Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's A Wall Connector!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeezerSquid

Still a Geezer & Still A Squid
Jun 17, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
The charger is an on-board charger. {Sarcasm font ON} The $500 thing you hang on your wall is simply the connector. Y'all are driving my OCD nuts!! Sorry if I sound cranky, but it's 2020! My wife of 55 years died 5 months ago. My brother of 74 years died 2 weeks ago. I tripped and fell on the carport a few day ago and landed on my right eyebrow!! Had a serious black eye for a while. It's now just an angry dark red area. And yes, before you ask, I tripped on something I left on the floor. I'm on the edge. Please try to get things correct for the next 2 months! I trust 2021 will be better!!! {Sarcarsm font OFF}

Even though sarcasm font was on, those are real events in my 2020 horror show.

Got me!!! No wait a minute. I specifically said "that you hang on your wall". Is your super charger hanging on your wall?? And how in the world did you aquire one. Are you the guy that bought one on Ebay? I watched your video if it was you?? Wow that was quite risky wasn't it?? But if it worked as well at it seemed, that was truly assume!!

I don't mind not using the word "charger", but only so as not to get trolled. Charger is defined as "one that charges", and to charge (verb)

2a(1) : to give an electric charge to charge a capacitor
(2) : to restore the active materials in (a storage battery) by the passage of a direct current through in the opposite direction to that of discharge
b(1) : to place a charge (as of powder) in
(2) : to load or fill to capacity

It is sufficiently broadly enough defined.

Wikipedia has an entry for "battery charger", but nothing for "charger".

Battery charger - Wikipedia

Another similar device is an "A/C adapter". We have been calling these items "chargers" in layman's terms since they existed.

There is also the "charging station" term which is the same thing as the wall connector.

It is simple English to add -er to any verb, even if the term was not in use, and it does not need refer to existing patents and trademarks.

Try going around to everyone with a laptop and trying to get them to stop calling them chargers. That's not how language works. How people use a word becomes its meaning.

1st generation Tesla "Electric Vehicle Service Equipment" were "High Power Wall Connector" ("HPWC"), NOT "High Power Supercharger".

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l-connector-installation-installation-a-b.pdf

Proof is on my "inventory" 2015 Tesla P85D listing. Yes, you used to be able to buy a "High Power Wall Connector" when you ordered your Tesla.
2015 Tesla S P85D 3k miles $122k Pegasus VIN redacted.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3f52.jpg

Last edited:
The charger is an on-board charger. {Sarcasm font ON} The $500 thing you hang on your wall is simply the connector. Y'all are driving my OCD nuts!! Sorry if I sound cranky, but it's 2020! My wife of 55 years died 5 months ago. My brother of 74 years died 2 weeks ago. I tripped and fell on the carport a few day ago and landed on my right eyebrow!! Had a serious black eye for a while. It's now just an angry dark red area. And yes, before you ask, I tripped on something I left on the floor. I'm on the edge. Please try to get things correct for the next 2 months! I trust 2021 will be better!!! {Sarcarsm font OFF}

Even though sarcasm font was on, those are real events in my 2020 horror show.
Wow. I hope you didn’t trip over your charger.

"Wow. I hope you didn’t trip over your charger." Funny on several levels! But not a chance as my charger is buried deep inside my car somewhere!! I could have tripped over the Wall Connector cord though. But I didn't. I tripped over an outdoor trash bag holder that HAD a plastic rectangle floor piece with two aluminum poles that went up the back to a plastic hoop to which the trash bag was attached. Well, I was carried something at the time and tried to nudge the holder back out of my way. All that did was tilt the blood thirsty device away from me and lift up the front of the plastic base. That promptly took my right foot out the balance equation my feeble brain was working on. That bag holder stand now looks like either a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle or something you would buy at ikea. It not only tried to kill me by tripping me, but also by breaking into a jillion sharp, jagged edged pieces (20 year old plastic = very brittle). I now have several new piercings as a result.

The previous owner had several phone lines installed in the garage... obviously by a sloppy installer. Fortunately they're covered by the shelving we installed in front of them so visually it's not an issue.

All that does show is our HPWC and (now discontimued) WattBox 200 PEV virtual submeter which measures and logs our Tesla HPWC usage precisely. New Product - WattBox 200!

Much better visually.

L5ak6BH7SAmnRiN9AFq1yw_thumb_3f95.jpg

Can somebody give a tl;dr on why somebody should get a $500-1000 wall connector if they already have a 240 hookup? Genuinely confused here.
  • Significantly faster charge rate (80A for our gen1 HPWC)
  • Can just leave our Corded Mobile Connector in our Tesla... instead of having to remember take it with us... and coil / uncoil it
  • Integrated with our SoCal Edison ("SCE") PEV virtual submeter... which allowed us to have our Tesla charging on a separate meter & EV price plan (now discontinued)
  • Longer HPWC cord allows us to charge our Tesla when parked outside (onboard cord was too short)
  • Green strobing lights and stainless steel cover look SO much better than a Corded Mobile Connector
  • Came with our "inventory" Tesla (in 2015 you could add a HPWC to your order)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Can somebody give a tl;dr on why somebody should get a $500-1000 wall connector if they already have a 240 hookup? Genuinely confused here.
There are a few reasons, which just may or may not matter to you:
1. Some people like the fancy look.
2. The mobile charging cable that plugs into an outlet can only supply 32 amps maximum. I you want faster charging speed, you would need the wall connector, which can supply up to 48 amps max.
3. Some people are paranoid about wanting to keep the mobile charging cord in the car will them all the time. I don't figure I'm going to spontaneously drive hundreds of miles away and use an outlet, so don't agree with that one.

And that's it. But it's not truly necessary. I've had my Model S since March 2014, and I still just use the original mobile charging cord, plugged into a 14-50 outlet in the wall, and it stays hanging on a hook on my garage wall. I sometimes bring it with me on a longer trip once or twice a year, but with so much Supercharger and public charging station coverage, it's not even needed on most trips either.

The Wall Connector is all-weather rated, can be installed outdoors and used in all weather conditions if the Wall Connector is hard wired into the circuit as intended. The Mobile Connector is not designed for prolonged exposure, use in wet environments. The power plug end of the Mobile Connector is not all-weather rated, that is probably the weakest link.

My frustration with both the current Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector and the current Gen 2 Mobile Connector is that the charging cable (18ft) is too short for my needs. If Tesla was to again offer a 24ft length charging cable on any wall or mobile connector product I would consider installing it.

Last edited:

For me it was an easy decision: 1) it only costs $800 installed, I simply skipped buying a new gun that week and 2) it's shiny and has bright lights on the front!!

For me the decision was easy. Yes, my Model Y came with Gen2 Mobile Connector. But the question was do I always want to be plugging ithe Mobile Connector into the Car and then packing it into the car everytime that I want to go somewhere or taking the chance of leaving it at home? It also, only charges at 32 miles per hour in a with a 50 amp circuit. Whereas having the Gen2 Wall Connector allows me to charge at 44 miles per hour.

I could have purchased a second Gen2 Mobile Connector Bundle at $275, a Cable Organizer at $35 and a Gen2 14/50 Adaptor at $35, but once again I would have only been charging at 32 miles per hour.

I bought my Model Y for to make life simplier and with tax I have invested about $77k so far. So, when spending this amount of money what is an extra $300.

Reactions: jpfive