Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just canceled my MX order - here's why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm of the belief that reliability is a biased event -> the more expensive the purchase, the smaller the inconvenience that will annoy you. For instance, I never complain about my refrigerator. Until it died and the only built in that would fit was a Sub-Zero at $13,000. I pay more attention to that silly refrigerator - fitting of the doors, noise, water filter, etc. - that if CR asked me my opinion, I'd have to say it's less reliable than the $300 fridge in the garage. I think to a point, it's about financial perception of "expected" reliability.

I'm wondering why you are posting? You clearly have made your decision. Did you not look at the forums prior to plunking down $2500?

I ended keeping my MX order and posted about it.

if CR asked me my opinion, I'd have to say it's less reliable than the $300 fridge in the garage. I think to a point, it's about financial perception of "expected" reliability.

But that's not how it works. CR isn't an opinion poll, it collects and collates specific data on repair / service events and segments them by buyer, product, component, etc - then does regression analysis over time.

Took delivery today of the MX. There was one visible pit in the paint finish, but other than a few small surface areas that needed to be wiped off - the car is excellent. No issues that I can tell in 100 miles of ownership.

My thanks to the Santa Barbara delivery team for prioritizing my delivery! The car arrived to the showroom late last night and they had it prepped and ready this afternoon in time for holiday travel.

We are beyond thrilled and many thanks to this forum for talking me off the ledge. I'll provide a more detailed report once we clock more time on the car.

IMG-3577.jpg

I've probably run through every YouTube review, CR review, and others for the past year. For me, placed an order October and waiting for my MX. IMO, any review can be biased (either direction)....its just a review and we should use our best judgement to integrate these opinions together. With that said, I have had a long history of Honda/Acura's, Toyota's and BMW's which including a few 2015-present models and all purchased brand new. These vehicles are no doubt "ranked higher" than Tesla based on the CR review.

Guess what, my Acura RDX air conditioner M-switch fails after three years costing about $2500 and for some odd reason the rear-right wheel alignment is out (no collisions, never hit a big pot hole, or the like...just regular freeway commuting) that would be about $3,000. My 2016 BMW X5 electronic parking brake gets stuck while trying to back out of my driving--requiring emergency manual release (pulling a panel in the back of the vehicle) and requiring the whole system to be reset at the Service Center. I've also had two instances where I had to "re-boot" the car due to the heads up display not showing and/or the LCD display in the console not showing various data. Now, every now and then, my brakes creek as I back up despite good pads. My wife's 2016 Toyota Tundra loses the "Toyota symbol" cap on the allow wheels, and a plastic rail on the root pops off at the automated carwash. I can provide more examples, but my take home here is that any car is susceptible to issues.

I concede that "build quality" may be a variable with Tesla. That is both known and improving, however, in terms of reliability -- I've had plenty of issues from more popular manufacturers that have "strong" records in terms of reliability. The more technology you stuff into a vehicle, the more issues that can go wrong. How many issues have iOS or Samsung smart phone users had with their $500-1000 phones? Patch issues on iOS to exploding batteries on the Samsung Galaxy Note. I can avoid these phone issues by buying one of those old school Nokia phones, but nope...still have my smart phone. Paying >$100,000 for a vehicle doesn't neccessarily have to equal superior reliability. Folks that have high end super cars such as Lamborghinis can attest that these vehicles weren't really made to last a life time. I think Tesla may sometimes just be a victim of the expectations that society has created and in part, generated by Elon too. However, for a company that doesn't really advertise, I'm still seeing Model S and 3's all over the place (I live in Northern CA) and all the owners that I've talked to would buy another one if given a chance. They're doing something right. Just saying;).

Reactions: Phlier and Bogobec
On Day 3, we did our first screen reboot.

Took a video for posterity, but essentially the symptoms were no turn signals, no audio from any source, LTE showed no signal and navigation showed "no connectivity."

We were thankful to have been prepared for this eventuality.

While we are still very happy with the car, the "median viewpoint" noted above ("car is amazing, expect issues and some frustration") is dead balls accurate.

Some other bugaboos - sometimes the front doors don't open all the way - or at all. Why? No one in the way.

The worst happened once -- this past Saturday, I was loading some items in the rear of the car when the hatch started closing automatically on me. I was brushed slightly, but quickly extracted myself from being in harms way, but a less agile person would have been squeezed by the closing trunk. The key fob was in my pocket, the car was on, not sure why it would have done that. Even if I did an accidental roof squeeze on the key fob, are there no sensors?

The worst happened once -- this past Saturday, I was loading some items in the rear of the car when the hatch started closing automatically on me. I was brushed slightly, but quickly extracted myself from being in harms way, but a less agile person would have been squeezed by the closing trunk. The key fob was in my pocket, the car was on, not sure why it would have done that. Even if I did an accidental roof squeeze on the key fob, are there no sensors?

