Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Performance Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the P3D stealth. The last time I bought a car I was trying to decide between an S4 and a used RS4. I chose the S4 as it was a more practical choice and I dont regularly track the car. However as time went on I wished I chose differently. So when it came to the Model 3 I didn't want to make the same mistake. However when I bought the car the PUP option was marketed poorly and sold as a purely cosmetic package. I didn't seem to have a good value. So I opted out of it.

At this point the current config is a steal. You'll find no car that can perform better for under $100k. And even then the car will outperform cars that cost 3x as much. It really is the best car for the money right now. But really this only matters if your an enthusiast driver. If you're a more average driver looking for a great car to get around the daily commute and still turn heads then the AWD is a great choice.

And as others have pointed out you can use the money saved to sex it up a ton.

Reactions: mswlogo
Basically, Im really torn and would love to hear everyones opinions between the two cars, and their upgrade options.

It's a very personal decision. To me the size of tires it fits is one of the most important factors due to price and availability of tires. Then there is range. I could easily get by with a lot less range for my typical usage but it sure is nice to be able to go the extra miles without thinking about a Supercharger or if you'll make it or need to reduce the heater to make it. More range = more flexibility and more peace of mind. Also longer battery life because you won't feel the need to charge it 100% all the time.

We have a Long Range and a Stealth Performance with 18" Aeros. Both are stellar cars and it would be hard to choose which one I like more. The LR is nice for it's bit of extra range and it certainly has more than enough power to be fantastic to drive in traffic without worry if it's fast enough. It is more than fast enough. The P3D is a LOT faster, almost surreal. It's fun just for how ludicrous it is but mostly it's nice for it's AWD and acceleration on lower traction surfaces. I could live with 19" wheels but I prefer the 18" and absolutely would not go with the 20".

If you have money to burn, get the P3D (and you might want to buy some wheels in a more practical size). If you don't have money to burn, I would go for the LR or AWD depending upon if the extra acceleration, especially on lower traction surfaces, is worth it to you and whether you would miss the extra range of the LR.

You know your financial situation and needs/likes better than anyone and you really can't go wrong with any of them (except perhaps that pesky wheel thing with the 20" rims).

Hey everyone,

Basically, Im really torn and would love to hear everyones opinions between the two cars, and their upgrade options.

More info needed.
3 & X are so different.
What do you plan to use the car for? Commuting? Ski Trips to the Mountains? Hauling kids and hockey gear?

Do you plan to drive in snow regularly? Then u might not want the 3 perf pkg since the tires aren’t rated for cold weather.

I have a P3D+ that I leave in “sport” mode all the time. Chill mode became to boring.
I do go to the mountains occasionally in winter, but we also have 4x2 SUV which works out ok for those trips.
Currently I’m using the 3 for commuting. The smaller car is (I think) better for parking.

As usual Your mileage may vary.

-jeff

I am rushing to the airport, so please forgive me for not having read every post yet, but I wanted to offer a slightly different take (based on what I have read through 1/2-way down page 2).

I absolutely think the entire Performace package is worth it. I think the car looks materially better on 20” wheels, and the stock tires and suspension mods are a very significant improvement over the AWD car. Having driven both, I really feel that the P is very well dialed-in and just more fun to drive than the AWD. Worth the price? To me? Absolutely.

And with regards to the low profile tires being an issue? Unless you go pothole hunting, 35-series tires are really not an issue. Yes, you need to avoid large potholes, but the improvement of the feel of the car around corners and turns is very much worth the trade off.

I will likely never use track mode, but man as an everyday driver, it is really fun to have a car this stunningly fast that doesn’t call attention to itself. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and I have no “could have gotten the faster one,” or “I hope they allow an upgrade for my AWD” thoughts running through my head.

The ONLY caveat I would make about the P is to be aware that if you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow or routinely has temperatures sustained in the 20’s (Fahrenheit), you will need a set of all season tires or snow tires. I use the Michelin AS/3+ In the same size as the stock tires and am very happy with them. The car still handles appreciably better with these shoes than the AWD IMHO and I have driven both multiple times. They cost $239, not “$300-$400 per tire.” You COULD use them as a year-round tire, but the Pilot Sport 4S’s are really an AWESOME upgrade.

Reactions: Zer0t
I would have bought a stealth, but the jump from ER AWD to performance would have meant not getting AP and potentially FSD. Plus I owe my wife a car in another year or so, so some cash to jump start that helps.

