Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! Thanks for putting together that comparison chart. That was a lot of work.

It doesn't take too much just to see what the equipment is in the US:

$86,895.00 - GRAND TOTAL, First Edition, Loaded:
(afaik, this includes self-steering, hands-on like AutoPilot)

Photon Red $0.00
20" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5070' in Technical Grey with Polished finish $0.00
Fixed panoramic roof $ 0.00
Privacy glass $ 0.00
Gloss Black side window surround $0.00
Premium LED headlights with signature DRL $0.00
INTERIOR $0.00
Light Oyster Windsor leather sport seats with Ebony/Light Oyster interior $0.00
18-way heated and cooled electric memory front seats with heated rear seats $0.00
Ebony Suedecloth headlining $0.00
Gloss Charcoal Ash First Edition veneer $ 0.00
Soft grain leather sport steering wheel $ 0.00
Heated steering wheel $0.00
Meridian™ Surround Sound System $0.00

STANDARD FEATURES

• EXTERIOR FEATURES
    • Auto-dimming, power fold, heated door mirrors with memory and approach lights
    • Front fog lights
    • Heated Windshield with Heated Washer Jets
    • 3-flash lane change indicators
    • LED tail lights
    • Rear fog lights
    • Automatic Headlight Levelling System
    • Follow me home lighting
    • Gloss Black door claddings
    • Gloss Black grille with Satin Chrome surround
    • Gloss Black valance
    • Tailgate spoiler
    • Flush exterior door handles
    • Acoustic laminated windshield
    • Infrared reflective windshield
    • Rain sensing windshield wipers
    • Heated rear window with timer
    • Variable intermittent wipers
    • HSE badge
    • EV400 badge
    • JAGUAR Script and Leaper
    • Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier - Preparation Kit
    • Headlight power wash
  • WHEELS AND OPTIONS
    • Tire Repair System
    • Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
  • INTERIOR FEATURES
    • Four-zone Climate Control
    • Configurable Ambient Interior Lighting
    • Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror
    • Sunvisors with illuminated vanity mirrors
    • Overhead lighting console
    • LED rear reading lights
    • Overhead storage for sunglasses
    • Fixed Front Armrest with Storage
    • Front and rear cupholders
    • Storage under rear seats
    • Rear center armrest
    • Air Quality Sensor
    • Heated steering wheel
  • SEATING AND INTERIOR TRIM
    • Ebony carpet
    • Carpet mats
    • Metal treadplates with First Edition branding
    • 60:40 rear seat fold
    • Full extended leather upgrade
  • DYNAMICS
    • Adaptive Dynamics with Configurable Dynamics
    • Adaptive Surface Response (AdSR)†
    • Active Air Suspension
    • All Wheel Drive (AWD)
    • Hill Launch Assist
    • JaguarDrive Control
    • Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS)
    • Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
    • Electric Parking Brake (EPB)
    • Low Traction Launch
    • Enhanced Brake Regeneration
    • Active Vanes
    • Brake pad wear indicator
  • INFOTAINMENT
    • Head-up Display
    • Touch Pro Duo
    • Interactive Driver Display
    • Navigation Pro
    • Connect Pro
    • Smartphone Pack
    • Remote
    • AM/FM Radio
    • Dynamic Volume Control
    • Bluetooth® connectivity
    • Voice control
    • USB power sockets (6)
    • 12V power sockets (2)
    • Sirius XM™ satellite radio and HD radio
  • DRIVER ASSISTANCE
    • Emergency Braking
    • Driver Condition Monitor
    • Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Speed Limiter
    • Lane Keep Assist
    • Driver Assist Pack
    • Park Pack
  • CHARGING AND SAFETY
    • Multi-function charging cable
    • Timed Charging
    • Emergency Brake Assist
    • 6 airbags
    • Perimetric alarm
    • Power operated child locks
    • Seat belt reminder
    • Electric windows with one-touch open/close and anti-trap
  • CONVENIENCE
    • Front Storage Compartment
    • Keyless Entry
    • Electric cabin pre-conditioning
    • Lockable glovebox
    • Luggage tie-downs in loadspace
    • Luggage Hooks in loadspace
    • Powered gesture tailgate
    • Activity Key
    • Garage Door Opener (HomeLink®)

