Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how does the iPace compare to AWD Model 3? (Road trip driving aside)

Two different kinds of cars. The loaded Jag has some Off-Road features, more room, more amenities than the Model 3. And more money. It will be in Australia before the Model 3.
It would be more fair to compare it to the Model X 75D. When equipped the same, the iPace is $10,000 less, but both are pricey. That means adding paint, deluxe interior, PUP, AP2 to the Model X 75D, but the i-Pace would still have more features, and the X would have more room.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
Two different kinds of cars. The loaded Jag has some Off-Road features, more room, more amenities than the Model 3. And more money. It will be in Australia before the Model 3.
It would be more fair to compare it to the Model X 75D. When equipped the same, the iPace is $10,000 less, but both are pricey. That means adding paint, deluxe interior, PUP, AP2 to the Model X 75D, but the i-Pace would still have more features, and the X would have more room.

That's what Jaguar would like you to think.

The fact is, the iPace is the same size as the 3, except four inches taller - still five inches shorter than the X, along with being several inches narrower and more than a foot less in length. There's no way the iPace is closer in size to an X than a 3.

It's true that we haven't seen a 3 with air suspension to raise and lower yet and the AWD version only just became orderable, kinda like the iPace.

The fact is, the iPace is the same size as the 3, except four inches taller - still five inches shorter than the X, along with being several inches narrower and more than a foot less in length. There's no way the iPace is closer in size to an X than a 3.

It's true that we haven't seen a 3 with air suspension to raise and lower yet and the AWD version only just became orderable, kinda like the iPace.[/QUOTE]

+1...I-Pace is not a large vehicle....it's actually smaller/not as tall as the Macan (which my wife drives and I find small). In fact, the Model 3 has similar dimensions.

comparison.png

Last edited:
Reactions: techmaven

It's true that we haven't seen a 3 with air suspension to raise and lower yet and the AWD version only just became orderable, kinda like the iPace.

It's not as big as a Model X, not as small as a Model 3. While it uses some of the Land Rover off-road tech, they seem to focus more on the sport aspect of the car. They let the press run laps around a road course, as well as an autocross style track, but I have not seen any footage of it actually in the dirt, only an approach/departure ramp test, it appears to climb like a goat. It has good approach and departure angles, 'creep mode', can ford nearly 20" of water, but also hustles through mountain roads like a sport sedan. It's about the same weight as the Model S 75D, but more powerful and cheaper when equipped the same.

I guess we will see. Hype dominates the EV market.

Code:
 inch       MX     M3    i-Pace
Wheelbase  116.7  113.2  117.7
Length     198.3  184.8  184.3
Width      78.7   76.1   79.2
Height     66.3   56.8   61.6

Between the 2, I think the iPace is closer to AWD M3 than MX.
When SAS is available for M3, will be interesting to compare ground clearance & ride quality.

Between the 2, I think the iPace is closer to AWD M3 than MX.
When SAS is available for M3, will be interesting to compare ground clearance & ride quality.

The ground clearance on the Jaguar is up to 9.5" for low speeds, the Model X is up to 9" or 8.5" depending on who you ask. With the cab forward layout, the Jaguar should go up and down a steeper trail.

It probably won't be possible to achieve a smoother ride in the Model 3 than the Jaguar. It could happen, but the numbers and tech are against it. The Jaguar has the longer wheelbase, wider track, more weight, and variable dampening. All of these factors tend to reduce the harshness of the ride.

Last edited:
+1...I-Pace is not a large vehicle....it's actually smaller/not as tall as the Macan (which my wife drives and I find small). In fact, the Model 3 has similar dimensions.

DOH!!! Forgot the Macan was in the running:

Wheelbase 110.5 in
Length 184.3 in
Width 75.7 in
Height 63.9 in

The Macan is a little smaller than the i-Pace except in height when the i-Pace is in standard height mode. But the long hood on the Macan subtracts from interior room and trunk space, and it lacks a frunk or the off-road package. To get similar performance and options, you must spend $14,000 more on the Turbo Macan than the i-Pace FE, $24,450 more in California after rebates.

This is what Jaguar is probably aiming at. Quicker than a $100,000 Macan (4.6s 0-60mph so barely), with lots of bells, whistles, gizmos, and autosteering.

Haven't sat in an S or a 3 so can't compare, but the driver and front passenger seats were very spacious. Back wasn't as spacious as I anticipated, anyone over 6ft may struggle to sit in the back for a long drive (not that any drives are that long without stopping in an EV).

I am surprised the frunk is that small though.

It's not as big as a Model X, not as small as a Model 3. While it uses some of the Land Rover off-road tech, they seem to focus more on the sport aspect of the car. They let the press run laps around a road course, as well as an autocross style track, but I have not seen any footage of it actually in the dirt, only an approach/departure ramp test, it appears to climb like a goat. It has good approach and departure angles, 'creep mode', can ford nearly 20" of water, but also hustles through mountain roads like a sport sedan. It's about the same weight as the Model S 75D, but more powerful and cheaper when equipped the same.

I guess we will see. Hype dominates the EV market.

Code:
 inch       MX     M3    i-Pace
Wheelbase  116.7  113.2  117.7
Length     198.3  184.8  184.3
Width      78.7   76.1   79.2
Height     66.3   56.8   61.6
Your dimensions are wrong. I pace width without mirrors is 74.6, with mirrors 84.2

Your dimensions are wrong. I pace width without mirrors is 74.6, with mirrors 84.2
Wiki has the same numbers I do. I used the same source for all info. Remember things change. The i-Pace Concept was shown in 2016. Production starts in July (claimed), customer deliveries to the US in October. As of February, the i-Pace has run 1,500,000 test miles so far. These often evoke changes.

Keep in mind the i-Pace was said to have 220miles, 240miles, and 480km ranges. No EPA numbers submitted yet. No instrumented test reviews.

But the width of a car can be misleading since it goes to bodywork or mirrors. The ZR1 was 76" wide at the body (no mirrors) and sort of cramped. Loved my 'fat bottom girl'. But on normal cars, the tires are sort of planted, and rear wheel wells define interior minimum width:

Track width, average of 65.0" for i-Pace.
66.0" average for the Model S/X.
62.2" for Model 3.

Guess we will see how they measure width when the cars are available. The best reading is from outside seat centerlines combined with shoulder room (there is a lot fudge built into that, since seat position changes it)
We know tires are further apart, and the nose will be shorter than the F-Pace because supposedly they moved the cab forward.

Last edited: