Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my car the one with worst paint job and service center help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming the issue is with the clear coat and on the final top coat, it seems to me Tesla will need to have the entire clear coat color sanded (ie - wet sanded) and re-buff the entire car. It that doesn't fix the issue, they will need to re-clear the car or worse, if its below or deep in the clear coat, have it completely re-painted. Sucks.

With that, my 2006 Pontiac GTO had similar issues with the paint. The clear appears milky in certain areas. The fix - a heat gun applied over those areas fixes the issue.

Man, I'm glad I'm not that picky. I'm too busy enjoying the Tesla ride to worry about "paint defects" you can hardly see. I have never checked paint on any of my Teslas, drove over 160,000 miles, and every one of the rides or drives I've offered, the person never looked at the paint. Doing 80 mph, it's pretty hard to see them.

In my avatar, can you see the 3 holes in the nosecone where the license was on my S? Nobody else does, either.

mine has nibs and fisheyes all over but nothing like that.

I did have some kinda residue in several places after delivery though.

I used some adams hand polish and a terrycloth towel to remove it. Unfortunately the paint was actually damaged under the residue and I doubt tesla is going to do anything about it, but it's close to the underside of the car so not very noticeable.

You could try some meguiars ultimate polish and a microfiber or terry cloth on one of to see if it will come out. They sell it at wallmart. It's a very light polish.

Man, I'm glad I'm not that picky. I'm too busy enjoying the Tesla ride to worry about "paint defects" you can hardly see. I have never checked paint on any of my Teslas, drove over 160,000 miles, and every one of the rides or drives I've offered, the person never looked at the paint. Doing 80 mph, it's pretty hard to see them.

In my avatar, can you see the 3 holes in the nosecone where the license was on my S? Nobody else does, either.

That is not picky. That’s ridiculous. My car has like 2-3 nibs and a small splatter and large scratch across the hood but only visible in certain light. This person’s car has terrible spots all over.

That is not picky. That’s ridiculous. My car has like 2-3 nibs and a small splatter and large scratch across the hood but only visible in certain light. This person’s car has terrible spots all over.
plus it's red so it was an extra $2500 for that paint job?

If those spots don't buff out quickly they are going to have to repaint all of those panels.

I would start looking for a body shop in your area that specializes in teslas and have them take it there to be fixed.

Reactions: C141medic

Ignorance is bliss, indeed.

Assuming the issue is with the clear coat and on the final top coat, it seems to me Tesla will need to have the entire clear coat color sanded (ie - wet sanded) and re-buff the entire car. It that doesn't fix the issue, they will need to re-clear the car or worse, if its below or deep in the clear coat, have it completely re-painted. Sucks.

With that, my 2006 Pontiac GTO had similar issues with the paint. The clear appears milky in certain areas. The fix - a heat gun applied over those areas fixes the issue.
It would suck if it has to be repainted as it wouldn’t be the same as factory paint job.

Its not that I’m picky. I enjoy every minute I drive my car but it sucks to see the spots every time I walk towards the car no matter from what side. They’re on every panel, every door and stand out the most on sunny days.

Reactions: C141medic
It would suck if it has to be repainted as it wouldn’t be the same as factory paint job.
yea it would probably be better than the factory paint though. Seriously!

I think OP is tied for one of the worst I have seen, there was another guy where parts of the car were not even painted and they had just cleared over a very very thin paint layer where you could still pretty much see the bare metal. I think it was an MSM car.

This is how it looks with direct sunlight.
1- The biggest one on hood, looks like a splatter
2- Faded smudge, there’s six of them than I’ve seen just on hood.
3- Looks like they tried to repair a scratch, there’s a couple on hood

07497F99-7019-4D6C-858C-6BD306B55358.jpeg

Different angle on splatter

B4979E2A-4B25-4BCD-9764-5A81764D0CAB.jpeg

12 total just on this area

349AEAC1-AF8F-4630-ABFF-D54203729685.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
That has to be one of the worst paint jobs ive seen on any car. I have no idea how you didnt lose your *sugar* over this. I would have driven directly to the service center (which i dont with my car and it was not nearly as bad) and refuse to leave until they addressed it.

