Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, if you count the number of pixels at the top of the 1 ("one") in each photo they are exactly the same. The two photos have a lightly different focus and sharpness which creates an illusion of a greater difference than there actually is if you count pixels.

Uh.. nope. There are more pixels in the supposed higher resolution version (5 in the hi rez solid white (6 total) versus 4 in the lo rez (plus a row of lightly lit)) .

You can also see an extra 'step' on the top of the '1' (4 steps in the hi rez versus 3 in the lower rez).

Back on the subject of LTE -

My ancient P85's firmware upgraded to .239 last Thursday and maybe it's my imagination, but since then, my Navi screen photo maps seem to be refreshing a good bit quicker on 3G.

Has anyone else noticed an improvement since upgrading to .239?

The VPN only carries traffic destined for Tesla's systems. Media, browsing, nav map tiles etc don't go through it.
If that was true, why does the speedtest site see an IP that is extremely unlikely to be that of the car itself? The IP it saw when I tested was assigned to Jasper (Jasper | The ON Switch for The Internet of Thingsâ„¢) and their Internet of Things... Tesla is rumoured to be a customer. Traceroute'ing it gets me to New York state before the trail goes cold. If there is no VPN involved, the routing of my web browser would be controlled by the Rogers network I'm on and speedof.me would see the assigned public IP. And the latency would likely be much improved over what I'm seeing... which would probably also improve the browsing experience.

FWIW, HSPA is probably the most in line with the speeds I'm seeing, but with the possibility of a VPN and data compression on the fly, all bets are off.

If that was true, why does the speedtest site see an IP that is extremely unlikely to be that of the car itself? The IP it saw when I tested was assigned to Jasper (Jasper | The ON Switch for The Internet of Thingsâ„¢) and their Internet of Things... Tesla is rumoured to be a customer. Traceroute'ing it gets me to New York state before the trail goes cold. If there is no VPN involved, the routing of my web browser would be controlled by the Rogers network I'm on and speedof.me would see the assigned public IP. And the latency would likely be much improved over what I'm seeing... which would probably also improve the browsing experience.

FWIW, HSPA is probably the most in line with the speeds I'm seeing, but with the possibility of a VPN and data compression on the fly, all bets are off.

Because the 3G service for North American cars is provided by Jasper, who use SIM cards homed on the AT&T / Rogers networks, but who evidently do their own authentication and IP addressing.

In the EU Tesla use a Telefonica service and all the cars get IP addresses from a Telefonica IP block that geolocates to Spain.

If your web traffic were being routed through Tesla's VPN you'd see an IP address owned by Tesla Motors.

And if your traffic were all being routed through Tesla's VPN when on 3G then it would also all go through their VPN when on wifi, which it doesn't since you can watch the traffic and see web requests, music streaming etc (as well as a separate load of OpenVPN traffic going to/from a Tesla Motors host).

The model 70D we took delivery last Friday has LTE as well. Will run some speed test after I get home tonight.
image.jpg

Because the 3G service for North American cars is provided by Jasper, who use SIM cards homed on the AT&T / Rogers networks, but who evidently do their own authentication and IP addressing.
Interesting stuff. Your comments made me dig deeper and I found this: Mobile IP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which was all new to me. I'm not sure it's exactly what is going on here, but seems like analogous behavior. At the heart of it is an IP tunnel that essentially lets you masquerade as a static IP (Jasper's in this case) even though you are getting a fresh public IP on the cellular network you've roamed onto. Or so I interpret it. So it might not be a true VPN with encryption and decryption on the endpoints, but it's tunneling all the same. It would appear to explain the latency issues too.

If your web traffic were being routed through Tesla's VPN you'd see an IP address owned by Tesla Motors.
Agreed, I have never seen that but assume Tesla has some sort of deal with Jasper. How Tesla-destined traffic is routed is anyone's guess.

And if your traffic were all being routed through Tesla's VPN when on 3G then it would also all go through their VPN when on wifi, which it doesn't since you can watch the traffic and see web requests, music streaming etc (as well as a separate load of OpenVPN traffic going to/from a Tesla Motors host).
Based on this, there could very well be an encrypted VPN tunnel within the cellular IP tunnel too, ensuring Tesla traffic is always encrypted. It makes me wonder why the Jasper system is used for the cellular connection when, from your comments, wifi is apparently not an issue and seems to function without the static (?) Jasper IP. I will have to do some experimenting of my own to get my head around how this works, and why it has been configured this way... because everything I've seen so far seems to suggest that all data is put through the Jasper IP tunnel when on the cellular network.

Same here! Also P85 pre-autopilot (Sept 2014), .239 update still 3G but nav scrolling is perceptibly faster/smoother :)

Back on the subject of LTE -

My ancient P85's firmware upgraded to .239 last Thursday and maybe it's my imagination, but since then, my Navi screen photo maps seem to be refreshing a good bit quicker on 3G.

Has anyone else noticed an improvement since upgrading to .239?

That may be due to some software optimization of the Nav app that came with .239 and not because of a faster cell data connection.

THIS.

To me it feels like the processing and displaying of map tiles (and web pages) is what needs to be improved. On optimized devices also running 3G, maps and websites load much faster. LTE would only bring a marginal improvement.

Now, if we could do away with map tiles altogether and switch to vector-based maps... but that's a subject for another discussion.

Last edited:
Anyone from Europe with 4G/LTE ?
My new S85D has been built in Fremont on April, 27th.
Then it is disassembled to go to Europe and reassembled in Germany. I will take delivery on June, 29th in Belgium (yes... two months later).
Anybody knows if the cellular chipset in mounted during the first build in Fremont, or during the reassembly phase in Germany (since it might be region specific) ?
I am trying to guess what are the odds of having LTE (4G in Europe) enabled.

Thanks,
David

Anyone from Europe with 4G/LTE ?
My new S85D has been built in Fremont on April, 27th.
Then it is disassembled to go to Europe and reassembled in Germany. I will take delivery on June, 29th in Belgium (yes... two months later).
Anybody knows if the cellular chipset in mounted during the first build in Fremont, or during the reassembly phase in Germany (since it might be region specific) ?
I am trying to guess what are the odds of having LTE (4G in Europe) enabled.

Thanks,
David

The EU "factory is in Tilburg-Holland unless there is a new place in Germany....... :) I had my car delivered one week ago and do not have LTE (4G) activated so I suspect the hardware is the same for all over the world since GSM since 3G has had the same or similar protocols all over the world. Suspect they just plugg in the region specific SIM-card locally and then off they go. So I would expect the first deliveries in EU with 4G would be end of July beginning of August......