Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there value in the Tesla 4yr CPO warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at used MS on EV-CPO and you can sort by 4yr CPO warranty and I got to thinking after reading stories and watching youtube...is there any value in this? Why would I not buy a car from a dealer or private party as well?

Is this 4yr CPO warranty worth anything? Should you buy used from Tesla?

Please help, I would like to hear from those who purchased CPO and what value they see in it...THANK YOU!

BTW, the used MS I am looking at are 2016 75/75D, maybe 15/16 90D. That also brings up a second question, why don't these have FREE supercharging?

4 year was pointless for me since I drive over 25K a year. I could get away with the 2yr warranties but I used the hell out of mine. In the first two years I racked up Parking brake failures, two autopliot cameras, trunk latch, rear A arm bushings, and some other stuff I'm missing.

I bought my car new but there is no difference as far as Tesla warranty goes, the CPO warranty is just peace of mind, like insurance. If you think you over pay buying from Tesla then just buy from anyone else and consider yourself self-insured. I still don't get why the hangup on free supercharging, I have free unlimited supercharging and probably used less than 200.00 worth the last 2 years on road trips, I do not enjoy sitting at supercharger over 30 minutes near my home just because it is free, my time is more precious than that. Even if you driver more than 100 miles a day which I used to, it is still way cheaper than gas.

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

I still don't get why the hangup on free supercharging, I have free unlimited supercharging and probably used less than 200.00 worth the last 2 years on road trips, I do not enjoy sitting at supercharger over 30 minutes near my home just because it is free, my time is more precious than that. Even if you driver more than 100 miles a day which I used to, it is still way cheaper than gas.

Agree about free supercharging, I own BMW i3 since last March and only use free DC charger which is 1 mile from my house when I need extra range at that day. 99% I charge in my garage overnight. Used inventory usually lower prices that other dealers or privet party Teslas. 4 years warranty is a big plus. I just waiting for delivery of my 2016 Model S 75 ordered January 28. (no delivery date even car located just 50 miles from delivery location :mad:).

I bought my car new but there is no difference as far as Tesla warranty goes, the CPO warranty is just peace of mind, like insurance. If you think you over pay buying from Tesla then just buy from anyone else and consider yourself self-insured. I still don't get why the hangup on free supercharging, I have free unlimited supercharging and probably used less than 200.00 worth the last 2 years on road trips, I do not enjoy sitting at supercharger over 30 minutes near my home just because it is free, my time is more precious than that. Even if you driver more than 100 miles a day which I used to, it is still way cheaper than gas.

i never said I needed it or wanted it, I merely am asking a valid question as to why these models do not have free super charging?

My understanding is in Jan 2017 they stopped free SC (I know they brought it back in 2018). These are 2016 models so why do they not have free SC?

Its a question.

I am looking at used MS on EV-CPO and you can sort by 4yr CPO warranty and I got to thinking after reading stories and watching youtube...is there any value in this? Why would I not buy a car from a dealer or private party as well?

Is this 4yr CPO warranty worth anything? Should you buy used from Tesla?

Please help, I would like to hear from those who purchased CPO and what value they see in it...THANK YOU!

BTW, the used MS I am looking at are 2016 75/75D, maybe 15/16 90D. That also brings up a second question, why don't these have FREE supercharging?

Yes the Tesla used bumper to bumper warranty is very valuable. I bought my used Model S in November 2019 and Tesla Service has been excellent in fixing all the issues that have come up but would have cost a bunch without the warranty. For me they replaced all the brakes and rotors, replaced the 12v battery, fixed 2 door handles, fixed a headliner rattle and fixed the charge port door. They gave me a Tesla loaner every time. Very happy with the warranty so far. I think it’s worth quite a bit.

As for free supercharging, Tesla stripped free supercharging from all used vehicles sold as of July 2019. Nobody really knows why but I’m guessing they removed it because they didn’t want the used vehicles having better perks than the new ones.

