Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Join us if you are upset with the introduction of the D (RHD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Bonnie, this is my fault for being DUMB and trust Tesla is a publicly held company, they should reveal all the information about the D/Autopilot progress to the public/customer, did i miss anything form their blog/e-mail?

Hi Bonnie, this is my fault for being DUMB and trust Tesla is a publicly held company, they should reveal all the information about the D/Autopilot progress to the public/customer, did i miss anything form their blog/e-mail?

You likely heard the official announcement when the rest of us did - and for the record, the majority of their employees heard it that day, too.

zzzronan, Does Apple (or Samsung or HTC for that matter) release information about their next product when you buy this year's product?
It's not YOUR fault -- nobody is saying it is. But is it Tesla's "fault" either that they invested R&D resources to bring innovations to the car?
Before, I was more neutral in this discussion, but I'm increasingly leaning on Tesla's side. It seems the earliest the P85D RHD drive model will arrive in Hong Kong is August 2015. That means even the Signature holders will have had the latest and greatest model for a year. That's not too bad. My two cents worth.

zzzronan, Does Apple (or Samsung or HTC for that matter) release information about their next product when you buy this year's product?
It's not YOUR fault -- nobody is saying it is. But is it Tesla's "fault" either that they invested R&D resources to bring innovations to the car?
Before, I was more neutral in this discussion, but I'm increasingly leaning on Tesla's side. It seems the earliest the P85D RHD drive model will arrive in Hong Kong is August 2015. That means even the Signature holders will have had the latest and greatest model for a year. That's not too bad. My two cents worth.

Hi AppleFan, Yes! Apple/Samsung/HTC/Sony won't let us know the next gen features of their phone but we all know the announcement date/launch event/conference date etc. also for the smartphone cycle is about a yr for a new gen phone. It just like the people won't buy the iPhone 5S in August/September 2014, when all people know the iPhone 6 launch event on September 9, 2014... and Smart phone cycle versus Car cycle? Does Benz/BMW/VW/McLaren/Ferrari/Bugatti release a new car/upgraded car/ super car every year? Sorry I'm saying the RHD version and my car just arrived only 1 month and 23 days in Hong Kong.

You likely heard the official announcement when the rest of us did - and for the record, the majority of their employees heard it that day, too.

Hi Bonnie, is it called "sudden"? For my case YES, I don't have the TMC account until I get the car(I read the news from Tesla's blog and e-mail) and 1 month 20 days later Tesla announced "D", I don't have choice and have to face the depreciation of my car.

Hi AppleFan, Yes! Apple/Samsung/HTC/Sony won't let us know the next gen features of their phone but we all know the announcement date/launch event/conference date etc. also for the smartphone cycle is about a yr for a new gen phone. It just like the people won't buy the iPhone 5S in August/September 2014, when all people know the iPhone 6 launch event on September 9, 2014... and Smart phone cycle versus Car cycle? Does Benz/BMW/VW/McLaren/Ferrari/Bugatti release a new car/upgraded car/ super car every year? Sorry I'm saying the RHD version and my car just arrived only 1 month and 23 days in Hong Kong.

With all due respect, I don't really understand your argument:
1. So even if Tesla has the technology ready, they should wait a couple of years to introduce the new technology? Innovation should be slowed down? I refer to Tesla's mission statement: "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible." (Emphasis added.) (Source: The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors)

2. If Tesla is 100% transparent about their entire product pipeline (completely to the detriment to retaining competitive advantage), would they ever sell any cars? People will keep waiting for the next model. When you buy a product, you are buying the features as they were presented to you. They delivered all the features you signed up for (albeit with a significant delay -- I was annoyed by that as well). As I said in my last post, the latest we have heard is that the RHD P85D will only be delivered to Hong Kong in August 2015 -- by then, your current car will already be a year old. So you will have already enjoyed the "latest and greatest car" for a year. In my mind, that's already quite a long time. Of course, we all want to have the latest and greatest for as long as possible, but Tesla exists to make a profit and for the mission statement above -- and Planet Earth must continue revolving.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Can't the people from Hongkong who badly want a P85D now, just sell their P85+ (and order the P85D)? Given that there is a lot of demand for the Model S in Hongkong, there might be quite some interest in buying a hardly used P85+. I don't think you will take a hit, you might even be able to get what you paid for it because the buyer can drive it immediately, doesn't have to wait for 8-10 months or more.

I know that wait then becomes your wait, but that wouldn't have been any different if Tesla had allowed you to change your P85+ to P85D.

Last edited:
Can't the people from Hongkong who badly want a P85D now, just sell their P85+ (and order the P85D)? Given that there is a lot of demand for the Model S in Hongkong, there might be quite some interest in buying a hardly used P85+.

I've heard a couple have done just that. It will be interesting to see the offer prices.

