Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slipped on water and ran into a guard rail. Does this look totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any more details about how the slip occured? There have been a few people that reported losing control on wet roads because of the regenerative braking kicking in when what they wanted to do was coast through it.
The ones I have followed when they actually did a bit more investigation found they actually had bald or close to bald tires.

Totaled because it’s a Tesla. That’s why our insurance rates suck.

We are in the golden age of cheap EV insurance (except for maybe Tesla). I’ve owned enough EVs and seen many accidents reports in various forums. Repairing any EV is expensive. The tools and labor to drop a battery, bleed the coolant, repair a part is expensive and every EV with frame + battery damage is basically totaled these days. I expect insurance rates to catch up to reality.

Reactions: FFCars
We are in the golden age of cheap EV insurance (except for maybe Tesla). I’ve owned enough EVs and seen many accidents reports in various forums. Repairing any EV is expensive. The tools and labor to drop a battery, bleed the coolant, repair a part is expensive and every EV with frame + battery damage is basically totaled these days. I expect insurance rates to catch up to reality.
doesn't help that a Model 3 Performance is basically equipped with the power of a HIGH-END Porsche but for less than 1/2 the price. The high-end Porsche is driven carefully by some 60yr old heart surgeon whereas the Model 3 Performance is ran off the road by a 30 yr old insurance broker... that's why Porsche insurance rates are fairly reasonable despite the cars being very powerful. I'm honestly very worried for the 3rd or 4th owner of the Model 3 Performance... aka... when an 18 yr old gets their hands on it.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
doesn't help that a Model 3 Performance is basically equipped with the power of a HIGH-END Porsche but for less than 1/2 the price. The high-end Porsche is driven carefully by some 60yr old heart surgeon whereas the Model 3 Performance is ran off the road by a 30 yr old insurance broker... that's why Porsche insurance rates are fairly reasonable despite the cars being very powerful. I'm honestly very worried for the 3rd or 4th owner of the Model 3 Performance... aka... when an 18 yr old gets their hands on it.
You nailed it. I've owned a few 911's, the latest being a 2019 Carrera T, my Porsche rates were dirt cheap. I'm 62. Insurance companies are replacing far less 911's than Model 3's.

I'm a member of Rennlist (a Porsche forum) and I don't remember when I last saw a post of someone wrecking their 911. On TMC its almost daily or at least weekly that someone has been rear ended, T-boned, or lost control and crashed.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I'm a member of Rennlist (a Porsche forum) and I don't remember when I last saw a post of someone wrecking their 911. On TMC its almost daily or at least weekly that someone has been rear ended, T-boned, or lost control and crashed.
While I agree with the majority of what you said, the rear ended and T-boned crashes you are seeing more frequently is because the Teslas are more likely to be daily drivers, and because there are a lot more of them on the road. It is far less likely that a Porsche is a daily driver for their owners, which means they are likely driven less, and that the owner is less likely to take them out in heavy traffic and/or poor weather.

It is going to get more interesting as we go forward because we do have the general grocery getter for a family capable of acceleration that was considered the upper end of performance cars 15 or so years ago. These will be the cars new drivers are learning on, as opposed to those who learned to drive on a 4 cylinder.

Reactions: android04
While I agree with the majority of what you said, the rear ended and T-boned crashes you are seeing more frequently is because the Teslas are more likely to be daily drivers, and because there are a lot more of them on the road. It is far less likely that a Porsche is a daily driver for their owners, which means they are likely driven less, and that the owner is less likely to take them out in heavy traffic and/or poor weather.

Exactly. I have a M3P and a 996 Turbo. The model 3 sees about 11K miles a year in all conditions while the 996 Turbo sees around 2K a year only in nice weather and rarely in rush hour traffic.

911s are in less accidents because they are driven far less, not because their owners are magically better drivers.

Exactly. I have a M3P and a 996 Turbo. The model 3 sees about 11K miles a year in all conditions while the 996 Turbo sees around 2K a year only in nice weather and rarely in rush hour traffic.

911s are in less accidents because they are driven far less, not because their owners are magically better drivers.
Man!!! Get out there and drive that 911. Ferdinand is rolling over in his grave.

Man!!! Get out there and drive that 911. Ferdinand is rolling over in his grave.

Haha, I will hopefully in the future. Right now it would mostly get driven to work only to sit in the parking lot and bake in the sun. Don't really want to do that to a near 20 year old car. Most of the rest of my driving right now is shuttling kids and their friends to sports and other activities with all their gear.

• Funny
Reactions: Gulfcoaster
I’m in Washington and normally when it’s at 65% valuation I send the estimate to my progressive rep and have them run a valuation on it. I’m an estimator and write progressive and geico. I total cars everyday and I’m certain this one will be a total loss.

Do you know how USAA decides when to total? I’ve seem crazy photos of accidents that ended up being $35K+ repairs (on $50K cars) and the owner said USAA refused to total. Do some insurance companies hate totaling and are willing to pay for expensive and lengthy repairs?

Do you know how USAA decides when to total? I’ve seem crazy photos of accidents that ended up being $35K+ repairs (on $50K cars) and the owner said USAA refused to total. Do some insurance companies hate totaling and are willing to pay for expensive and lengthy repairs?
Each company is a little different but USAA will run a valuation on a vehicle that I’m writing am estimate on if the damage estimate exceeds 65%. They look at how the parts will take to get, the length of rental, salvage value, and many other metrics. It’s all a numbers game and insurance companies are in the business to make money so which ever may costs them less is the route they will take.

Reactions: voxel
i felt something similar this morning driving in light rain, was coasting down an off ramp going at a slow speed and let off the gas and the car started to slide sideways… first time ever i felt a tesla lose traction…

i felt something similar this morning driving in light rain, was coasting down an off ramp going at a slow speed and let off the gas and the car started to slide sideways… first time ever i felt a tesla lose traction…
Any car looses tracking with crappy tires or worn out tires. my 15 year old Accord can have better traction than my MYP with bad tires.

From the one picture, it looked slippy out there. It's Utah, summertime, so presumably not much rain, so roads can be greasy too. It's a Performance 3, so 20" wheels. Pirelli P Zeros are supposedly predictable in the wet, but it comes down to speed and remaining treadwear. Physics.