Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Results of LTE speed test. Car delivered 6/6/15
View attachment 83539View attachment 83543

What I find interesting is that my car is showing 3G but performing about the same (except for the latency measurement). And perhaps faster, if the slower numbers shown in the images I've clipped out are more typical.

Apologies for the fingerprints... the light was falling exactly the wrong way! :redface:

IMG_20150605_142221.jpg

I don't get it... the quoted images were showing when I posted, but not now...

Last edited:
It's real it happened. There's documented proof around here somewhere with pictures where you can count the pixels in screen elements between the newer vehicles and the older vehicles and the newer vehicles have more pixels. It's not something that's super obvious if you're not looking for it.

I'll take your word for it for now :)

When date was your car manufactured and when did you receive it? My P85D was manufactured 5/14-19 and received Saturday. I am sad to say that I have 3G.

I'm not exactly sure. It seems like yours entered production before mine, but we got them at about the same time. I wouldn't stress, folks with 3G are reporting speedtest results that are the same as mine. Oh yeah, and your car is a hell of a lot faster than mine! :smile:

Okay, I took delivery today of my S85D and it does have LTE enabled. I don't have anything earlier to compare it to but it managed to have coverage on the underground floor of my office's parking garage. My phone didn't even have service there.

Okay, I took delivery today of my S85D and it does have LTE enabled. I don't have anything earlier to compare it to but it managed to have coverage on the underground floor of my office's parking garage. My phone didn't even have service there.

I'd guess that Model S has a much more powerful antenna system than something like an iPhone. It certainly has the battery capacity to put a little extra power into data transmission.

To answer the questions of how traffic is being routed. . . I sniffed the traffic going over my wifi and back to the Tesla.

When I opened up the iPhone app and it queried the car, all traffic went over OpenVPN back to a Tesla owned IP address.

When I browsed sites in my Tesla, they were going out over HTTP/HTTPS traffic - NOT through the VPN. So Tesla is doing what I would expect - any communications they do with the car is over the VPN, any web browsing is not. I saw a TON of Google traffic, which is probably exactly that - the Google traffic displayed on the screen. Also not over the VPN.

Pretty sure they already are vector-based.
If they are, it seems like a bad implementation of it to me. Vector-based art shouldn't have to refresh the screen (slowly!) tile by tile when I toggle day/night mode.

That said, even for bitmap/image based mapping Tesla/Google could do better. Change the palette on the tile when toggling day/night mode rather than download a new tile image. I wonder if somebody patent-blocked this or something because it's a totally obvious optimization for network bandwidth and for better value out of locally cached tiles.

To answer the questions of how traffic is being routed. . . I sniffed the traffic going over my wifi and back to the Tesla.

When I opened up the iPhone app and it queried the car, all traffic went over OpenVPN back to a Tesla owned IP address.

When I browsed sites in my Tesla, they were going out over HTTP/HTTPS traffic - NOT through the VPN. So Tesla is doing what I would expect - any communications they do with the car is over the VPN, any web browsing is not. I saw a TON of Google traffic, which is probably exactly that - the Google traffic displayed on the screen. Also not over the VPN.
Thanks for that - I for one find it very interesting!

Have you pondered the way 3G (and maybe LTE now apparently) functions? I'm curious if you think my thoughts in post #189 are on the right track?

Thanks for that - I for one find it very interesting!

Have you pondered the way 3G (and maybe LTE now apparently) functions? I'm curious if you think my thoughts in post #189 are on the right track?

I believe you have it mostly right - the 3G/LTE networks always 'tunnel' the IP traffic over some protocol or other back to a gateway to 'the internet'. For example, I buy my phone service from a reseller who get the data connection from the phone in the form of an L2TP protocol tunnel from the network operator; they normally assign it an IP address and connect to the public internet at their data centre, but if I want they will forward on the L2TP to me so I can terminate it on a private network.

Similarly, Model S in Europe all end up with Spanish IP addresses, since Tesla's contract is with Telefonica and they break out onto the public internet at their HQ in Spain.