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

specs-length_i-pace_k19_a-swb_us.jpg
specs-width_i-pace_k19_a-swb_us.jpg

VEHICLE LENGTHS
Overall Length (in) 184.3
Wheelbase (in) 117.7
VEHICLE HEIGHTS & WIDTHS
Front track (in) 64.1
Rear track (in) 64.9
Overall height (in) 61.3
Overall width inc. mirrors (in) 84.2
Overall width with mirrors folded in (in) 79.2
Ground clearance fully laden (in) 5.6
HEADROOM
Maximum front headroom (in) 39.9
Maximum rear headroom (in) 38.1
LEGROOM
Maximum front legroom (in) 40.9
Maximum rear legroom (in) 35
LOADSPACE CAPACITY - REAR SEATS UPRIGHT
Height (in) 28.8
Width (in) 49
Cargo space volume (cu.ft.) 22.53
Cargo space width between arches (in) 41.7
Length at floor (in) 38.1
LOADSPACE CAPACITY - REAR SEATS FORWARD
Height (in) 28.8
Width (in) 49
Cargo space volume (cu.ft.) 51.03
Cargo space width between arches (in) 41.7
Length at floor (in) 70.7
TURNING CIRCLE
Curb-to-curb (ft) 39.3
Wall-to-wall (ft) 40.7
Turns lock-to-lock 2.52
POWERTRAIN
Power (HP) 394
Battery (kWh) 90
Torque (lb-ft) 512
Drive AWD
BRAKES
Front type Single piston 2.4" sliding/ ventilated discs
Front diameter (in) 13.78
Rear type Single piston 1.6" sliding/ ventilated discs
Rear diameter (in) 12.8
Park Brake Motor on caliper iEPB
WEIGHT
Curb weight (lbs) 4,784
Gross vehicle weight (lbs) 5,886
Maximum mass on each axle (front) 2,910
Maximum mass on each axle (rear) 3,197
ROOF CARRYING
Maximum roof load (lbs) - including roof rails 165.3
PERFORMANCE
Acceleration 0-60mph (seconds) 4.5
Top speed (mph) 124
Manufacturer Estimated Range¹⁰ 240

Yup. One extra headache non-Tesla EV drivers have to put up with. :-/

Now clearly the plug / cap thingie can't be for electrical insulation, so my hunch is it's secondary water sealing.

So on the BMW's (and I think this applies to the i3 and i8, though I have only third hand experience of the i3) not only does the DC side have a cover the AC side does too. So you are supposed to open the charge flap then remove a rubber cover. The fix for me was to permanently remove this secondary cap.

How wise this decision was... time will tell.

I didn't do this without some thought however. The rubber seal on the inside of the i8's charge inlet , at least visually, seems better than the seal on my old Model S. (The former being a door trim style compressible tube mounted on the jamb of the flap aperture, the latter a flat overmold on the inside face of the charge flap itself which is supposed to seal against the flat plastic face of the charge inlet.)

My biggest worry, by removing the plug however is really debris blockage. I have heard rumours (and it is just that) that the little water that does get into the socket can build up if particles block up the drain passage in the EV inlet.

I figure if I keep an eye on it, everything will be OK. However I doubt BMW / Jag put enough faith in end users to be so diligent and it's a belt and suspenders approach.

No problem with DCFC for years on my 2016 Chevy. It's really no big deal, just have to lift the second cover.

If Jag has good lease deals then it will be a winner.

I personally don't care much for the Supercharger network. With a range like the i-pace, I could always find a DCFC charger somewhere if I really need it.

I wonder if the i-Pace will come with free charging for 3 years like the Leaf and i3, that would be nice as well!

