Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just drove a loaner 2015 P85D (L?) today ..... OMG.........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost got a 2014 P85D before I got my 75D, but I missed the deal at the last minute. One day, in the future when I replace the 75D, I hope to get a 2018 P100D or 2019 Dual Motor Long Range Performance
I am crossing my fingers for you! These are SO MUCH FUN! And if you drive them daintily, you can get 150 mpge. You can't do that with an ICE that has over 700 hp!

Reactions: SilverGS
I bought my Insane 2015 P85D+ before Ludicrous was offered as an upgrade (and is no longer available). Drove it Insane for 2.5 years then upgraded it to Ludicrous in January 2018 right after the Ludicrous upgrade offer expired. My P85D+ was probably the last Ludicrous upgrade Tesla installed.

SIGNIFICANT difference in acceleration with the Ludicrous upgrade vs. Insane.

Insane is great 0 to ~ 30 mph then Insane acceleration fades compared to Ludicrous which continues to pull HARD to ~ 60 mph.

Ludicrous also maintains its power at lower SoC (State of Charge) while Insane really needs to be 80% or even 90% to get full power.

I later replaced my original HEAVY 21" Turbine "square" wheels and Continental ContiSportContact tires with much lighter and stronger 21" Arachnid "staggered" wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires which definitely feel faster and handle better too. The "staggered" Arachnids and super sticky Michelin PSS tires are the perfect combination with the Plus Suspension.

LOVE to drive this beast... especially since it's EPA rated at 90 MPGe... or INFINITY MPGe when I utilize the FREE Supercharging.

I bought Tesla's 4 year Extended Service Agreement in March which will give me 4 more years / 50,000 more Smiles with only a small deductible for any issues. Should hold me over until the Model S is refreshed... or I find a deal on a Plaid Model S.

In the meantime, lovin' my "unicorn" ride (which even had NextGen (Recaro) leather seats front and rear:

View attachment 461234

View attachment 461199

sundoc, A moment ago
yup... my same config :)
amazing car and config and I think I got the last Canadian Ludy upgrade as well!

I am in the market for an S. I thought about the 85DL, but wondered if I could live with the range, 253 miles, which probably means 200 miles in reality, especially on road trips. Any words of wisdom out there in this regard?

I am in the market for an S. I thought about the 85DL, but wondered if I could live with the range, 253 miles, which probably means 200 miles in reality, especially on road trips. Any words of wisdom out there in this regard?
  1. How many miles is your daily commute round trip?
  2. How many times/year do you travel over 200 miles?
  3. When driving an ICE car do you drive over 200 miles without stopping for a quick restroom/lunch break?
Mine is 250 miles and I regularly get 220 miles. I've never had any range anxiety yet.

The longest trip leg we've ever done on our 2015 P85D+ was 200 actual miles between Page AZ and Blanding UT Superchargers in mild weather / wind in early March. I Supercharged to 100% (250 rated miles) at Page AZ then drove very conservatively with Range Mode ON the first 3/4 of this trip leg carefully watching our estimated % State of Charge (SoC) at Blanding to keep it above 20%. Once we were in the final 1/4 and showed 25% estimated SoC I picked up our speed and arrived at the Blanding Supercharger with ~ 20% SoC.

We've done several road trips using EV Trip Planner (or A Better Route Planner) and checked the weather along our route for pre-trip planning... and the Tesla Navigation, storm radar app and ABRP during our trips. Never ran out of power in 50,000 miles including some VERY remote routes / destinations.

Safest "rule of thumb" is ~ 150 miles per trip leg which is also ~ 2 hours between stops. VERY comfortable healthy way to travel vs. "holding it" for 3+ hours like we used to in our ICE vehicles. We arrive MUCH more relaxed and energized.

However, since Superchargers have become SO much more prolific in our last 4 years of ownership, today I typically just enter our destination into the Tesla Navigation unless weather will be a factor (high head / cross winds, high or low temperatures, snow or rain). Otherwise we just enjoy the incredibly serene trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverGS
  1. How many miles is your daily commute round trip?
About 35 miles, have chargers at work, but often occupied.
  1. How many times/year do you travel over 200 miles?
Once or twice, but then it might be 1500 miles. I take your point that it might not be that big of a deal. But I live in a condo without a charging opportunity. If I can get through a week, there is a supercharger not far from something I do on Saturdays. Also, I have another car, so I would not be stuck.
  1. When driving an ICE car do you drive over 200 miles without stopping for a quick restroom/lunch break?
It has happened, but admittedly not often.
Mine is 250 miles and I regularly get 220 miles. I've never had any range anxiety yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the real question is whether it makes sense to buy a new one to get the extra range for an extra cost of, easily, $25,000. I have heard that the 85s have some of the best handling.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the real question is whether it makes sense to buy a new one to get the extra range for an extra cost of, easily, $25,000. I have heard that the 85s have some of the best handling.
If $25K is not a stretch for you, I would say go for it. I would have if it wasn't a stretch for me.

The other point to consider is that the $25K is not just the range either. You get a whole slew of major improvements and updated features as well.

Here's a list:

Changes & Updates to the Model S over the Past 4 Years

Reactions: BrokerDon
If $25K is not a stretch for you, I would say go for it. I would have if it wasn't a stretch for me.

