Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just announced. 500k cars by 2018 instead of 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, in the Earnings Call, Elon said he believed the Fremont factory could produce a million cars/year but it might not be "wise", and explained that the global logistics of shipping so many cars to overseas customers wasn't cost effective, it would make more sense to build new factories (vehicle production and Gigafactory) on the "continents" where the customers were located, specifically in Europe and China.
I found the way he approached this answer to be confusing. As I recall it, the questioner was trying to get at -- for North America is the Fremont factory (+ GF1) enough? I think it was already well known that for off-continent deliveries, additional factories were kind of a given.

I found the way he approached this answer to be confusing. As I recall it, the questioner was trying to get at -- for North America is the Fremont factory (+ GF1) enough? I think it was already well known that for off-continent deliveries, additional factories were kind of a given.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that he stated Europe and China, an obvious given, but also stated the need for another factory in North America besides Fremont in the long run.

Elon directly and explicitly stated this is not the case. Specifically, he said that it could be done with just the existing Fremont factory + GF1 but that it might be not advisable. FYI, since you seemed to miss that on the CC. :)

You are right, I should have said "ramp up past the 1 million in 2020 (and if he is wise, and we know he is, even for this)". ;)

This is a quote from Musk about a second factory in North America.

"And particularly as we saturate on Fremont volume in terms of satisfying demand in North America, just to satisfy demand in North America, for our future product lineup we're going to need more than one plant in North America, just to satisfy North America demand."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that he stated Europe and China, an obvious given, but also stated the need for another factory in North America besides Fremont in the long run.
I guess it depends on how you define "long run". I heard him explicitly indicate that it's not required but likely advisable to put more factories in N/A by 2020. Perhaps I misheard or misunderstood.

Previously I had little concern about the SuperCharger network.

Now, those concerns are working their way to the front.
Tesla MUST get back on track with opening superchargers to support this many Tesla vehicles.

I think you seriously over-estimate how much super charger demand there is with current owners.... and also over-estimate how many Model 3's will be sold with super-charging which will almost definitely be an expensive option.

I have talked to people who are convinced there need to be as many rapid charging stations as gas stations and it's patently ridiculous. Your house with its connection to the electrical grid is the "gas station" for 99% of owners.

Super charging needing to grow is primarily to make long distance travel in an EV less painful... and that's about it.

As I understood it, Elon was answering the question in two ways: is the Fremont factory potentially capable of producing a million cars/year (answer: probably) and would it make sense to produce a million cars/year in the Fremont factory (answer: probably not the most efficient thing to do, better to add factories where the overseas customers were, meaning Europe and Asia).

This is exciting news. My first order was in store at 10:30am. My second was that night about 15 minutes before the unveiling. That means I SHOULD be able to get my first order in 2017, and even if I get the call to order the second in 2017, I can ask for delivery in early 2018, which would mean we'd get the tax credit both years.

100,000 by the end of 2017? wow that's awesome. I ordered at 10:15 am EST on the east coast so I'm probably in the top 30,000 orders placed. Considering i get bumped by employees, previous owners and those on the west coast, I assume I'll get mine around 120,000th in the order list which puts me right around the beginning of 2018. I'll be happy with that. Make sure any kinks are worked out.

Reactions: Justmurr
I think you seriously over-estimate how much super charger demand there is with current owners.... and also over-estimate how many Model 3's will be sold with super-charging which will almost definitely be an expensive option.

I have talked to people who are convinced there need to be as many rapid charging stations as gas stations and it's patently ridiculous. Your house with its connection to the electrical grid is the "gas station" for 99% of owners.

Super charging needing to grow is primarily to make long distance travel in an EV less painful... and that's about it.

Agreed. Building out production and getting the Model 3 into hands of customers as fast as possible while maintaining a high level of quality should trump the need for more Superchargers. If they just keep building them at the pace they mentioned at the Model 3 rollout I'm sure it will be fine.

Let's make it clear:

The wait times at Superchargers is currently a non-problem.

It is unlikely to become a problem before and even after the Model 3 reaches production for a while.

There is no evidence that it will become a problem even after the Model 3 reaches large production numbers. It certainly might become a big problem at some point. That point is completely unknown.

On the other hand:

There is an enormous need to get the Model 3 into production as fast as possible. It is a current problem that needs and in some ways has been addressed.

I'm more concerned about Service Center access than Supercharger access. Then again, I usually drive less than 40 miles/day and have a garage for easy home charging.
How often does one need to visit a service center?

Regarding charging, I will mostly drive ~10 miles a day, > 50 miles a day about once per week, and >100 miles in a day maybe once a month, so even a 110V overnight trickle charge in my garage may just work well enough for me, really could not care any less about supercharger availability.