Reactions: smac
I imagine I'm one of relatively few people on this forum actually to have sat in an i-Pace (at the Geneva Motor Show yesterday). I've also test driven an MX (one of the first in the UK to do so, so some time ago) and an MS (3 times). So, I think I have some valid opinions. (The M3 hasn't reached Europe yet, so I can't compare.)
The two main reasons I've never bitten the bullet and bought a Tesla is (a) the cost - thanks to Brexit and the plummeting £, it's now a really expensive car in the UK (£108K for a reasonably specced 7-seat X100D with premium, AP & FSD) and (b) the minimalistic, austere interior. This latter particularly influences my wife, who hates it, and also finds the S claustrophobic.
I was really wanting to like the iPace. I expected it to tick all the boxes re a relatively sumptuous interior compared with a Tesla, and to be comfortable and roomy without being quite so enormous on the outside (MS and MX are both very large cars in the European context).
However, I was very disappointed.
It does not feel roomy inside - I don't care what the measurements say, it just isn't a full 5-seater, at least not comfortably so for 5 adults. The middle 2nd row seat is very uncomfortable, has a bit of a floor hump (for cables, apparently!) and less headroom. There is not enough hip room on the seat for 3 sets of adult hips. The outer two get pushed out into the cubby space in the doors, which means you aren't sitting in the well of the seat, but on the edge. Worse, the tops of the door windows are low, below eye height for a long-bodied person (I am about 5ft11" or 1m81 but long body, short legs). It's better in the back than a MS, which is very claustrophobic with the low roofline, but not by much.
It's not much better in the front - again, a very low side roofline. If you adjust the seat high enough to (almost) see the front of the bonnet (sorry, hood), you have to bend down to look sideways.
The iPace is promoted as having a lot of cabin room because of the long wheelbase (overall length comparable with Macan but rear legroom more than Cayenne, I think they claim). The numbers mislead. The fundamental design compromise in an EV with an underfloor battery but needing a good CdA and hence low roof is that the height from floor to roof in the cabin is much less than you'd think. Sure, there is lots of knee room in the back, but only because your knees are way up high. You are sitting on the back of your bum (should that be ass to most of you?), not on the backs of your thighs. Recipe for sore bum on long journey.
The iPace also copies the Tesla's (IMHO) bad front seat design with integrated headrests. The forward view from either of the outer back seats is therefore horribly claustrophobic - no forward view at all, just a bit half-forward through the gap in the front seats, and duck your head to look out of the window.
There is no doubting that the general perceived quality of the interior is much better than Tesla (or at least than Tesla used to be - I haven't seen a recent one, and I understand they've got a little better). In an old-fashioned, stitched leather, lots of knobs and switches sort of way as well as the general "quality" of materials. You either prefer this or you don't. Personally, I think physical knobs for frequently required functions have to be better than trying to find a soft button on a touchscreen, but perhaps you get so used to the Tesla interface that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to open the window or whatever.
Other pros and cons have been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere. Tesla's supercharger network is an enormous plus. The AP tech is either a major USP or not something you'd trust. The dealer network is probably the opposite in UK and US - I have 3 Jag dealers within 35 miles, while my nearest Tesla Service Centre is 80 miles away.
It's difficult to compare prices properly, as the only iPace you can get for at least a year is the fully loaded "First Edition" which is, I think, around £82K in the UK (not sure if this is before or after the £4.5K PEV grant), which compares with £65.5K (after grant) for an absolutely base model S75D. But a bit of a meaningless comparison. The only thing these three cars have in common is that they are long-range BEVs; but would you choose between a rather peculiar (FWDs!) big 7-seater, a stylish performance 5-d coupé and a medium-sized crossover on the basis of price?
So, I'll go for a test drive in an iPace when I can (not until September, I'm told), but I don't see me buying one. Maybe an M3 when they get here next year - I've got 2 reservations! Or I can work on the boss to convince her that an MX is lovely inside...

I imagine I'm one of relatively few people on this forum actually to have sat in an i-Pace (at the Geneva Motor Show yesterday). I've also test driven an MX (one of the first in the UK to do so, so some time ago) and an MS (3 times). So, I think I have some valid opinions. (The M3 hasn't reached Europe yet, so I can't compare.)
The two main reasons I've never bitten the bullet and bought a Tesla is (a) the cost - thanks to Brexit and the plummeting £, it's now a really expensive car in the UK (£108K for a reasonably specced 7-seat X100D with premium, AP & FSD) and (b) the minimalistic, austere interior. This latter particularly influences my wife, who hates it, and also finds the S claustrophobic.
I was really wanting to like the iPace. I expected it to tick all the boxes re a relatively sumptuous interior compared with a Tesla, and to be comfortable and roomy without being quite so enormous on the outside (MS and MX are both very large cars in the European context).
However, I was very disappointed.
It does not feel roomy inside - I don't care what the measurements say, it just isn't a full 5-seater, at least not comfortably so for 5 adults. The middle 2nd row seat is very uncomfortable, has a bit of a floor hump (for cables, apparently!) and less headroom. There is not enough hip room on the seat for 3 sets of adult hips. The outer two get pushed out into the cubby space in the doors, which means you aren't sitting in the well of the seat, but on the edge. Worse, the tops of the door windows are low, below eye height for a long-bodied person (I am about 5ft11" or 1m81 but long body, short legs). It's better in the back than a MS, which is very claustrophobic with the low roofline, but not by much.
It's not much better in the front - again, a very low side roofline. If you adjust the seat high enough to (almost) see the front of the bonnet (sorry, hood), you have to bend down to look sideways.
The iPace is promoted as having a lot of cabin room because of the long wheelbase (overall length comparable with Macan but rear legroom more than Cayenne, I think they claim). The numbers mislead. The fundamental design compromise in an EV with an underfloor battery but needing a good CdA and hence low roof is that the height from floor to roof in the cabin is much less than you'd think. Sure, there is lots of knee room in the back, but only because your knees are way up high. You are sitting on the back of your bum (should that be ass to most of you?), not on the backs of your thighs. Recipe for sore bum on long journey.
The iPace also copies the Tesla's (IMHO) bad front seat design with integrated headrests. The forward view from either of the outer back seats is therefore horribly claustrophobic - no forward view at all, just a bit half-forward through the gap in the front seats, and duck your head to look out of the window.
There is no doubting that the general perceived quality of the interior is much better than Tesla (or at least than Tesla used to be - I haven't seen a recent one, and I understand they've got a little better). In an old-fashioned, stitched leather, lots of knobs and switches sort of way as well as the general "quality" of materials. You either prefer this or you don't. Personally, I think physical knobs for frequently required functions have to be better than trying to find a soft button on a touchscreen, but perhaps you get so used to the Tesla interface that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to open the window or whatever.
Other pros and cons have been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere. Tesla's supercharger network is an enormous plus. The AP tech is either a major USP or not something you'd trust. The dealer network is probably the opposite in UK and US - I have 3 Jag dealers within 35 miles, while my nearest Tesla Service Centre is 80 miles away.
It's difficult to compare prices properly, as the only iPace you can get for at least a year is the fully loaded "First Edition" which is, I think, around £82K in the UK (not sure if this is before or after the £4.5K PEV grant), which compares with £65.5K (after grant) for an absolutely base model S75D. But a bit of a meaningless comparison. The only thing these three cars have in common is that they are long-range BEVs; but would you choose between a rather peculiar (FWDs!) big 7-seater, a stylish performance 5-d coupé and a medium-sized crossover on the basis of price?
So, I'll go for a test drive in an iPace when I can (not until September, I'm told), but I don't see me buying one. Maybe an M3 when they get here next year - I've got 2 reservations! Or I can work on the boss to convince her that an MX is lovely inside...
Jaguar doesn't include the £4,500 grant so it is £77,000 for first production vs £64,700 for base Model S

