Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It IS possible to charge at 24A from a 120V TT-30 plug...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that EVSEAdapters makes a NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter. One review indicated success: "
"Worked fine for me. I had no 20 amp limitation from my Tesla S. Set to 24 amps, I get a solid 14 km/h charge rate (8,75 miles/hours)."
http://mon.pq.org/depot/monpq_534f1f95de45d.jpg

nematt30-to-1450-500-360x360.jpg

Has anyone ever charged at 277V?

Yes, I have, however the amperage drops to 36 amps to keep the "10kW" rating. My theory of how a 120kW Supercharger (they all operate at 277 volts) with 12 Tesla chargers inside that would normally only pull 36 amps are just bumped to 40 amps.

Viola... 133.5kW with the exact same 12 little chargers in one big Supercharger case.

Has anyone ever charged at 277V?

277 Volts is the L-N Voltage on a 480 Volt, 3-phase system and is what most of the new Superchargers are connected to. 480 Volt, 3-Phase has 480 Volts, L-L, and 277 Volts, L-N, which is proportional to Voltages on a 208 Volt, 3-Phase connection which is 208 Volts, L-L, and 120 Volts, L-N.

If you have ever plugged into a 120 kW or 135 kW Supercharger, the chargers in the Supercharger were getting their AC at 277 Volts.

This does bring up an interesting question: If you were in a commercial location with 277 Volts available, could you connect an HPWC to that via a 100 Amp breaker, and charge at 277 Volts and 80 Amps; that would be about 22 kW AC (or 62 mph) like the Europeans can get with dual chargers!

This does bring up an interesting question: If you were in a commercial location with 277 Volts available, could you connect an HPWC to that via a 100 Amp breaker, and charge at 277 Volts and 80 Amps; that would be about 22 kW AC (or 62 mph) like the Europeans can get with dual chargers!
No. As Tony stated above, for some reason the US chargers are software limited to 10kw(per charger), while the European cars get the full 11kw.

I had understood that the dual charging only works on a Tesla HPWC charger, are you saying that it can also dual charge on other types of chargers such as a 70 amp/240 V Clipper?

Any Tesla Model S with dual chargers will charge up to 80 amps with ANY J1772 charge station, yes. Tesla is 100% compatible with J1772, or "Type 1" in Europe.

The only thing extra required is the adaptor to physically plug it in. That adaptor is supplied with every USA delivered car.

To add to what Tony said, there's nothing magic about the HPWC. Electrically, it's just a standard J1772 80A EVSE with a proprietary plug. The car can't tell the difference between charging on a HPWC and any other EVSE with the same current capacity (ie, same pilot signal).

The only difference between the HPWC and any other EVSE is the non-standard plug and the button/transmitter to pop the door.

Yesterday, I was up at Watson Lake, AZ, and tried out my TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for the first time. I also hit the 20A cap. (Occasionally it would hover above and hit 21A.)
Have we determined it's the newer VIN chargers, or is there a possibility it's newer UMC's that allow the higher limit?

Yesterday, I was up at Watson Lake, AZ, and tried out my TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for the first time. I also hit the 20A cap. (Occasionally it would hover above and hit 21A.)
Have we determined it's the newer VIN chargers, or is there a possibility it's newer UMC's that allow the higher limit?

I charged at 24A recently. My VIN is 4050. See sig for buildout and dates.

Used a TT-30 to 14-50 with no issue.