Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to sit in I-Pace a couple of weeks ago.

Materials feel nice, better than my 2017 Model S. For example the leather is very soft and probably slightly cushioned even on doors. Light leather interior was cool. It is a small car, felt smaller or equal to a Golf mk.6.

Design is subjective. I'm not a big fan of the I-pace design, internal or external. It's ok.

I don't need space but don't value the interior materials above my Model S tech.

Price was very comparable to my car. It had 25k€ worth of extras.

I will likely get a test drive in a prototype in June.
View attachment 295606

What do the M,1,2,3 buttons on the door activate?

Looking through the interior photos and it has a keyless (pushbutton) ignition but you need to have a key to lock/unlock the glove box. Assume it uses a fob for door/trunk entry with a removable key component then like my 2001 Toyota Avalon?

Last edited:
Got to love the 21,000 mile/2 year service intervals ....

I service the MS once a year, that's around 27,000 miles p.a. ... (no impact on Warranty, although on a leased vehicle that may not be permitted)

... low cost servicing when compared to Tesla.

Yeah, Tesla service is not cheap, particularly given that, as I understand it, it's mostly an inspection.

"The memory function records up to three positions for driver and front passenger seats and exterior mirrors. All easily retrievable with the push of a button."

After having had Tesla's "named positions" I wouldn't want to go back to a 1,2,3 choice. There's only wifee and I, but also Charging (fully back), Guest (for someone else to fiddle with) and a couple more besides.

Would be nice to have passenger seat memory too though ... to reset after being adjusted by a passenger

Entry/exit is keyless you just need the fob within 1m of the door lock. The fob has a removable key blade which can be used to lock/unlock the glovebox.

Sounds like my Avalon with the exception that you have to depress the unlock/lock/trunk buttons on the fob. I do like that you still have a physical key to get in the car when your fob battery may die (granted doesn't happen often but things like this seem to happen at the worse times :)).

Neither of them has a grill.
They both look aerodynamic.
Corvette manages ICE with no grill. Tesla manages cooling with no grill.
Jag engineers need to get a clue.
The Jag looks like its grill is slowing it down. What's its CD?

A few things to mention here:

Both cars you call aerodynamic, Bolt and Corvette, have a worse Cd than the iPace (.29). But what really matters is the CdA, which is the effective frontal area times Cd. And that's where most of the automotive genitalia measuring contests break down. Does any car maker tell you the CdA? Because that's what's important. If you need to make it much taller, because you need the space for the sloping roof, then a low Cd means nothing.

A closed off grill, which the iPace has, has no influence on the Cd. But there is also a usable one (the one at the bottom). Tesla's also have a grill, which is also at the bottom of the fascia. Grills will always be needed, because the motor, inverter, battery, charger need to be kept cool.

It's kind of funny that people expect a thermal management system for a battery, but don't want a grill. And if you look at a simple gaming PC, you will see liquid cooling and a gigantic radiator, but EVs aren't even allowed to have a grill.

Also if the grill is too small, you can't have a big enough radiator and you will run into thermal issues. Those can reduce continuous power, like in racing conditions, or high speed driving, but also lead to reduced charging speed in hot climates, or reduced battery longevity.

Also if the grill is too small, you can't have a big enough radiator and you will run into thermal issues. Those can reduce continuous power, like in racing conditions, or high speed driving, but also lead to reduced charging speed in hot climates, or reduced battery longevity.

You have to admire Jaguar for launching the 'Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY' - With 20 identical specification production based I-PACE eTROPHY race cars going head to head.

Reactions: smac
Not see much detail yet, and of course it is not the first production car racing league as there is the Electric GT using modified Tesla MS that launched last year...

It never truly launched. It is still a proposed series, and has been bubbling round for a couple of years.

Originally they intended to use RWD cars, then it was AWD's then...

While I admire the work the guys behind it put in trying to get it off the ground it really needs Tesla factory support which (unlike the eTrophy series) it never managed to get.

Right now there are some provisional dates, but it's hanging on finance.
Electric GT is "currently in open discussions with several investors to close the first institutional fundraising round and complete the project's financing before its definitive launch this autumn", according to an official statement.
Tesla-based electric GT series reveals eight-round 2018/19 calendar

FWIW I put my name down for the eTrophy as a privateer in one of the arrive and drive slots within a week of hearing about it. Sold out.

(Probably just as well in hindsight, as I'd not want to go down in history as the first person to bin one :) )

Reactions: R.S
It never truly launched. It is still a proposed series, and has been bubbling round for a couple of years.

Originally they intended to use RWD cars, then it was AWD's then...

While I admire the work the guys behind it put in trying to get it off the ground it really needs Tesla factory support which (unlike the eTrophy series) it never managed to get.

Right now there are some provisional dates, but it's hanging on finance.

Tesla-based electric GT series reveals eight-round 2018/19 calendar

FWIW I put my name down for the eTrophy as a privateer in one of the arrive and drive slots within a week of hearing about it. Sold out.

(Probably just as well in hindsight, as I'd not want to go down in history as the first person to bin one :) )

Yeah, funding isn't guaranteed for the November 2018 race yet.

Not so sure if somebody didn't crash a Jag EV yet. They started racing EVs in 2016. Not doing well so far.

It really depends on the race regulations. "Production" has about as much to do with factory stock cars as NASCAR does.
They 'say' the iPace racers will use the 'production EV drivetrain'. If that is in fact true, it will be a big feather in their hat if they have zero mechanical DNF's out of 20 cars. That will push the iPace into the lead for 'affordable' total performance EVs come December at the opener.

Sidebar - That crash Richard Hammond had in the Rimac EV last year, DAMN!!!
He's lucky to be alive.

They 'say' the iPace racers will use the 'production EV drivetrain'. If that is in fact true, it will be a big feather in their hat if they have zero mechanical DNF's out of 20 cars. That will push the iPace into the lead for 'affordable' total performance EVs come December at the opener.

They do say the i-Pace uses the same motors as they have been running in the Formula E cars so that should have given them plenty of date to work with.

Reactions: MileHighMotoring
It really depends on the race regulations. "Production" has about as much to do with factory stock cars as NASCAR does.
I hope the analogy is closer to some of the single make "cup" series. I.e. road car's stripped but with cage and FIA safety stuff added.

One thing I did note on the Geneva eTrophy car was the grille was completely blocked off and the top of the hood covered in a black flush cover to look like stock from a distance. Close inspection meant the "trademark" hole from the grille to the hood was missing.

Might be a down-force thing? :confused:

Sidebar - That crash Richard Hammond had in the Rimac EV last year, DAMN!!!
He's lucky to be alive.

Apparently both hamsters and cats have nine lives :D