Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's happening....FSD v9 to be released (to current beta testers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me this horrendous use of the screen for the "mind of car" is limited to only if you have FSD Beta. Please. I will be furious if the driving visualization takes over more of the screen than it already has.
It's coming to all HW3 vehicles. HW2.5 FTW!
Someone prominent should tweet Elon and tell him to remove the visualization when there is no passenger in the car since impressing passengers is the only purpose for it as far as I can tell. I drive way better while looking out the windows than I do trying to drive while looking at the visualization (the visualized distance is way too short!).

Personally, I'm excited for the new viz. I only go on a few road trips a year, and outside of that, I generally know where I'm going so it's not like I'm using the maps everyday. For those who want the map real estate back.. are you heavy road trippers or are there other reasons for the outrage?

Personally, I'm excited for the new viz. I only go on a few road trips a year, and outside of that, I generally know where I'm going so it's not like I'm using the maps everyday. For those who want the map real estate back.. are you heavy road trippers or are there other reasons for the outrage?
Because seeing a map has actual value. I can't see that with my eyes through the windshield. Everything in the Mind Of Car I can see through the windshield, *meaningfully better* than the car can.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me this horrendous use of the screen for the "mind of car" is limited to only if you have FSD Beta. Please. I will be furious if the driving visualization takes over more of the screen than it already has.
I'm pretty sure its adjustable. Looks like you can set it to either roughly 1/3 of the screen (like how it is now) or have it take up 2/3 of the screen.

Edit: Looking back at screenshots of the v9 software, it does look like the visualization window is quite a bit larger, even in the "small" setting.

If the UI on the center screen is what "Tesla Vision" / Dojo / whatever is "seeing," it's doing a very poor job of picking up inanimate objects. It's not just those columns, I saw someone going through Chicago and it just wasn't picking up objects in a construction zone that weren't a truck or car. I don't know if the UI is exactly what it's going off of, but if it is, Tesla Vision (or vision only) doesn't seem all that great.
And that is how AI/NNs work. They don't "see stuff" .. they can, through very extensive training, pick out individual items like cars and cones, that they have been explicitly trained to recognize. Everything is is just a blur of pixels that are ignored. If the car has not been explicitly trained to distinguish concrete columns it will behave as if they are not here and drive right into it (well, the ultrasonic sensors will kick in at some point).

I'm pretty sure its adjustable. Looks like you can set it to either roughly 1/3 of the screen (like how it is now) or have it take up 2/3 of the screen.

Edit: Looking back at screenshots of the v9 software, it does look like the visualization window is quite a bit larger, even in the "small" setting.
If you look at the v9 beta release notes they explain that the visualization view gets larger when FSD is active (as it should, since this is the part of the screen you need to watch carefully). However, there is a toggle to disable this in the Autopilot screen.

Because seeing a map has actual value. I can't see that with my eyes through the windshield. Everything in the Mind Of Car I can see through the windshield, *meaningfully better* than the car can.
on one hand, its distracting as hell (the 'mind' display).

otoh, we are now in the 'evaluate closely what its doing and what we think it should do' period. that will last a few years (lets be honest). and we do need to be 'servos' in this feedback loop. we have to. we are the final voters of whether its good enough or not.

so the tax is on us, the drivers, to ensure that the mind is working as it should. no other way to do that but to show how the mind is working, via a debug display, which is DISTRACTING AS HELL, but its the job of beta testers (ie, ALL tesla owners who want to play Elons FSD Games(tm)) to be in that feedback loop and notice if a bad thing is about to happen and abort it.

this is why you have to be 'more than a regular driver' to be part of this test. its how I would do it (for once, I agree with tesla and elon, lol).

if you dont want to be in the middle of a 'debug display' then you have no business being part of a complex beta like this. I fully agree with them on this. this is not 'fun time with bumper cars'. this is real stuff in real life.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The rationale here (I think) is that (at least in beta) its more important to understand what the car is intending to do, since it may be intending to do something stupid. Sure, the map tells you where you might need to go, but not driving into a concrete wall is probably a bit more important.

and 'fsd beta' is probably anyone who gets this software for the next few years.

during the proving period, its important that before the car does dumb things, the human notices its ABOUT to do a dumb thing and he abandons the assist and takes over. if you dont get really detailed and useful 'mind' info about the car, you cant really be part of the fine tuning that's needed to get this truly into the hands of regular non-skilled non-programmer types.

if this is a short eval period, I'm going to be very worried. it needs a LONG soak time. again, in more than a year. likely 2 years or more. if its really short, I fear it would be cut short for all the wrong reasons.

and if tesla acts irresponsibly and brings it to the masses too soon, I hope the hammer comes down hard on them.

again, this aint bumper cars. its a beta in a real world with real human beings. if tesla takes it seriously, it could be good for the whole level-5 movement for all vendors. if they fark it up and it needs legislation to pull them back in line with reason, then this will delay the global effort.

a lot is 'riding' on this. and I'm sure tesla knows this.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The rationale here (I think) is that (at least in beta) its more important to understand what the car is intending to do, since it may be intending to do something stupid. Sure, the map tells you where you might need to go, but not driving into a concrete wall is probably a bit more important.
I haven't seen any beta testers make a decision to disengage based on the "mind of the car" though...

Some AV companies have two safety drivers in their test vehicles. Perhaps a second person in the car could monitor the "mind of the car" and tell the primary driver when to disengage. It seems like it might actually be more dangerous for the primary driver to both be ready to take over and look at the screen.

Last edited:
I think the point of "mind of car" is to serve as a reality check, so the driver-- at least in the early stages-- can determine if the car's idea of the world is in fact correct. It serves as feedback to what the cars sees and how it will react. For example, in some of the videos I've seen from the few who have it, the "snake"-- the line in front of the car that shows where it plans to go-- has led them to disable the current FSD session since they could see the car was planning to do the wrong thing (make a left turn from the wrong lane in one case).

I haven't seen any beta testers make a decision to disengage based on the "mind of the car" though...

Some AV companies have two safety drivers in their test vehicles. Perhaps a second person in the car could monitor the "mind of the car" and tell the primary driver when to disengage. It seems like it might actually be more dangerous for the primary driver to both be ready to take over and look at the screen.
How would you even know? Do you know where they are looking? Do they even know moment by moment? I’ve seen lots of videos where the predicted path shown does indeed factor in, if only to focus the driver on an area of concern.

How would you even know? Do you know where they are looking? Do they even know moment by moment? I’ve seen lots of videos where the predicted path shown does indeed factor in, if only to focus the driver on an area of concern.
It always seems they're reacting to events they see outside the car. I guess I'm just assuming because I think I would have trouble focusing on both the real world and "the mind of the car" at the same time. I suppose the beta testers may have the innate ability to do that.
I have seen them comment on the path displayed on the screen while stopped but it's not clear how helpful it is to them.

That's fair, for me, part of the reason I went with Tesla was for the tech/software and improvement of viz/AP over time is a large part of that. Let's all hope they bring some sort of configurability to the table so everyone can have exactly what they want!

Please, please, please, make it an option. This effing visualization is now burning a full 1/3 of my sole Model 3 screen to show me stuff that I don't have time to monitor, and also tells me nothing useful. My maps are shrunk, my web browser is shrunk... even while parked. Even with no FSD or AP.

Can I PLEASE have an option to turn this off?

Reactions: Needsdecaf