Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

January 2022 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s strange that it takes 2-3 weeks for updates to occur on new vehicles. I’m a software engineer and I can understand not doing updates while the cars are sitting at the factory, but once they are received at the service centers pending delivery they should update automatically. Each car comes with free 30 days premium connectivity so an update can be done. When an owner picks up their car they should be totally up to date. It’s like when you buy an ICE car and have SiriusXM, but it doesn’t activate for 2-3 weeks. The updating feature just isn’t programmed to occur like it should. It would be interesting to know why.
All vehicles update when Tesla sends out updates for appropriate vehicles and versions of vehicles. No 2-3 week delay. Not sure where that idea came from. Received Model Y in February, software update the next day after delivery etc. Not sure why I am even responding to the idea lol, it is silly. No offense but yea. The updates go out whenever. No delay after purchase.

All vehicles update when Tesla sends out updates for appropriate vehicles and versions of vehicles. No 2-3 week delay. Not sure where that idea came from. Received Model Y in February, software update the next day after delivery etc. Not sure why I am even responding to the idea lol, it is silly. No offense but yea. The updates go out whenever. No delay after purchase.
That’s what I thought and that’s what makes sense. I was just responding to what the other person said.

Reactions: Evthusiast
@Gary.F I get it. I'm a software engineer too. anyhow as you can see one persons insists you will get your first update immediately & I'm just a fool for suggesting otherwise. Enjoy the car.
I don’t think you’re a fool at all. I think it’s the case of where it seems Tesla isn’t consistent. But there is also a lot of cases I’m sure where updates are dependent on WIFI. Maybe someone didn’t have WIFI available for the 2-3 weeks. I read where small updates can come over cellular data. Large updates won’t. It appears everyone seems to have different experiences with Tesla. So again you’re not a fool and I thank you for the info you did provide. One thing I will do is see how mine updates and when and report it back here.

I don’t think you’re a fool at all. I think it’s the case of where it seems Tesla isn’t consistent. But there is also a lot of cases I’m sure where updates are dependent on WIFI. Maybe someone didn’t have WIFI available for the 2-3 weeks. I read where small updates can come over cellular data. Large updates won’t. It appears everyone seems to have different experiences with Tesla. So again you’re not a fool and I thank you for the info you did provide. One thing I will do is see how mine updates and when and report it back here.
Not a fool by any means. Tesla used to do updates via cellular data back in the day where data was free for all Tesla owners. I have a 2013 model S...updates were always over the air cellular with no charge as Tesla did not figure out how to charge people yet. A few years back they finally stopped cellular updates. I park in a subterranean garage without wifi, but cellular worked there. Now I can not do software updates in my garage as they are only on Wifi now. I have to either go to the service center and use their wifi or use my hotspot on phone etc. Also they have so many cars on the road now, they had to start charging for data as the usage probably got ridiculous.

Not a fool by any means. Tesla used to do updates via cellular data back in the day where data was free for all Tesla owners. I have a 2013 model S...updates were always over the air cellular with no charge as Tesla did not figure out how to charge people yet. A few years back they finally stopped cellular updates. I park in a subterranean garage without wifi, but cellular worked there. Now I can not do software updates in my garage as they are only on Wifi now. I have to either go to the service center and use their wifi or use my hotspot on phone etc. Also they have so many cars on the road now, they had to start charging for data as the usage probably got ridiculous.
So if they are charging for data now, how does the premium connectivity work since you need it for live navigation, streaming and etc? Do we pay data for that?

So if they are charging for data now, how does the premium connectivity work since you need it for live navigation, streaming and etc? Do we pay data for that?
I was looking at that earlier.. Their site says..."
Is there any limitation on excessive data use?
Yes. In some cases where data usage is deemed as excessive and exceeds a fair daily usage, we reserve the right to reduce connectivity bandwidth."

Reactions: Gary.F
My EDD is now 9/16-9/30, and my account is open with the "Prepare for Delivery" prompt. No VIN yet, though.