Plus while 20's look awesome I prefer the slightly more road friendly 18's, especially now that I let the car drive 80%-90% of my daily commute. Since EAP really can't (currently) avoid potholes and other random small road hazards the 18's are better able to survive those things.

While I intend to keep my 3 I think the current incarnation is kind of a bridge vehicle. Five years from now solid state batteries and some amount of FSD will probably be commonplace, and aside from the FSD computer Tesla doesn't seem to be interested in selling retrofits. This makes me slightly hesitant to go too nuts when it comes to adding on features. Not saying they should be worried about retrofits, but their focus is the Y/Semi/Roadster/Pickup, all of which are going to keep them busy for the next 3-4 years.

• Helpful
Reactions: moltenfire
Thanks for everyone giving me their thoughts and opinions. It really has helped out a ton. I have decided (if my apartment gives me charging permission) to get the non-performance LR AWD version. Considering the amount of miles that may be put on this car, the extra expense of tires among other things for that acceleration bump doesn't make it worth it for my use. I'd love to have it, but not that much. If they ever roll out a performance software unlock, then I'll be all over it. Plus the amount that might save me, by the time the Y is in full production and shipping like the 3 is now, I may be able to look into that to replace my current Ford Escape in a few years. Now just waiting to see what my apartment says!

If I was a traveling rep or needed to regularly make long drives for work, likely yes. It can be the difference between needing to charge before meeting with a client, or being able to charge after the meeting. With the P3D you're basically leaving 50+ miles on the table for every full charge.

Correction P3D+, but of course there are miles left on the table for Dual Motors too.
You numbers seemed out of line but not by much 295 miles (actual AWD rating by Tesla) * 15% for 20" wheels is 44.5 miles, yikes.

But nobody typically does a "full charge" though. For say a 60% charge (a more typical SC session) it would be 295 * 60% * 15% = 26.5 miles

Neither EPA nor Tesla rated the 20" wheels because they were optional. There is no official number. But it varies between 10-15% by owners.

And for those that claim they can get say 310 miles range with 20" wheels (which is great) you'd probably get on the order of 364 miles range with Aero's with the same driving habits/conditions.

If you factor in cost per mile make sure you add in the cost of replacing way more expensive tires probably twice as often.

Thanks for everyone giving me their thoughts and opinions. It really has helped out a ton. I have decided (if my apartment gives me charging permission) to get the non-performance LR AWD version. Considering the amount of miles that may be put on this car, the extra expense of tires among other things for that acceleration bump doesn't make it worth it for my use. I'd love to have it, but not that much. If they ever roll out a performance software unlock, then I'll be all over it. Plus the amount that might save me, by the time the Y is in full production and shipping like the 3 is now, I may be able to look into that to replace my current Ford Escape in a few years. Now just waiting to see what my apartment says!

Which wheels? Decisions decisions.

I am writing this from the perspective of someone who loves fast cars. I have a 2016 BMW M235i that continues to thrill and delight with its power, speed, and athleticism. It goes 0-60 in 4.3-4.4 seconds, much like the current 340i sedan (the BMW equivalent of an Audi S4). Its 1/4 mile time is about 12.9 seconds. The Audi S4 goes to 60 in 4.4 seconds with a quarter mile in 12.8 seconds. The dual motor Model 3 goes to 60 in about 4.3-4.4 seconds and does the quarter mile in about 12.5 seconds. That is extremely fast compared to most cars, and directly in line with its BMW and Audi fast sedan competition. You should therefore consider the dual motor version of the model 3 in line with an Audi S4 or BMW 340i in terms of performance (new M340i is another matter - it's faster @ ~4.0 to 60).

The Performance is clearly targeted at the RS5 and the BMW M3 lineup and it also clearly beats both of those in raw speed. I'm most likely getting the dual motor to replace my M235i later this year, and can take comfort that it's a slight upgrade over a car that can still shock me in its ability to gain speed rapidly. For 10K extra you do get bragging rights, but the chance to really use that performance is very rare. The decrease in range could also be an issue on long trips as would the fragile tires/wheels. Definitely don't understimate the speed of the dual motor like I've seen many do on forums or on youtube. Also you should understand the formidable cars it competes with. I am not committed to either the performance or the dual motor, but right now I'm leaning dual motor with the 19" as a compromise between the two worlds.