P.S. P85D deliveries here are now supposedly Feb/Mar 2015. The other D's will be later.

Hi Bonnie, is it called "sudden"? For my case YES, I don't have the TMC account until I get the car(I read the news from Tesla's blog and e-mail) and 1 month 20 days later Tesla announced "D", I don't have choice and have to face the depreciation of my car.

How is this any different than with other car manufacturers, phone manufacturers etc. The new version will be available somewhere end of Q1 next year, which makes it more than 6 months after you received your current car (not 1 month and 20 days). The same happens when you buy any other brand halfway in the current model year, not even a year later the next model year is out and your car is 'obsolete'.

I really wonder, would you have waited more than half a year if the DS would have called you 2 months ago with this option, meaning that you would be missing out on being one of the first to drive a car from the future in HK? (While all your friends would already be cruising around, showing off...).

That said, I'm certainly looking forward to my next Tesla, knowing that a lot of new features are in store... It's been a long time since I had that feeling with other brands...

With vehicles not yet delivered I think it is unreasonable and poorly planned to expect people to take a car that is no longer the current model. They are just pissing people off here by the way it was handled. I know that many people have told their DS (including me) that they will not take delivery if the car doesn't have the new equipment. I wonder if it would be worth Tesla letting everyone awaiting delivery know if they are getting the new hardware, to save on shipping cars to Hong Kong and back to the US when delivery is not accepted. People in HK will usually not consider an old model anything, let alone a car.

As an existing MS owner (2 months), I understand the rule of the game and largely fine with it. However, I do understand fully on those who are about to take or have just got their MS here in HK: from the design studio, full option P85D costs about HKD100k (~10%) more than similar equipped P85. The choice is well written on the wall - in the world of ICE, how much more will we need to pay to increase the 0-100km/hr acceleration from 4.4s to 3.4s?

Certainly a lot of complaining from Hong Kong about the P85D.

You can complain all you want, maybe it will make you feel better, but I don't think it will change anything. You got (or will soon get) exactly what you ordered and paid for. Your Tesla will be still be quite rare and special in Hong Kong. I would try to calm down and enjoy your Tesla.

Expecting some special compensation because Tesla introduced some product improvements while you were waiting for delivery is not very fair or realistic.

I have no doubt Tesla know they can't afford to upset HK, China reputation and sales will be affected, as will the hundred of customers. It's quite clear that the Overseas buyers don't understand the market conditions here or peoples experience with Tesla HK. When you don't advertise, reputation is everything. And as my DS said today, virtually all deposit payers won't take delivery of out of date vehicles.

I have no doubt Tesla know they can't afford to upset HK, China reputation and sales will be affected, as will the hundred of customers. It's quite clear that the Overseas buyers don't understand the market conditions here or peoples experience with Tesla HK. When you don't advertise, reputation is everything. And as my DS said today, virtually all deposit payers won't take delivery of out of date vehicles.

TSLA fell almost 12% after the introduction of D. It seems to have created more questions than answers at least in a short run.

Certainly a lot of complaining from Hong Kong about the P85D.

You can complain all you want, maybe it will make you feel better, but I don't think it will change anything. You got (or will soon get) exactly what you ordered and paid for. Your Tesla will be still be quite rare and special in Hong Kong. I would try to calm down and enjoy your Tesla.

Expecting some special compensation because Tesla introduced some product improvements while you were waiting for delivery is not very fair or realistic.

The main thing is loss of value. We don't know for sure, of course, but the P85+ has likely lost 30K USD value overnight - before even being delivered (to some). And "it doesn't snow in HK" has nothing to do with it. If the price of the new model had reflected the added value - then no problem, but it's severely undercutting the existing models, especially the P85+

See previous posts also.

There are two sides here, I can see both points. Same arguments comes up about it from either perspective, so I am not going to repeat details of what I already wrote.

So I understand both the frustration and the ridiculing.

The depreciation rate for any given car is roughly known or expected by most car buyers prior to commiting to their purchase.

However, with Tesla's unusual delivery timing and product update cycle (in HK), their cars appear to be depreciating faster than the owners' original expectation.

In some of the Tesla's official email responses, they emphasize that they are more like a tech company rather than a car company. I'm under the impression that they are basically trying to educate us (HK customers) Tesla cars will depreciate at an unpredictable rate, or at least at a rate that is different from "normal" cars.

If that's the case, fair enough. Interesting brand strategy too.

An easy way out would be to offer an official trade up program. If you're going to bring dramatic updates to your products at potentially awkward times, at least let us buyers know what kind of value is left in our "old" cars.

Hong Kong signature buyers aren't experiencing anything different than US signature buyers... Extremely long wait times with large deposits. US signature owners all own vehicles without dozens of nice features added shortly thereafter. Perhaps people that can't deal with this shouldn't be early adopters? Most new technology experiences this kind of curve.