Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter Storage?

Where do you store your J1772 adapter?

• In Trunk?

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • In Cabin?

Votes: 80 67.2%
  • In Frunk?

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Shemp

Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2019
Detroit
Where do you all store your J1772 adapter? I use mine frequently as I charge at work (free).... I've been storing it in the little well on the left side of the trunk area, but I find it clumsy to open the trunk and charger port, each time, not to mention when it's raining or snowing all the stuff getting into the trunk...

What I would really like is some kind of holder for it, so wherever it goes it is out of the way and not rolling and clunking around. I saw some guy made a 3D printed holder that you mount inside the trunk, but I haven't seen any that go in the cabin. I'm thinking one that goes in the forward area of the drivers door pocket might be a perfect place for a little holder.

Thoughts?

I kept mine in the glove compartment but you could buy (or 3D print yourself) something like this for your center mid console:

I used to put the adapter in the glovebox, but once the TapTess Orginazer became available I bought it and it is much better solution. The adapter doesn't roll like it does in the glovebox and it is much easier to reach.

I bought an extra one. the original I keep it in the bag with the cable in the trunk. the second one I bought I keep it in the center console for when I need to charge. I trend to lose things, in case I leave one behind at a charging station, I have a reserve.
I do like that one from the post from @Need I wish it didn't have that coin section, I never have coins, I hate coins, I despise coins, coins blow, can't wait till cash is obsolete.

I do like that one from the post from @Need I wish it didn't have that coin section, I never have coins, I hate coins, I despise coins, coins blow, can't wait till cash is obsolete.

LOL I hate coins too, but I kept quarters in the car just in case I encounter an ancient parking meter that does not take credit card. There are probably other designs that does not have coin holder. I kept mine in the glove box on the 3 because that's where I kept it in our X. In the X glove box there is a cubby area where the adapter would stay and not move around. For 2 years with the X and 1 year with the 3, we have not used the adapters even once LOL. Someday I will try it...

I use this:

Tesla Model 3 Center Console Tray w/ J1772 Adapter Slot + card slot (no coin slot) by jbyeung

I wrapped mine (or parts of it, anyhow) in felt to protect my glasses, but I'm not happy with my wrapping job, and I'm thinking of changing to this, which looks a little bit cleaner:

Tesla Model 3 Tray w/J1772 storage slot by mkoistinen

There are lots of other designs on Thingiverse for storing the J1772 adapter, so you can browse for others if neither of those looks good to you. If you're interested in one of these but don't have a 3D printer, you can ask around to see if a friend owns one, check your local library, or click the "order this printed" link to find a 3D printing service that'll print one for a fee.

I bought an extra one. the original I keep it in the bag with the cable in the trunk. the second one I bought I keep it in the center console for when I need to charge. I trend to lose things, in case I leave one behind at a charging station, I have a reserve.
Wanted to add that the coin holder is removeable on this one. It slides out. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZZTGYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CK0YDb44H49N6

Our J-1772 adapter lives in the tote bag that all the charging toys came in. And that bag lives in the frunk along with other car stuff: snow chains, lift pads, emergency air pump. None of them are things we use frequently, so the frunk keeps them out of the more commonly used spaces, like the interior compartments or the trunk.

If I used it all the time, I'd have a different answer.

Reactions: Shemp
I keep two of them in under the armrest. A third one is in my garage as a backup (!). I used to use them as I had free charging at work; now, not so much. I still don't have my HPWC connected at home so I'm relying on local Superchargers or the some free ChargePoint DC Fast stations. Extra adapters were sourced off of eBay for $50 apiece.

Mine stays in the driver side door pocket tugged all the way up towards the back, plus i have a small mico-fiber cloth next to it. Just to clean my dash, center console etc when required. The cloth keeps it from moving and stays quiet no rattles or noise. Also at work i have it handy right as open the door. Works for me.

I leave mine in drivers door pocket as well except tucked towards the front. It doesn’t move around because it’s a low point.
Also keep charge network card there as well. I use it 3x per week and is such a handy location for frequent usage. I would not consider using the glove box! Pita to open..