I am writing this from the perspective of someone who loves fast cars. I have a 2016 BMW M235i that continues to thrill and delight with its power, speed, and athleticism. It goes 0-60 in 4.3-4.4 seconds, much like the current 340i sedan (the BMW equivalent of an Audi S4). Its 1/4 mile time is about 12.9 seconds. The Audi S4 goes to 60 in 4.4 seconds with a quarter mile in 12.8 seconds. The dual motor Model 3 goes to 60 in about 4.3-4.4 seconds and does the quarter mile in about 12.5 seconds. That is extremely fast compared to most cars, and directly in line with its BMW and Audi fast sedan competition. You should therefore consider the dual motor version of the model 3 in line with an Audi S4 or BMW 340i in terms of performance (new M340i is another matter - it's faster @ ~4.0 to 60).

The Performance is clearly targeted at the RS5 and the BMW M3 lineup and it also clearly beats both of those in raw speed. I'm most likely getting the dual motor to replace my M235i later this year, and can take comfort that it's a slight upgrade over a car that can still shock me in its ability to gain speed rapidly. For 10K extra you do get bragging rights, but the chance to really use that performance is very rare. The decrease in range could also be an issue on long trips as would the fragile tires/wheels. Definitely don't understimate the speed of the dual motor like I've seen many do on forums or on youtube. Also you should understand the formidable cars it competes with. I am not committed to either the performance or the dual motor, but right now I'm leaning dual motor with the 19" as a compromise between the two worlds.
But P3D pricing closer to the S4/340i, which makes it a bargain.

Hey everyone,

New to the forums, and awaiting confirmation from my apartment on charging allowance in my garage before pulling the trigger on a Tesla. If everything with management works out though, Im planning on finally getting my dream car!

The question I keep going back and forth on is if the performance $10k upgrade is worth it. For anyone that has the performance model, do you consider it worth what you paid? I know the acceleration boost is awesome (I got to test drive both versions over time), otherwise I wouldn't even be considering it, but it still leaves me unsure.

Also, there's a tiny itch for me to just go all in on a Model X instead (performance mode if Im spending that much for the car anyway). I love the murdered out look with the carbon fiber and black interior of the X. But hearing some of the stories of how hard parts are to get for that car it just seem so chaotic. Hoping the Model 3 will be a bit easier with Elon finally talking about the SC's needing a big improvement. I know right now for any car its basically SOL with lots of things regarding SC.

If you are considering the Model X as an alternative to the Model 3 Performance then performance is probably not for you on the Model 3. I envision people that desire the most performant Tesla you can get today to opt for the P3D. Neither the S nor the X are that, no matter what variant, due to their extremely heavy bodies and old battery tech which overheats them after half lap on the track.

Depends on what are you getting the car for? If you are going to track it or drive on the streets like you would on a track then the P3D is the way to go. I do both so its worth it. For anything else, its not worth it. Just get the AWD.

This actually gave me a lot of insights that I had in my head, but seeing it written out opened my eyes much more. I knew that the costs would be higher with the performance parts, but I didn't consider as many as you listed here (especially their costs). This definitely helped a lot, so thank you for this.
I disagree that the cost of operation for a performance model 3 is more. Other than the slight decrease in range I don't see anything else as different.

- If you don't like the wheels you can replace them. I replaced mine with 19s. In fact you will not have any trouble swapping them with others who have the 19s and want the 20s at no cost since the 20s cost more.
- For tire replacements you don't have to get the expensive Michelin PS4 that the car came with. You can get any tire you want.
- Tires do not wear out faster than AWD. It all depends how you drive.
- You CAN rotate your tires on performance.
- Insurance cost is identical for performance because there is no VIN distinction between AWD and performance.
- If you have no restraint on your speed you can just as easily get speeding tickets in an AWD or RWD. Main difference between P and AWD are in takeoff not so much at higher speeds where tickets are the problem.

So to me all these things that are claimed to be more expensive on the P are all under the owner's control and have very little to do with the car itself.

Reactions: Lifeinabox
Does Tesla have a brake upgrade package for M3-AWD? I did a spirited backroad drive recently and I was impressed by the overall performance, however, one weak link was the standard brakes for that kind of driving. It would be nice if I could upgrade to the P3D+ brakes.
Tesla does not have any upgrade kits but you can easily get that aftermarket.
Model 3 AWD | Mountain Pass Performance