Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a good time to trade in and upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Mid Range Model 3 RWD as of January and love the car and was wanting to upgrade to the Performance sometime soon. After watching the prices plummet on the Model 3 line-up over the last 5 months I was wondering if I should wait out the storm before upgrading. I am assuming nobody really has any accurate hard facts on pricing but any input would be appreciated. And yes, I would be trading in my Model 3 RWD as a down payment on the Performance. And yes, I know I am about to take a 10,000 dollar hit. Also, any ideas on what Carmax is offering roughly? I see them actively selling in the low 40's privately and Tesla only offered me 32.5 as im assuming they don't really want the car back anyways. If CarMax is even close to that I will sell the car myself although im trying to avoid that at all costs as selling a car sounds like a headache. Thanks again for any input!

CA doesn't have trade-in offset for sales tax (along with DC, HI, KY, MI, MT, VA).

Also, @TM3 Cali , if you received the CA $2,500 CVRP Rebate, you are required to have possession of your car for 30-months otherwise you will need to pay back the rebate. I'm not sure the specifics of this and possibly you can offset the penalty with the rebate for the new car but something you should investigate.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2012MS85
CA doesn't have trade-in offset for sales tax (along with DC, HI, KY, MI, MT, VA).

Also, @TM3 Cali , if you received the CA $2,500 CVRP Rebate, you are required to have possession of your car for 30-months otherwise you will need to pay back the rebate. I'm not sure the specifics of this and possibly you can offset the penalty with the rebate for the new car but something you should investigate.

I’ve heard this before as well, but haven’t seen it listed anywhere... I will do some research

Selling a used Model 3 is a bit tricky right now because you are competing with new cars that still qualify for substantial credits and rebates. It seems that Carvana and Carmax traditionally do not state on their used Model 3 listings whether the car has AP/EAP/FSD. My general observation is that they don’t really understand what those things are, so I’m not sure how they would appraise a car that has them.

I’d be willing to bet that if you paid for FSD, you will be very unhappy with Carmax and Carvana prices. If you don’t have AP/EAP/FSD then you might find them more competitive.

I want to upgrade to performance and go even faster. Plus for 14,000 dollars more than what I paid I get long range, AWD, 20 inch rims, and go 0-60 faster than a Ferrari.

That's so funny since I've had my P3D+ for a week and was thinking I could have bought a 3LR RWD and saved $14,000. Keep in mind the Performance can eat through the battery quickly due to the big sticky tires and a lead foot. Still a lot of fun to drive though. If I were you, I'd wait until the next significant breakthrough (like new battery tech) before trading up. Then again, if money is not a major concern, go for it! Either way, enjoy the ride!

Buy a second one and rent out the first one on Turo. Once the Tesla Network is ready in 2020-2021 then use that system to earn money.

If you rent on Turo for about 100 days out of 365 days at $100 per day, the gross amount is 10,000. Do that for 5 years and it will basicly pay for the car. Since the battery is rated at 300,000 to 500,000 miles and the body and motor is rated at 1,000,000 miles, you’ll be able to keep renting that out for over 8 years.

Make other people PAY for your car.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: OCR1
That's so funny since I've had my P3D+ for a week and was thinking I could have bought a 3LR RWD and saved $14,000. Keep in mind the Performance can eat through the battery quickly due to the big sticky tires and a lead foot. Still a lot of fun to drive though. If I were you, I'd wait until the next significant breakthrough (like new battery tech) before trading up. Then again, if money is not a major concern, go for it! Either way, enjoy the ride!

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been crunching numbers over the last few days and don’t think I can pull the trigger. I got a 40,800 offer from carmax and paid 53 otd. So not only am I spending an extra 14k to upgrade, I’m also losing 13k selling a 3 month old car which is basically mint as nobodies really even sat in it lol. So I would be over 25k... I should have made the right choice the first time. Oh well, I should have also waited another two months and got the SR for 10,000 cheaper than what I got the mid range for. Fuuuu$@&@