You are a calm ass individual...sorry to see this...im getting upset just looking at your pics!!!

That has to be one of the worst paint jobs ive seen on any car. I have no idea how you didnt lose your *sugar* over this. I would have driven directly to the service center (which i dont with my car and it was not nearly as bad) and refuse to leave until they addressed it.

You are a calm ass individual...sorry to see this...im getting upset just looking at your pics!!!
My service center experience was just as bad as the paint job. After talking to 4 different people at that center, they somehow lost all the notes of my car issues. Two guys who helped me schedule and then reschedule my appointment, woman who had me email her pictures of paint issues and guy who looked over all issues with my car during my appointment. Now after not hearing from them for 3 weeks I call and find out they have no info on my car issues or of me ever being there. I have to start all over with new SC appointment.

Is my car the one with worst paint job and service center help?

Just to make to feel a little better, I'll throw my saga in the ring for a not so good experience... Some have probably already read it in another thread or two so I will give the condensed version.

I took delivery recently at the Castleton (Indianapolis) location which was a pretty great and pleasant experience - I was over the moon after the 2+ year wait. The driving experience is more than excellent. These cars are truly the future. I scheduled service for delivery defects (such as paint defects on most panels, broken headliner, panel misalignments, punctures in the sideskirts, etc.), waited a few weeks for the appointment, dropped the car off, all was well. Fairly positive experience other than them sort of questioning damage on both sideskirts under the car where there were multiple matching punctures on both sides through the plastic from transport probably. They really should inspect the cars before delivery rather than question if I am trying to pull one over on them.

Anyways, that is about where my positive experience with this service center ended. I was alerted that the car was bouncing off my speed limit set at 85 in a 55. Mentioned it and got no response. Could see the car was left outdoors unlocked after hours. Then the paint work at Connan's body shop came back worse than before it went to them. On the return trip from the body shop the car once again bounced off the 85 mph speed limit with fresh paint. Questioned again and the service manager apologized. Then mobile access was disabled (right after I brought up the speeding issue and after being on for 2+ weeks)... The front bumper was damaged as well at some point and had to be repaired. The car went back to the body shop a 2nd time, came back with EVERY single piece of glass damaged and requiring EVERY single piece of glass to be replaced. How would you like that news on your new 60k car? There were still dust nibs/fish eye in the paint, paint run on edge of door, holograms in all of the paint - probably from the 'detail' job back at service. Over the next few weeks service replaced all of the glass which also added scuffs, scratches, punctures, and tool marks to many interior panels including using the wrong chemicals on the piano black materials which damaged the finish. While I did not know the current state of the car, the service manager worked out a so-so deal with me to take the no longer new car back rather than request a replacement which was said to take months, be a huge hassle, cost me money, etc.

After 5 weeks, I got the call that the car was ready and in excellent condition. I drove the 2+ hrs to review it and found the minor but still present paint issues, the newly added interior damage to quite a few panels, and work that was supposed to be completed on the repair order that had indeed not been complete. An example would be the broken headliner that was replaced with another MORE broken headliner just to say they 'attempted repair' so they could stop the clock (in my opinion) before it hit the 30 business days that would meet lemon law criteria. The service manager tried to renig on the verbal agreement we made the day prior and would not let me leave with the loaner I drove up in and leave the car there for them to finish the unfinished repair order and fix the newly added damage. I was unable to decline the repair and just go back home... He stated that I was required to take the car and schedule a new appointment since none of the remaining issues are safety related and if I got a taxi and left the car, it would be unsecured and any damage incurred would be my responsibility.

It was a terrible no good very bad experience... I am still left with a damaged car and the agreement not met a week after pickup.

While I am glad this doesn't happen to everyone, it should not happen to anyone...

Very deflated and my trust with the service center has unfortunately been lost when I am sure 95% of the guys are absolutely top notch.

I feel if I do not mention my experience, I am kind of propagating the problem because things don't change if they aren't out in the open.

I truly wish everyone the experience they deserve and am sure most will get it.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and bd7349
Just to make to feel a little better, I'll throw my saga in the ring for a not so good experience... Some have probably already read it in another thread or two so I will give the condensed version.

