Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ultimate in Poser Mods was a true classic.
First the runner up:

Fast n Furious - "The Nitrous is going to blow!!!" bullets fired in to nitrous bottle make massive explosion. Nitrous is non-flammable.

And the WINNER, from the Land Down Under....

The Road Warrior!!! Fake roots blower on engine turns on with the flip of a switch. Uh... No blower spinning, no engine running. Positive displacement.

Last edited:
Oddly enough there is a thread on this site requesting that Tesla put in an optional engine sound.

Luckily you hit on the one acceptable negative stereotyping allowed and endorsed in the US, the concept that Southerners are mostly white trash. While our only legally permitted 'racism' deals with a geocentric racial class, it appears not countries are like that. You'd have been surprised what I heard in France and England from the everyday middle class folk. Or perhaps not?

Ignorance, cruelty, racism and bigotry in Australia
I have nothing against Southern America - it produced Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary...........& Merle Dixon!

Motor Trend reported the regen at 0.4g, the Bolt at .26g, the Leaf at .20g, and the M3 at .16g. Then you do the math. If a Leaf take 12 second at 1/2 the force, the i-Pace takes 6 seconds. But if you use the acceleration formula 0.40 g is actually 5.7. So I guess I should call it 6 with significant digits and all.

So you are assuming that because they said the regen was up to 0.4g, that it stays at 0.4g the whole time? What if it only maintains that level for 1 second? Did they have a graph like you posted for the other vehicles?

I have nothing against Southern America - it produced Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary...........& Merle Dixon!

And helped begin the age of nuclear warfare. First sustainable reactor was in Tennessee. They now work on many things, fusion reactors, non-cryo superconductors, etc. The city built there was secret and surrounded by mountains in case of... uh... bad things. They thought they were working on alchemy. Making synthetic copper.

So you are assuming that because they said the regen was up to 0.4g, that it stays at 0.4g the whole time? What if it only maintains that level for 1 second? Did they have a graph like you posted for the other vehicles?
All those graphs are constant decel. Yeah, I think it's weird also, but that's probably the safe way to write software that involves braking.

Like the Model 3, there are no detailed instrumented tests yet on the i-Pace.

All those graphs are constant decel. Yeah, I think it's weird also, but that's probably the safe way to write software that involves braking.

Like the Model 3, there are no detailed instrumented tests yet on the i-Pace.

Yes, clearly there's a good reason for constant regen deceleration, and that's why everyone uses it. The reason they say "up to" .4g is that the driver can use either high or low regen settings, as well as the brake pedal. Apparently, high regen enables 0.2g of regen braking, and an additional 0.2g is available by using the (blended) brake pedal. It's explained in the video linked below, after about the 12:00 mark.

I used to drive the Bolt, and thought the regen was excellent. Apparently the Jag will be similar to the Bolt's high regen setting but without the extra regen paddle (.2g vs .21g for the Bolt), and the remaining .2g will be available only via the brake pedal. Jaguar's approach seems better than Chevy's - the paddle was a bit clumsy. It might be nice to have the full 0.4g available for 'one pedal driving', but perhaps that would just be too powerful; I'm guessing that's why Jag designed it the way they did.

Yes, clearly there's a good reason for constant regen deceleration, and that's why everyone uses it. The reason they say "up to" .4g is that the driver can use either high or low regen settings, as well as the brake pedal. Apparently, high regen enables 0.2g of regen braking, and an additional 0.2g is available by using the (blended) brake pedal. It's explained in the video linked below, after about the 12:00 mark.

I used to drive the Bolt, and thought the regen was excellent. Apparently the Jag will be similar to the Bolt's high regen setting but without the extra regen paddle (.2g vs .21g for the Bolt), and the remaining .2g will be available only via the brake pedal. Jaguar's approach seems better than Chevy's - the paddle was a bit clumsy. It might be nice to have the full 0.4g available for 'one pedal driving', but perhaps that would just be too powerful; I'm guessing that's why Jag designed it the way they did.

It will be interesting to see if they set it up right. I really hope it has a kW meter easily visible.

The 2 level regen should only apply to the accelerator pedal. For people who want the car to act 'normal' when they lift, gently slowing down. But blended brakes should always be able to max out the regen all by themselves. So .3g from the brakes, and .1g from the accelerator. Or .2g from each.

thanks @McRat i just googled and it said late this year. very cool imo.