The other point to consider is that the $25K is not just the range either. You get a whole slew of major improvements and updated features as well.

Here's a list:

Changes & Updates to the Model S over the Past 4 Years

How does it do in Ontario in the winter? I went to Montreal in January once. I could not believe how cold it was. It laughed at my warmest winter parka. Luckily my hosts, after also laughing at my apparel, gave me a heavier jacket. I had to work out to be strong enough to carry the weight (perhaps an exaggeration).

• Funny
How does it do in Ontario in the winter? I went to Montreal in January once. I could not believe how cold it was. It laughed at my warmest winter parka. Luckily my hosts, after also laughing at my apparel, gave me a heavier jacket. I had to work out to be strong enough to carry the weight (perhaps an exaggeration).
I'm sure it will do perfectly fine. Tons of Tesla's in Montreal and Toronto! I haven't had mine for long, but I will get winter tires in December.

Dropped off my 2016 75D at the Tesla Oakville SC for a faint but noticeable rattle sound coming from the front of the car (when seated in the car, you can hear the sound as if its coming from the steering or thereabouts).

Anyway they gave me a 2015 P85DL - it has Insane and Insane + modes, I guess its a P85DL. Is that correct.

Just vanilla Insane, not Ludicrous. The Ludicrous upgrade is considerably faster to 60 compared to the tame Insane mode.

So INSANE is slower than INSANE+? Why bother with INSANE+ to begin with. I don't get that. I can understand the Ludicrous and Ludicrous + Maybe its a safety thing they did after Insane mode was available to increase the battery's longevity.

Insane+ just turns on the battery heater. For instance, if you supercharged for a good while to 90%, there would be no difference between Insane and Insane+ because your battery would already be warmed to optimal...unless it was like a really cold day or something.

You'd pull 1350 amps regardless but the warmer the battery, the lower the voltage drop so the more power you'd make. L, for reference, on the 85 battery is 1500 amps. L on V1 and V2 90 is also 1500 amps. V3 90 is 1600 amps. P100D is 1762 amps.

My lifetime average in my P85DL is 303 wh / mile which is 7 less than rated. Freeway trips at 5 mph above the speed limit range from 270 to 290 wh / mile, so I'm easily exceeding rated range on the freeway.

I had a 2016 S 60/75 RWD that got 0-60 in 5.5s. Back in March 2019 Tesla had their end of quarter fire sale and I decided to trade for a 2018 P100DL inventory discounted car for $76k after tax incentives. About a $68k discount from the 2018 price or about $30k discount from current prices. I had never driven a P car before because I knew I would have to buy it.

I will never forget the first time I hit the accelerator after picking it up. If you're not ready, it punches so hard that it was uncomfortable and feels like your internal organs move in your body. My head hit the headrest so hard, over the multiple launches, I got a headache the next morning. That's when I knew I was in love.

Reactions: BigNick
I had a 2016 S 60/75 RWD that got 0-60 in 5.5s. Back in March 2019 Tesla had their end of quarter fire sale and I decided to trade for a 2018 P100DL inventory discounted car for $76k after tax incentives. About a $68k discount from the 2018 price or about $30k discount from current prices. I had never driven a P car before because I knew I would have to buy it.

I will never forget the first time I hit the accelerator after picking it up. If you're not ready, it punches so hard that it was uncomfortable and feels like your internal organs move in your body. My head hit the headrest so hard, over the multiple launches, I got a headache the next morning. That's when I knew I was in love.

My first test drive on an Insane P85D left me with a headache and nausea for about 4 hours. The second drive did the same thing for 30 minutes so I knew I was getting used it.

These days with Ludicrous, I don't even feel it. It feels like a normal car until I drive my prius and press the pedal and nothing happens:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Alysashley79
You are required to execute the highest level of launch even though it's an insane+. Go to a supercharger get to 100 and sit in it with insane+ selected. Fans will whir and blow. It will be loud. Go somewhere safe. Initiate proper launch sequence by pressing the top "T" icon and select the warp space icon. Hold brake, then press accelerator. Car will squat into launch mode. Let go brake. Hold on, brace yourself, and put the pedal to the metal!

I went from a P85 that had a series of warranty work and I got two P85DL+ as a loaner (two different times). From that point on that spec that was my dream tesla. Patience paid off and I acquired one a month ago. Grey clone of brokerdon. This is the top handling Model S spec. Other S's without the + suspension are inferior. Disclosure, I am bias.
D1483AB2-D7A5-4DF5-B82C-530AEC5635C0.jpeg

You are required to execute the highest level of launch even though it's an insane+. Go to a supercharger get to 100 and sit in it with insane+ selected. Fans will whir and blow. It will be loud. Go somewhere safe. Initiate proper launch sequence by pressing the top "T" icon and select the warp space icon. Hold brake, then press accelerator. Car will squat into launch mode. Let go brake. Hold on, brace yourself, and put the pedal to the metal!

I went from a P85 that had a series of warranty work and I got two P85DL+ as a loaner (two different times). From that point on that spec that was my dream tesla. Patience paid off and I acquired one a month ago. Grey clone of brokerdon. This is the top handling Model S spec. Other S's without the + suspension are inferior. Disclosure, I am bias.
View attachment 461876

My pre-april 2015 P85DL+. We are clones:

20160306_131452-jpg.113945

...except the center caps.