I took delivery recently at the Castleton (Indianapolis) location which was a pretty great and pleasant experience - I was over the moon after the 2+ year wait. The driving experience is more than excellent. These cars are truly the future. I scheduled service for delivery defects (such as paint defects on most panels, broken headliner, panel misalignments, punctures in the sideskirts, etc.), waited a few weeks for the appointment, dropped the car off, all was well. Fairly positive experience other than them sort of questioning damage on both sideskirts under the car where there were multiple matching punctures on both sides through the plastic from transport probably. They really should inspect the cars before delivery rather than question if I am trying to pull one over on them.

Anyways, that is about where my positive experience with this service center ended. I was alerted that the car was bouncing off my speed limit set at 85 in a 55. Mentioned it and got no response. Could see the car was left outdoors unlocked after hours. Then the paint work at Connan's body shop came back worse than before it went to them. On the return trip from the body shop the car once again bounced off the 85 mph speed limit with fresh paint. Questioned again and the service manager apologized. Then mobile access was disabled (right after I brought up the speeding issue and after being on for 2+ weeks)... The front bumper was damaged as well at some point and had to be repaired. The car went back to the body shop a 2nd time, came back with EVERY single piece of glass damaged and requiring EVERY single piece of glass to be replaced. How would you like that news on your new 60k car? There were still dust nibs/fish eye in the paint, paint run on edge of door, holograms in all of the paint - probably from the 'detail' job back at service. Over the next few weeks service replaced all of the glass which also added scuffs, scratches, punctures, and tool marks to many interior panels including using the wrong chemicals on the piano black materials which damaged the finish. While I did not know the current state of the car, the service manager worked out a so-so deal with me to take the no longer new car back rather than request a replacement which was said to take months, be a huge hassle, cost me money, etc.

After 5 weeks, I got the call that the car was ready and in excellent condition. I drove the 2+ hrs to review it and found the minor but still present paint issues, the newly added interior damage to quite a few panels, and work that was supposed to be completed on the repair order that had indeed not been complete. An example would be the broken headliner that was replaced with another MORE broken headliner just to say they 'attempted repair' so they could stop the clock (in my opinion) before it hit the 30 business days that would meet lemon law criteria. The service manager tried to renig on the verbal agreement we made the day prior and would not let me leave with the loaner I drove up in and leave the car there for them to finish the unfinished repair order and fix the newly added damage. I was unable to decline the repair and just go back home... He stated that I was required to take the car and schedule a new appointment since none of the remaining issues are safety related and if I got a taxi and left the car, it would be unsecured and any damage incurred would be my responsibility.

It was a terrible no good very bad experience... I am still left with a damaged car and the agreement not met a week after pickup.

While I am glad this doesn't happen to everyone, it should not happen to anyone...

Very deflated and my trust with the service center has unfortunately been lost when I am sure 95% of the guys are absolutely top notch.

I feel if I do not mention my experience, I am kind of propagating the problem because things don't change if they aren't out in the open.

I truly wish everyone the experience they deserve and am sure most will get it.
What a terrible experience, sorry to hear that. Thanks for the heads up with the speed check on app, I’ll have to keep an eye on it. Tomorrow will be 2 months since I took delivery of my car and it’s also my appointment at a different service center, wish me luck.

Reactions: super20g
So my service appointment was on Thursday the 2nd. Dropped off my car and got a 2018 Model S 75D loaner. Awesome car but seems outdated compared to mine. Model S feels too big, too heavy and bouncy. On Tuesday the 7th I got text that my car was ready. I took of to Buena Park SC right away, really excited to get my car back.

I get there, drop of loaner and wait for guy to bring out my car. As he brings it out I can’t believe it’s my car, looks very nice and color looks deeper red. I was told that they had to buff out the whole car and gave it complete detail inside and out. They fixed all issues I requested. One of my headlights was off center and I told them to at least make it match the other one. Well not only did they center it but they also centered the other one and the bumper.

Ever since bad experience at Centinela SC i was regretting having paid this much for a car. Now after the repairs it feels like I’m driving a whole different car. I want to thank the guys at Buena Park as they went above and beyond my expectations. I’ll post some before and after photos.

Reactions: lensovet and P85_DA