Reactions: R.S
... the only iPace you can get for at least a year is the fully loaded "First Edition" ...

This might be a 'wait and see' thing. The information I have for US sales is that the FE will only be available Year One then stopped. US dealers will probably get 1 unit if they so desire. The rest of their inventory will be selected by the dealer, and you will be able to special order any of the variants if you want to wait another 1-3 months. FE will not be limited, but they will be cut off after the ordering period.

We will see how it goes. How knowledgeable was my dealer? He seemed to know quite a bit about the car and the delivery schedules. But you know how it goes with dealers. His info is only as good as what Jaguar has told them at this point.

Hi smac: where was the M3 at Geneva? I'm a bit gutted I missed it. I didn't think Tesla had a stand. Did you mean you saw one at Meyrin?

And apologies to those of you who have been to GIMS for my post just written implying that few of you had...
It was over near the Hyundai stand at Caresoft's stand ( Automotive Benchmarking, Product Development, Cost Optimization, Manufacturing and Aftermarket )

AFAIK it's the first one in Europe on public display.

upload_2018-3-14_8-49-27.png

They were good enough to let anyone get in and poke and prod at the car. It was obviously US spec (including licence plates), the VIN was covered.

My understanding is it's due for strip down / rebuild for competitive analysis purposes.

I had read that IHT Markit had estimated Jaguar I-Pace production at 13,000 units:
Jaguar I-Pace likely to beat Audi, Porsche rivals to showrooms

But since that was an estimate by a 3rd party, I always took it with some hesitation. This post is interesting coming from someone that says they spoke to a Jaguar rep in Frankfurt:

Some info from a JLR rep at Frankfurt
• Production car will be unveiled in Q1,2018
• Prices will start from GBP 60K
• Magna Steyr's contract with JLR is for annual production of 12,500 units
• Jaguar has 25,000 confirmed orders with deposits

So that's a confirmation of sorts of ~13k units to be made in the first model year. The regional split is yet unknown. Given that the Hyundai Ioniq Electric was initially made at an even higher volume than that (14,400/year), the I-Pace will not really have significant numbers in any one market.

It was over near the Hyundai stand at Caresoft's stand ( Automotive Benchmarking, Product Development, Cost Optimization, Manufacturing and Aftermarket )

AFAIK it's the first one in Europe on public display.

They were good enough to let anyone get in and poke and prod at the car. It was obviously US spec (including licence plates), the VIN was covered.

My understanding is it's due for strip down / rebuild for competitive analysis purposes.

It was there to show their new CT scan for vehicle analysis.

Its VIN is 5YJ3E1EA2HF000844.

Reactions: smac