You most certainly have the close all doors set on a single click of the 'roof' key fob. You can set it to triple click to avoid such issue. And no, I think there is no sensor in the inside of the hatch. They added some to the interior of the FWD this year I think tho.

You most certainly have the close all doors set on a single click of the 'roof' key fob. You can set it to triple click to avoid such issue. And no, I think there is no sensor in the inside of the hatch. They added some to the interior of the FWD this year I think tho.
Good call.

New issue today- passenger window rolls up, then back down. Found the Model X reset procedure to recalibrate, which worked. Thankfully was with my wife when it happened because she would have otherwise driven back home (car parked in a dodgy area).

The car is definitely buggy.

I absolutely love this thread. I was about to weigh in but see that the OP made a great decision.

The thing about Consumer Reports is that they can be right about so many things but be wrong in a big way. I am long time Consumer Reports reader and have followed many of their recommendations. In some abstract way they may be statistically correct, but the reality is the things that I have had go wrong are small relative to the joy of ownership. I have an early X and now a Model 3 also. The early X had some issues but nothing urgent. I had a list when I went in for my first service and they worked though it. The Model 3 has no issues to deal with.

As an example of a CR fail - I bought one of their top rate vacuums - a Miele. It scored really high on all measured characteristics. Absolutely everyone who had to use it - including me - aboslutely hated it. Heavier than its actual weight, hard to maneuver,etc. Still a top rated item - but I wouldn’t go near it again. I do think CR serves a valid purpose, I still subscribe, but I now use it as one of many considerations rather than as an authoritative source.

I am looking forward to hearing how the OP likes the X. My guess is that the joy of ownership will significantly.outweigh the minor issues and inconveniences that arise.

I'm going to wait for Tesla to get serious about reliability and delivery consistency.

Despite some on these boards saying MX builds are improving, the consensus from independent sources like Consumer Reports is the opposite -- reliability on the MX is going DOWN. CR notes Drive System, Body Integrity, In Car Electronics have all declined over the past three years. Climate system is the only thing that improved. I can't risk a $120k purchase with screens going black mid-trip, doors unexpectedly opening or refusing to close.

It is clear that MX and MS are the bastard stepchildren of Tesla's focus, which is squarely on the M3. It's a shame but it's truth. I have two friends that recently ordered M3s and have already taken delivery. Meanwhile I'm waiting for the Fremont crumbs on a vehicle over 2x the price. And for what...? The LOWEST RELIABILITY SUV in the country? I'm fine to lose my $2500. I fear the loss would be even greater stewing in regret 6 months from now.

I just can't unsee this chart -- the damn car needs to work.

wO5sk4R.png

zSsFzoT.jpg
Owned 3 Tesla’s including an X. Haven’t had an ounce of unreliability and question validity of these CR reports. The minor things I have had Tesla has repaired completely w out question under warrantee w far better customer service than prior Audi and other premium brands I’ve owned. I’ll be staying w Tesla for a long time!

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Hi,
Sorry to say, but buying a Tesla is honestly a risk regarding issues with the cars. I have all 3 (s, 3 and X) and have had the following issues with the Model X;

• Trailer hitch missing on delivery and only installed months later
  • Car would not leave Park, and had Parking Brake Needs Service Warning - Needed to be picked up at my home from the garage
  • Fogging of the taillights - Both replaced
  • Car Needs Service - Steering Assistance Reduced and Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled - Wiring issue
  • Drivers window opens extremely slow - still not rectified
  • Screen yellowing issue and replaced
The car was out of service so many days in the first year I filed for protection under NJ Lemon Law.

Now having said all of the above I decided to keep the car and after the first few months of issues the car has not had any other problems so far. Even though it has been problematic for us (as has my Model S and our Model 3 is now starting with it's first issue - replacement of 12V battery), we still like these cars better than any others we have owned including Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes and Audis.

I tell most people it is a lot like owning the first generation iPhone, it is awesome most of the time, but be prepared for some issues. I still recommend Teslas to everyone that asks, but I explain that while you can have a trouble free experience, you should prepare for the Tesla Experience ;)

Hi! I'm in the process of deciding MX 75D or a M3P, since they are of a similar price point, which one would you recommend? I would love to have a fun but also comfortable car. I've been torn and have been watching countless review videos to try to make a decision.

Hi,

Hi! I'm in the process of deciding MX 75D or a M3P, since they are of a similar price point, which one would you recommend? I would love to have a fun but also comfortable car. I've been torn and have been watching countless review videos to try to make a decision.

Those two can’t be more different. Only you can decide what you want.

They provide completely different experience right from utility, interior space, number of passengers, driving fun factor and most importantly range. So i am not sure how you can compare both and decide. You either need a compact SUV or perf car and that decision needs to be made even before you test drive them.

Reactions: mswlogo