Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a recommended windshield washer fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might do it for free. Or they might charge. For example, Tesla tends to charge a lot to rotate tires, apparently because it's something that can be done anywhere, and they'd rather not have that work. It might be the same for this. I think I spent about $5 for a gallon at a generic auto parts store. Not sure, but certainly not $20.

I don't see it being any different than gasoline, dealers tend to not fill that up for you.

You never filled wiper fluid before? Its sold at most gas stations, grocery stores and big box stores for a few bucks. It takes maybe 45 seconds. But yeah, the service center will probably fill it for you at no charge. They probably wont be too thrilled about it though.

I would hope that Tesla charges $50 for this. It is $.99 - $4.00 per gallon depending on the kind.

Blue - $1.50 for area's that do not freeze
Orange/Purple - $3 for the area's that get below freezing
Green Bug - $2.50 for above freezing and great if you murder a lot of insects

I would hope that Tesla charges $50 for this. It is $.99 - $4.00 per gallon depending on the kind.

Am I the only one that is against colors in my windshield fluid? The blue dries on my white car. So I’ve gone to a regular colorless and it’s great.

I use the orange Rain-X brand. It leaves a water repellent coating on the windshield just like Rain-X.

Reactions: brd7
I went in once with a wiper issue and they filled it, but yeah, this is def not a special 'blinker fluid' issue. I get the stuff at any auto supply store. Use whatever you used when you drove ICE cars (shudder). :D

I've used the Rain-X brand, seems to work well. But who knows, I don't think I've seen a real comparison of fluids (and wonder if any really do make a difference besides not freezing in low temps).

FYI to others, the notification for low washer fluid does point you towards a service appointment and a support phone number. If you're of the view this is a special car that needs special things, it's easy to see how the car suggesting you make a service appointment for low washer fluid may actually require a Tesla service centre visit. The car shouldn't recommend a service appointment for this...

But of course, yes please do go to your nearest store with cheap jugs of the stuff. Amazon is generally expensive for large volumes of otherwise cheap liquids.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC