Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still wonder if a upgrade is technically possible on my 2013 Model S. Swap of modem would be doable, but would it require a change of antennas?

It most likely would not require a change of the antenna. Most cellular carriers are deploying LTE on the same frequency bands as were used for 3G. It is the carrier frequency (frequency band) that determines the antenna design, not physical-layer, modulation design.

It most likely would not require a change of the antenna. Most cellular carriers are deploying LTE on the same frequency bands as were used for 3G. It is the carrier frequency (frequency band) that determines the antenna design, not physical-layer, modulation design.

In Europe, it's more complicated since there's both new allocations and re-farming of existing allocations, and also the existing 2G/3G allocations are not the same between the different operators.

For example, in the UK where we have four operators:
Operator2G3GLTE
EE1800MHz2100MHz800, 1800(ex-2G), 2600MHz
ThreeNo 2G2100MHz800, 1800(Purchased from EE)
Vodafone900MHz900(ex-2G), 2100MHz800, 2600MHz
O2 (as currently used by Tesla)900MHz900(ex-2G), 2100MHz800MHz
LTE allocations above are what they have licenses for; not necessarily using all of them yet - not least because customers don't yet have phones for them (iPhone5 for example supports LTE on 1800MHz but not 800MHz).

The Model S definitely supports 900MHz and 2300MHz for 3G and 900MHz for 2G, probably 1800MHz as well. They would have no reason to have antennae suited for 800MHz, unless for deliberate future-proofing.

So my guess would be that if you upgraded the radios without upgrading the antennae, you would get LTE in some areas but not all. However, if you are looking to LTE for coverage rather than throughput it's likely to be that missing 800MHz that's most important.

Last edited:
In Europe, it's more complicated since there's both new allocations and re-farming of existing allocations, and also the existing 2G/3G allocations are not the same between the different operators.

For example, in the UK where we have four operators:
Operator2G3GLTE
EE1800MHz2300MHz800, 1800(ex-2G), 2600MHz
ThreeNo 2G2300MHz800, 1800(Purchased from EE)
Vodafone900MHz900(ex-2G), 2300MHz800, 2600MHz
O2 (as currently used by Tesla)900MHz900(ex-2G), 2300MHz800MHz
LTE allocations above are what they have licenses for; not necessarily using all of them yet - not least because customers don't yet have phones for them (iPhone5 for example supports LTE on 1800MHz but not 800MHz).

The Model S definitely supports 900MHz and 2300MHz for 3G and 900MHz for 2G, probably 1800MHz as well. They would have no reason to have antennae suited for 800MHz, unless for deliberate future-proofing.

So my guess would be that if you upgraded the radios without upgrading the antennae, you would get LTE in some areas but not all. However, if you are looking to LTE for coverage rather than throughput it's likely to be that missing 800MHz that's most important.

Good point about 800Mhz. That was the problem with the iPhone 5 and got fixed with the 5s.

I really want LTE since that makes the Nav and Radio a lot better. 800Mhz LTE is what you want.

That's more like it.

Do you find everything loading significantly quicker?

Like somebody said there's no reference for me to compare with. I do have relative and friends with older Teslas, will do some comparison once I see them.

I do find interesting the download speed is much lower than upload. On my iPhone (which should also be on the same AT&T LTE tower) it tested 12.6Mbps down and 4.54 Mbps up. Maybe Tesla intentionally set them up this way to collect traffic and drive data for Autopilot purposes?

Like somebody said there's no reference for me to compare with. I do have relative and friends with older Teslas, will do some comparison once I see them.

I do find interesting the download speed is much lower than upload. On my iPhone (which should also be on the same AT&T LTE tower) it tested 12.6Mbps down and 4.54 Mbps up. Maybe Tesla intentionally set them up this way to collect traffic and drive data for Autopilot purposes?
It is odd that the upload speed is much higher than download. Usually it's the other way around.
My Google Nexus 5 LTE phone on T-Mobile gets 73 Mbps download and 15.5 Mbps upload with a 148 ms latency.

Here's what my 85D (P70XXX, built sometime in late Feb / early March), reported tonight (v6.2 2.4.236):
hUTEIs4.jpg

High upstream and lower downstream speeds are often a result of a speed cap (or "throttling") of the downstream speed. It wouldn't shock me if they were intentionally capping the downstream speed. ISPs do do this frequently. There's less need to cap upstream as it is less used (and not capping it makes things seem snappy with less cost to the ISP). No idea if that's what's happening but it is a good guess.

I just want to know how Tesla plans to roll this out to the fleet...
It is a hardware change, so Tesla won't be automatically updating older cars to LTE, if that is what you are expecting. I believe there was an indication from Tesla that it would be available as a hardware upgrade, for a price. The upgrade price has not been announced yet.

It is a hardware change, so Tesla won't be automatically updating older cars to LTE, if that is what you are expecting. I believe there was an indication from Tesla that it would be available as a hardware upgrade, for a price. The upgrade price has not been announced yet.

Is there a potential that something like this might be covered under a service ($600) appointment?