Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's happening....FSD v9 to be released (to current beta testers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s seriously it? 71 beta testers?

"Last October, Tesla introduced a new product called “Full Self-Driving” (FSD) beta to vehicle owners in its Early Access Program. The update enabled drivers to access Autopilot’s partially automated driver assist system on city streets and local roads. The early access program is used as a testing platform to help iron out software bugs. In the DMV memo, Tesla said that as of March 9th there were 824 vehicles in the pilot program, including 753 employees and 71 non-employees."

Reactions: imola.zhp
Just my take on ~12 minutes of night time V9 videos:

1. Overall disappointed with the driving performance. Some aspects have gotten smoother and more confident, but the incorrect lane choice issues are still there after 4-5 months.

2. The vision-only placement of objects in 3D space is super impressive and stable, evident in parking lots.

3. The visualization is a lot better, but that doesn't mean much if the driving isn't a lot better as well.

4. The car has a standardized slow procedure (stop and then creep 1-2mph) at stop signs, but it's much slower than before.

Verdict so far: no wide release for at least another 3 months

Just my take on ~12 minutes of night time V9 videos:

1. Overall disappointed with the driving performance. Some aspects have gotten smoother and more confident, but the incorrect lane choice issues are still there after 4-5 months.

2. The vision-only placement of objects in 3D space is super impressive and stable, evident in parking lots.

3. The visualization is a lot better, but that doesn't mean much if the driving isn't a lot better as well.

4. The car has a standardized slow procedure (stop and then creep 1-2mph) at stop signs, but it's much slower than before.

Verdict so far: no wide release for at least another 3 months
I wish I could disagree but with the very little I’ve seen I can’t. Hopefully in a couple of weeks they will iron out some glaring issues like how to handle flashing lights.

Very cool maneuver with a car door open here, especially impressive with vision-only:

SmartSelect_20210710-083434_YouTube.gif

Very cool maneuver with a car door open here, especially impressive with vision-only:

View attachment 683218
I both agree and disagree. Cool that the car maneuvered around the open door car but the fact that the car crossed a double line to do it would warrant a ticket if observed. It appears there was far more than enough time to stop based on what I see. It’s situations like this that make it obvious to me that we are nowhere near full autonomous driving because AI is so far from achieving basic human reasoning without being provided a ton of samples to model for an innumerable set of situations.

I both agree and disagree. Cool that the car maneuvered around the open door car but the fact that the car crossed a double line to do it would warrant a ticket if observed. It appears there was far more than enough time to stop based on what I see. It’s situations like this that make it obvious to me that we are nowhere near full autonomous driving because AI is so far from achieving basic human reasoning without being provided a ton of samples to model for an innumerable set of situations.
I can't think of any human that would stop in that situation. I also don't think the double yellow was crossed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ramphex and sewing1
I am also very frustated by this - I see all sorts of headlines that say "FSD finally released!!" and in reality, its for 2,000 people that are part of a special program, and 92% of them are tesla employees.

The headlines really should just say "Tesla rolls out a few more alpha testers", not that its "released".

Matt
It's also not remotely close to what anyone who didn't wear a helmet to school would describe as "full self driving"

I am also very frustated by this - I see all sorts of headlines that say "FSD finally released!!" and in reality, its for 2,000 people that are part of a special program, and 92% of them are tesla employees.

The headlines really should just say "Tesla rolls out a few more alpha testers", not that its "released".

Matt
Blame the press for click-bait, not Tesla.

It's also not remotely close to what anyone who didn't wear a helmet to school would describe as "full self driving"
Quite right, and yes its a silly name, probably thought up by some marketing person. What if they called it “Driver Assist Pro”? Would that make you feel better?

Yes, they are not there yet, but look how far they have come. Even 15 years ago what the car is doing today would have been the realm of science fiction. Really. And yet today we have a car that can reconstruct a 3D world from camera images (incredible), identify and position the objects in that world (amazing), make path predictions about those objects movements (stunning), and navagate a safe path for the car that obeys the numerous and often conflicting traffic laws.

It’s easy to point out the things the car still gets wrong (and that’s a good thing, as otherwise they wont get fixed). But let’s not lose sight of how breath-taking the progress has been (and continues to be).

Matt
It's for 71 public testers.. not 2000..

Blame the press for click-bait, not Tesla.

Nah, Elon is complicit. He's all about that hype and rarely about correcting inaccuracies in Tesla's favor.

lol, this is a not a public beta, this is still a closed beta with 2000 ppl, of which most are employees.
Public beta will be when they roll it out to the entire EAP group. Much larger pool.
EAP would still be closed beta.

There was no oncoming traffic, that is how most people would have done that. You must have really pissed off a cop if you get a ticket for that.