I have 82k on my 2015 70D. The only repairs after 50k miles that I went to Tesla for was the 12V battery which is questionably under warranty anyway - certainly not most warranties (but obviously on the post above).

Now I have 2 issues that I need to fix and not going to Tesla for. One rear door handle is giving me intermittent issues. Sounds like a microswitch by my research. The part is $5 or so. Then yesterday, my front driver's door stopped presenting. Most likely the $2 gear broke.

So I have a weekend project and maybe $20 (I am going to buy a tool or two).

Your ability to DIY is a big part of the value of a warranty. You can pay $200 or $1000 for a door handle repair. Most likely $200.

Generally people are paranoid about high repair costs and favor paying for the peace of mind. In a rational market, risk is rewarded.

Now the 75 and 90 were not Tesla's best batteries....

I bought my 2014 in 2017 at 65k and now has 94k, I have spent in the ballpark of $4000 on repairs which I believe is the extended warranty price and there are a few issues I would fix now if it were a matter of a copay rather than outright bill.
My car is dual charger equipped, but one of them has a fault which means the car can only pull 72 amps instead of 80. Before someone tells me it is a 72amp charger you are wrong those came later.
Also the charge port lights are half out and show goofy colors in wet weather. These two issues would be around $2500 to fix, not worth that to me, but if it were a couple hundred dollars I would.

While I'm the DIY guy, I will never own a Tesla out of warranty. Too many components that I can't and won't mess around with.
You also pay a measurable premium to be "in warranty" so that has to be taken into account as well. You can fix a lot of problems or even pay Tesla to fix a lot of problems for the price difference between similar cars but one is slightly older and out-of-warranty.

You also pay a measurable premium to be "in warranty" so that has to be taken into account as well. You can fix a lot of problems or even pay Tesla to fix a lot of problems for the price difference between similar cars but one is slightly older and out-of-warranty.
I disagree with you a bit on this one. From what I've seen, most of the used cars are only a couple grand less than what Tesla charges for a similar vehicle. That's more than worth it IMHO for peace of mind.

I disagree with you a bit on this one. From what I've seen, most of the used cars are only a couple grand less than what Tesla charges for a similar vehicle. That's more than worth it IMHO for peace of mind.
The word "similar" leaves a wide margin for trying to compare apples to apples. A couple of options, some miles and questionable history/repairs/condition make it very difficult to compare exactly to get a true difference in these cars being only warranty or not. Maybe you're seeing the lower end of that margin and I'm focused on the upper end but I'm seeing the difference being quite substantial.

I was also more comparing what vehicle you can get that's off-warranty which can be older with more miles as compared to a newer car with fewer miles that tends to be more of the in-warranty specimen. I'm not saying that there's no value in a Tesla extended warranty but often times I think the value doesn't meet or exceeded the actual cost in terms of what actual repairs may be.

This is more case-specific though so it's hard to make blanket statements that apply to ALL individual situations such as we're doing.

Im a DIY guy myself. And typically I purchased used vehicles directly from owners, and with no warranty. I maintain myself, drive for 2-3 years, take LOTS of pics, post my own ads, then sell directly to a buyer. That way I pay lowest price, have lowest maintenance costs, and I sell for max profit.

But with Tesla? Too many unknowns, minimal support from Tesla to work on yourself, and minimal third party repair shop support. So, one of my top priorities was buying used from Tesla to include as much warranty as the car could have. (4yr/50 and the 8 year unlimited drivetrain)

Im a DIY guy myself. And typically I purchased used vehicles directly from owners, and with no warranty. I maintain myself, drive for 2-3 years, take LOTS of pics, post my own ads, then sell directly to a buyer. That way I pay lowest price, have lowest maintenance costs, and I sell for max profit.

But with Tesla? Too many unknowns, minimal support from Tesla to work on yourself, and minimal third party repair shop support. So, one of my top priorities was buying used from Tesla to include as much warranty as the car could have. (4yr/50 and the 8 year unlimited drivetrain)

If you buy a 2017 used MS are you getting 5 years warranty? The 4 year CPO and the 1 year left on the original.