TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the M3 steering wheel small?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by smatthew, Jul 11, 2018.

1. smatthew

smatthew Member

Growing up, my dad used to joke that certain people wanted small steering wheels so they could drive with handcuffs on.

I took a test drive of a M3 yesterday, and I loved it, but I felt like the steering wheel was super tiny. Anyone else feel like that?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes it is too small

• Disagree x 2
  3. smatthew

smatthew Member

Oh no! What can we do? Besides keeping ourselves out of handcuffs?

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

Yeah, the wheel is smaller than most cars, even sports cars, but it feels great. It adds to the sporty feel of the vehicle, shaped nicely. No need for a larger wheel since there aren't any gauges that you have to look through the wheel to see.

• Like x 6
  6. kev1n

kev1n Member

i like the size of the model 3 steering wheel but i wish it were less thick

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

I read somewhere that the "reason" most steering wheels are larger, is because they need to allow a sightline through the wheel to instrument panel. Because this is not needed in the Model 3, the wheel is smaller and "sportier". (At least that is what I read)

• Like x 1
  8. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Quite noticeable, but I got used to it and even like it now. It now feels like I'm driving a bus when I drive our minivan.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  9. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Just.....so.....hard.....not.... to...to....

TOO MANY JOKES IN MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!

• Funny x 1
  10. Shygar

Shygar Member

Eventually you won't need a steering wheel in the car, right? :)

Personally I thought it was quite small when I first saw the car in the showroom, but after driving it the last few months I really like the size. Now my other cars feel too big and too thin :).

• Like x 1
  11. hmmm

hmmm Member

Driving gloves ;)

12. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Steering wheel is one of my complaints about the model 3 versus the model S.

I don't mind the smaller circumference so much - it actually makes getting in and out easier for me - but why does it have an angular feel to the back side of it. Why didn't they just make it round like every other wheel ever? It also doesn't seem to have the same quality as the model S. I get that the S is a lot more expensive, but it's not like the current shipping versions of the model 3 are cheap cars.

13. Faustic

Faustic Member

I'm actually loving the smaller steering wheel. It also feels nice in the hand. Then again, I'm coming from a Civic sooo...

• Like x 2
  14. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I love the wheel. For me its both a great diameter and thickness. Its firm as well, not squishy. Best stock wheel I have ever had.

• Like x 1
  15. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I got back in a Model S after driving the 3 for a few months and I felt like a riverboat captain in the S. I like the size of the steering wheel on the 3 now, but wish they had made it out of a little nicer materials.

16. Atoms

Atoms Member

Not at all. I think the wheel is just the right size. It feels great to drive.

17. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

The M3 is the correct size for a sport sedan. My STI has a small D shaped steering wheel with thumb rests. The MS/MX has an overly thick steering wheel (cue the jokes).

18. smatthew

smatthew Member

Thanks for the input. Glad to know dad was wrong about this one! And you're right - it does feel great to drive. I'm eagerly awaiting the call from my ISA.

19. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Member

It's the same size as my S2000.

--Carlos V.