, self-driving.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Interesting viewpoint. Let's try an experiment. How much money do people think the following is worth?

Autopilot (included with all cars): $
Navigate on Autopilot: $
Auto Lane Change: $
Autopark: $
Summon: $
Full Self-Driving Computer: $
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: $
Autosteer on City Streets: $

For the sake of simplicity, assume the features are common and not edge case. Example, "Summon" is for getting your car out of your garage or a parking spot at the store - not for calling you car from NY to LA.

This is my own valuation:

Autopilot (included with all cars): $2K (this was $ figure added to the Base Model 3 when basic AP was made standard)
Navigate on Autopilot: $0 (it's garbage as it does silly lane change decision and navigation maps are poor without any user initiated updates to improve them)
Auto Lane Change: $2K (mostly good)
Autopark: $0 (garbage as it takes too long)
Smart Summon: $0 (garbage as its unreliable)
Full Self-Driving Computer: $0 (comes with car)
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: $0 (autosteer on city streets takes over everything it does and does it better)
Autosteer on City Streets: $10k (this is assuming it works well as an L2 driving buddy to handle things like 4 way stops, roundabouts, navigation in unfamiliar cities, etc). The single stack code from autosteer on city streets could also fix NoA so it wasn't such a mess.

For me (I did purchase FSD, but am not in beta)
Autopilot $500. Cars come with cruise control and auto steer can’t handle about half the roads I take.
NOA - $0. The car sucks at even suggesting lane changes (and routes for that matter) and takes exits like a drunk 14 year old.
Auto Lane Change - $0 see above
Autopark - $0 my car offered me auto park exactly once, and I wasn’t parking, just pulling up to a light next to some parallel spots.
Summon - $0 it is a party trick that doesn’t even work 75% of the time. And this is dumb summon, smart summon is worth negative dollars.
FSD Computer - $0 none of the things it is supposed to do work well, so it can’t have value.
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Controll - $0. It does stop at stop signs as well as things it thinks are stop signs, green lights, flashing yellow lights, etc. it can’t handle it when there are two lights in close proximity to each other. However, it will turn on rainbow road for you when you try to tell it it is ok to proceed as it blares at you to take control.
Autosteer City Streets - $0 its been coming soon for a few years now.

Auto Lane Change is leveraged by NoA, but can be used without it.

I used AP all the time on divided freeways where I use Auto Lane Change with it.

In testing I'd give higher marks to Auto Lane change than AP because AP still does dumb things like re-centering when a merge point happens and you're driving in the right lane.

Was there actually some trustworthy communication of this somewhere that I've missed, or just speculation?
I forget where I heard it. I thought it was on the TMC podcast I read and watch way to much but this thread shows the Tesla-fi numbers.

Is it possible that due to the most recent version still being reported as running THROUGH Stop Signs at intersections, slamming on brakes on two lane roads, making left turns at intersections where the left turn arrow is clearly red....that Tesla has opted to slow things down in the interest of placing a bit more priority on safety? Also the timing. One cant help but wonder if the upcoming documentary on Hulu/FX regarding unreported accidents/deaths associated with self driving may be a factor in the slow down of the rollout

Should be interesting to watch. You can skew any statistics in your favor or in a bad light. People don't typically see the overall picture or compare it to all of the other dumb things people do in cars. You could probably do a documentary on deaths while eating cereal while driving and go after kelloggs.
I'm actually surprised how many times I've seen people eating with utensils while driving non-teslas.

Reactions: Yelobird
I paid only $8K for FSD for my 2021 MY LR and don't think it's worth it yet. Yes, it "does" those things you mention but it does them imperfectly and unreliably. (If you're using Summon at Safeway on a weekend no one around you is safe.) I'm not using anything but TACC and Autosteer and even then still have to remain overly vigilant with TACC because of phantom braking. I love my Tesla for being an EV with great software with the exception of FSD and remain optimistic that FSD Beta will get us there someday, but for now it's overpriced, overpromised and underperforming functionality.

Your first mistake was not giving up on FSD entirely. Paying $10/12K to be a beta tester and not even getting the beta…?
This is just a clarifying response. When we bought back in 2020, there were no Beta testers, as far as I know. We really thought we were buying FSD! And then when the Beta testing appeared, we tried to opt in, but never qualified. I don't think we were driving the car enough, as we are retired and did not do any road trips during the COVID lockdown. Now I use the Cruise Control and the lane help and find those beneficial but still glitchy.

This is just a clarifying response. When we bought back in 2020, there were no Beta testers, as far as I know. We really thought we were buying FSD! And then when the Beta testing appeared, we tried to opt in, but never qualified. I don't think we were driving the car enough, as we are retired and did not do any road trips during the COVID lockdown. Now I use the Cruise Control and the lane help and find those beneficial but still glitchy.
Another clarification: EVERYONE was a beta tester in 2020.

Now they just have double-secret beta testers.

Hello All.. I know everyone has been taking about this, but I’m just seeing how everyone else feels about trying to get FSD beta. I opted in on Jan 5, 2022. I literally have a perfect score. 100SS with 0.0 across the board with over 4k miles. You can not get any better than this, but I have not put my MSP in ludicrous for almost 4 months now as I know I would have to break hard to stop! Lol! I just wish they would say, “Right now we are not accepting any FSD testers, so enjoy!”. I’m not saying we should get FSD Beta because we paid for FSD, but just throw us a bone or something. If they said sometime late summer/fall, I would opt out for now and this would not bother me. Thoughts? Thank you for your time!
Good luck to us! I paid for it almost 3 YEARS AGO, and I'm still waiting. Safety score 98 several thousand miles. The SC upgraded my CPU on 2/20/20, still waiting for the firmware:((.

• Love
Good luck to us! I paid for it almost 3 YEARS AGO, and I'm still waiting. Safety score 98 several thousand miles. The SC upgraded my CPU on 2/20/20, still waiting for the firmware:((.
Well, at least you guys get a good score. I opted in today, drove 2 miles to the grocery and two miles back. At no time was there ever a car in front of me while driving, and I get a 49 for AEB. I’ve tried before and always get nonsense scores that don’t resemble my driving at all.

Well, at least you guys get a good score. I opted in today, drove 2 miles to the grocery and two miles back. At no time was there ever a car in front of me while driving, and I get a 49 for AEB. I’ve tried before and always get nonsense scores that don’t resemble my driving at all.
That's not normal behavior. The few suggestions I can give you are to recalibrate your cameras and reboot your car - I might even go so far as to do a hard shutdown (disconnect 12v and main battery pack). You can also open a service ticket and see if the tech can check your cameras and push the latest firmware down for you - some techs (the nice ones) will even do the hard shutdown for you if you don't want to attempt it yourself.