I am trying to get an updated trade-in estimate from Tesla for my 2018 Long Range Model 3. One of the stipulations is that the car has not been in an accident. The car did have a minor accident in 2019, and it was repaired at a Tesla authorized shop. They actually fixed some very small things that didn't work properly on the car originally. Since it was repaired there, it kept the full warranty until April 2022. I have not been able to get a reply from Tesla about what to do with the online submission if the car had been in an accident.

The circumstances of that accident helped break my naivete about Tesla. The car had over 10k miles, and my spouse and I had been using it regularly for long road trips. We thoroughly enjoyed driving it and still do. However, we got conditioned to TACC responding well in traffic. We had it set to 2 and figured that it would still manage things. This was in one of those situations on a 4 lane highway where the slow lane has 18-wheelers that are spaced a good distance apart and the fast lane generally has a steady flow of traffic that is, usually, faster. Except for when someone decides to use the space between trucks to race up between them and cut back into the fast lane. Then, the "fast lane" drops by about 30 or more miles per hour as someone cuts in and everyone in the line ends up braking in a chain reaction to them. TACC set to 2 did not handle this situation, and by the time we could hit the brakes ourselves, the stopping/slowing distance was too short.

I highly recommend against ever rear-ending someone in a Tesla. I also will now not use TACC set below 5, even in stop and go traffic. I'm also not about to pay for FSD again.

I've seen that people are getting much lower offers from Tesla on their trade-in than what they were told a month or so ago. They said we'd get between $39.5k-$43.7k with a trade in back at the beginning of August. I still want to find out what they would give us now, but I feel it's more likely we'll deal with Carmax or the like.

The other issue is that I paid for FSD for the 3, and I was one of those salivating fools who stood in line on 3/31/2016 to put down my deposit. Thus, the car has lifetime premium connectivity. If I trade it into Tesla, I imagine those features will likely disappear (though it still has the updated FSD computer). If I sell it without it passing through the Spotless Mind treatment of the Tesla mothership, I think it keeps those features. The car is paid off, and charging it to 100% still gets a range estimate of 308 miles.

Any advice on waiting for the updated trade-in estimate from Tesla vs. saying no trade-in and just dealing with it after we have the Y?

We'd considered keeping the 3 and getting the Y, but if we can get something around $45k for the 3, there are other projects we can use the extra funding for. Plus, I have a reservation for an Aptera, which would make a much better 2nd car for us than the 3. I just hope Aptera makes it to production.

Good morning all. Picked up my Fremont built MYLR yesterday at the Raleigh NC Service and sales center. The car is gorgeous. The alignments are perfect. The white seats are great. It appears to have the matrix headlights (I’ll check further tonight). It does not have the upgraded console with magnetic lock. It does have the upgraded door panels. There is no cargo cover.

I drove home from Raleigh which is a 2 1/2 hour drive. The cruise control is great and so is auto pilot. I would get the warning on auto pilot to jiggle the steering wheel even though I never took my hand off the steering wheel. The ride was great and quiet. I left Raleigh with 83% and arrived home with 17%, driving 187 miles. The car is fun to drive.

The pick up process was simple and easy. Just went inside to see where my car was. An SA came up and got my name and we sat down where I signed some paperwork. She opened the trunk and unlocked the car. It was sitting up near the front of the building. She helped me link my phone. That’s all she did. She was off to her next customer.

Last edited:
Good morning all. Picked up my Fremont built MYLR yesterday at the Raleigh NC Service and sales center. The car is gorgeous. The alignments are perfect. The white seats are great. It appears to have the matrix headlights (I’ll check further tonight). It does not have the upgraded console with magnetic lock. It does have the upgraded door panels. There is no cargo cover.

I drove home from Raleigh which is a 2 1/2 hour drive. The cruise control is great and so is auto pilot. I would get the warning on auto pilot to jiggle the steering wheel even though I never took my hand off the steering wheel. The ride was great and quiet. I left Raleigh with 83% and arrived home with 17%, driving 187 miles. The car is fun to drive.

The pick up process was simple and easy. Just went inside to see where my car was. An SA came up and got my name and we sat down where I signed some paperwork. She opened the trunk and unlocked the car. It was sitting up near the front of the building. She helped me link my phone. That’s all she did. She was off to her next customer.
Congrats.

Did the mobile connector end up coming in the car? I recall that was going to be a big hassle for you if it didn't.