I need something to drive in the winter. One thing is certain, I won't be taking my pristine classic P85 out in the snow with the savages that drive the harrowing suburban streets of Arlington Heights Illinois ffs. It will be a collectors dream one day and I intend to capitalize on that day.

I kid, it's for her.

The i-Pace team was put together (2013) just after the highest management of Jaguar (the owner and iirc, the CEO) had done a tour of the North American dealership network. (2009-2012)The thing the dealers emphasised was the need, across the entire Jag range, for serious winter-driving abilities.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the i-Pace got designed for, and got a a lot of testing in, snowy sub-zero conditions in the Arctic.
- the heat scavenging from the environment (and iirc the motor cooling) is used for cabin and battery heating in sub-zero conditions
- the battery chemistry is not damaged by being left in ambient temperatures down to -40degC/-40degF
- the batteries can be used .charged at ambient -32C/-28F
- there is a battery pre-condition cycle while it's grid-connected

It's claimed that this means the i-Pace retains a high proportion of its range in winter.

Plus
- it's AWD
- it has a special low-speed 'cruise control' for very slippery conditions.

The footage of the i-Pace going up the very steep slope on a loose and dusty track impressed me. Robert Llewellyn did both the up and the downslopes using the special cruise control. (And I presume the others did too)

Plus McRat mentions the regen has antilock, which is cool.

Last edited:
thanks @McRat i just googled and it said late this year. very cool imo.

I need something to drive in the winter. One thing is certain, I won't be taking my pristine classic P85 out in the snow with the savages that drive the harrowing suburban streets of Arlington Heights Illinois ffs. It will be a collectors dream one day and I intend to capitalize on that day.

I kid, it's for her.

The i-Pace team was put together just after the highest management of Jaguar (the owner and iirc, the CEO) had done a tour of the North American dealership network, The thing the dealers emphasised was the need for serious winter-driving abilities.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Jaguar got a lot of testing in znowy sub-zero conditions in the Arctic.
- the heat scavenging from the environment (and iirc the motor cooling) is used for cabin and battery heating in sub-zero conditions
- the batteru chemistry is not damaged by being left in ambient temperatures down to -40degC/-40degF
- the batteries can be used .charged at ambient -32C/-28F
- there is a battery pre-condition cycle while it's grid-connected

It's claimed that this means the i-Pace retains a high proportion of its range in winter.

Plus
- it's AWD
= it has a special low-speed 'cruise control' for very slippery conditions.

The footage of the i-Pace going up the very steep slope on a loose and dusty track impressed me. Robert Llewellyn did both the up and the downslopes using the special cruise control. (And I presume the others did too)

I assume you are speaking of the Bolt. You claim it gets typically 283 miles "real world" driving?

As impressed as I am with the Bolt, that's not what I've generally read. Quick Google:

Driving at 55MPH = 270 miles

Driving at 75 drops it to 190 miles

Mostly 65MOH on a track = 250 miles

Lots more hits like this. None of them are saying that they are getting 19% more range without hypermiling techniques...

GM's EPA estimate for the Bolt was 200 miles. The final EPA certification was 238 miles.
238 miles is 19% higher than 200 miles.

Jaguars EPA estimate for the i-Pace is currently 220 miles. If they are as cautious as GM were, the Jaguars EPA certified figure would end up as 262 miles.

Are you a Jag employee?

No, I set up and run social enterprises, generally in children's health.

I've a mild EV obsession and a bad spreadsheet habit,tho'.

your entire posting history is essentially on this product plus a few charging posts.

Yep, that's all I've posted at TMC. I've always been a lurker on this site til now.

Elsewhere, I also post my predictions of when the Model 3 will hit 5k/week. (IMO, there's a 6% chance of hitting the end of June, and the 50/50 chance mark is third week in July).

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
Any i-pace comments or insights?

Do you have a specific question? I did a lot of homework before ordering.
The cars are only in the hands of reporters and VIPs at this point. Full production starts in July. Demo cars should be in dealerships in August I'm told. My car should arrive in late Sept supposedly.

If you want a First Edition, you might consider ordering. I'm told they are limited. Each dealer will typically get allocated 1 or 2. If that is true or not, I do not know. The FE is a quick order package with most the options available. It has a unique color that will only be used for the FE in 2019 and discontinued. Photon Red. But if you pay extra, you can get it in black or gray.