Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've enagaged lawyers in an attempt to recover FSD cost (Australian owner)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But if they refuse to honour the ruling and repay the money you can’t do much sadly
If they refuse to pay, you take them to court, but that process is pretty easy (albeit more costly) given you have a Tribunal ruling. I would expect that even the dodgiest builder who might be calling your bluff would pay up before it got to court if they were convinced you were sticking to your guns. The repurcussions if it goes that far are much higher than the tribunal.

Reactions: fobo and Vostok
If they refuse to pay, you take them to court, but that process is pretty easy (albeit more costly) given you have a Tribunal ruling. I would expect that even the dodgiest builder who might be calling your bluff would pay up before it got to court if they were convinced you were sticking to your guns. The repurcussions if it goes that far are much higher than the tribunal.
Not least would be paying your legal expenses. I think a judge would take a dim view of someone with enough money to pay their lawyer rather than comply with a tribunal ruling.

Reactions: Jules22
But if they refuse to honour the ruling and repay the money you can’t do much sadly.
I had a favourable NCAT ruling but the other party never showed or responded. Went to local court and paid for enforcement and the sheriff went around and collected the debt + enforcement fee. I believe if you know bank account details the sheriff may be able to go directly to their bank and garnish it directly.

A company that flagrantly disregards an NCAT ruling is just asking for a Court enforceable order to be issued and them paying your costs.

II would expect that even the dodgiest builder who might be calling your bluff would pay up before it got to court if they were convinced you were sticking to your guns. The repurcussions if it goes that far are much higher than the tribunal.

Yep, a Court finding against them would appear on their Builders Licence and be a permanent stain on their operations (for people who bother to check builder/trades licence details before hiring them). To prevent that happening, most builders would cough up at the 11th hour.

There’s also laws now to make it much harder for builders to Phoenix.

Reactions: Quickst and Jules22
UPDATE:
  • Despite multiple discussions with Tesla, no settlement.
  • Through conversations with others who have faced similar situations, it’s clear that Tesla often tries to wear down claimants through attrition and financial pressure until the court date. Then, on the 11th hour, they typically offer a last-minute settlement with a gag order.
  • In my case, Tesla discovered my forum post, likely forcing their hand and leading to a decision not to settle before the tribunal.
  • The NCAT hearing is scheduled for tomorrow. I will be attending in person, along with a representative from Tesla.
  • I've put together my case which I will share once all is over.
Thank you all for your support and stay tuned.

To the Tesla employees reading this: As I was preparing my case, I received an email from you to schedule the delivery of my new M3P! The irony isn’t lost on me; while I'm battling over the undelivered promises of FSD, I'm also about to receive another Tesla vehicle. It’s a shame that the company is fighting its loyal fans who believe in the brand and the vision.

UPDATE:
  • Despite multiple discussions with Tesla, no settlement.
  • Through conversations with others who have faced similar situations, it’s clear that Tesla often tries to wear down claimants through attrition and financial pressure until the court date. Then, on the 11th hour, they typically offer a last-minute settlement with a gag order.
  • In my case, Tesla discovered my forum post, likely forcing their hand and leading to a decision not to settle before the tribunal.
  • The NCAT hearing is scheduled for tomorrow. I will be attending in person, along with a representative from Tesla.
  • I've put together my case which I will share once all is over.
Thank you all for your support and stay tuned.

To the Tesla employees reading this: As I was preparing my case, I received an email from you to schedule the delivery of my new M3P! The irony isn’t lost on me; while I'm battling over the undelivered promises of FSD, I'm also about to receive another Tesla vehicle. It’s a shame that the company is fighting its loyal fans who believe in the brand and the vision.
All the very best...

One game they might be playing, could be FSD recent update 12.4.1, if rolled out at AU/NZ... comes with strict condition that eyes are never off the road, even to look at screen and choose playlist or similar - when car is navigating on autopilot... but allows to avoid touching the steering wheel and making it almost autonomous. This could help their case.

However, considering recent updated broke FSD further and now car randomly breaks heavy, drives hesitantly or trying to jump signal, or losing network for no reasons... all supports your claim on faulty and undelivered FSD.

Amazingly Tesla has two cases to respond to all in one day. Best of luck OP. Shame I'm busy all day with work otherwise would love to be there for moral support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240620-082530.png
    Screenshot_20240620-082530.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 11
That was always likely given you posted redacted copies of the correspondence. I hope it doesn’t negatively affect the case.

It will be very interesting to hear what happens next.
True. Although the thought of agreeing to a gag order never sat right with me. Tesla should focus on being open and accountable, which would ultimately lead to better products and happier customers.

What was happening in 2022 that inspired the recruitment of said Rottweilers?

And is that before or after the "we don't fight losing cases" pronouncement?
That was around the time ELon was dealing with Twitter fiasco.... backing out of deal...

there is dedicated wikipadia page for Tesla lawsuits - lol

View attachment 1058014

OK, I might have taken a bit of licence with the Rottweilers and Pitbull Terriers, but that’s what “hard core” means to me. Lawyers who take no prisoners and push the legal envelope to the limit to get the result desired by the client.

also there were flurry of Tesla settlement in May 2022 when this post was made:

1. https://www.reuters.com/legal/tesla...lleged-75-billion-insider-trading-2024-06-01/
  2. https://www.reuters.com/legal/tesla-settles-factory-workers-sexual-harassment-lawsuit-2024-05-13/
  3. Tesla, after two jury-trial losses, settles former employee’s racial discrimination suit

I love the fact you've walked the walk here. If you win and set a precedent, everyone after you will owe you a great deal.

I'd like to think most of us agree in Tesla's vision as owners / soon to be owners / prospective owners, you further so as an early buyer of FSD. The fact it still isn't fit for purpose is one thing, but to not even transfer it to new vehicles is woefully bad. It's a poor lack of decency towards genuine supporters.

I hope you wipe the floor with them here.