Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question on what happens if you ignore it. I thought the car had already downloaded it when you are in the ‘load me’ stage. So, I assume you still need to go through each one in order. No skipping ahead to a ‘good’ one!

If you don't want an update, ignore it. Yes, the car downloads it without your input, but it's not installed (*) unless you tell it to.

Skipping is fine. I ignored an update a year or so ago when Tesla changed something to do with autopilot (can't remember what) that I didn't want, so I waited 6 weeks for them to release a new version which undid their stupid decision. It was automatically installed, and I installed it

(*) Yes, Tesla can force an install. The most infamous was a forced install that disabled autopilot in Hong Kong when the authorities there claimed AP was not legal. (I have no idea the current status of AP in Hong Kong. This occurred 2 years ago or so.)

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and Matias
I haven’t driven on freeway since updating to 2017.42 or seen the Air Suspension error message:

“Air Suspension Needs Service Contact Tesla Service”

For those who have seen this.
Is it just an annoying erroneous error message?
Or is there an underlying mechanical issue that accompanies it?
Saw a post which used the word “stuck” also references to steering heaviness...
Could this be a safety issue?

I haven’t driven on freeway since updating to 2017.42 or seen the Air Suspension error message:

When this happens, the suspension does not readjust itself and stays in standard mode. So, yes it actually changes the mechanics of the suspension. Not a safety issue unless you notice one wheel higher or lower than the other wheels.

Btw - my air suspension message cleared itself after the car was parked for few hours.

I chatted with Tesla support today. They said it is a software issue related to 17.42, not a hardware issue & they are hoping to roll out a update “soon”. They also said the vehicle is safe to drive. We had no issues driving our X home last night after the warning, but it did seem to be a bit harsher ride.

Note that there have been cases of larger issues such as Steering Assist shutdown (like I had). I’ve not seen other cases of this, so, may have been a one off. And it came about when starting the car (meaning, getting ready to drive, not rebooting or while in motion or anything dangerous). The fix was to power off and on, but as I’ve mentioned before, be sure to have a remote app ready to wake it up, as the brake pedal method did NOT work.

From what I heard, the patch for this should be real soon, as they are aware of all these issues and are working over the weekend to get the next release out.

If this was a one time occurrence, it'd be easy to say - Tesla missed something - and they'll fix it - and the next release will be "silky smooth".

However, this has been happening with releases for 5 years.

When development is completed on a release, Tesla should be doing some internal testing.

Then they are likely sending it to their small group of hand-picked beta testers to bang on it.

And when they think it's OK, they start dribbling it out to cars in a seemingly random order.

And when they (inevitably) find a serious problem in the release, they suspend the release process and start over.

And they've been doing this for 5 years - and we still see obvious (and sometimes serious) problems slip through their testing and get into the "official" release.

What's sad, is that it is possible to do much better - without sacrificing quick time-to-market.

Two simple changes could help considerably:
  1. Allow owners to opt in or opt out of participating in Tesla's beta testing. With an increasing number of configurations, language, and owner expertise, allowing more eyeballs on the new software, while it is still in testing, may not guarantee better released code, but at least should increase the probability that most of these obvious problems would be detected before release.
  2. Add a "rollback" software option. While it's impractical to test rolling back to any arbitrary release, Tesla could support rolling back to a the most recent "stable" release - which is something that they should be able to test easily internally - and have beta testers verify as part of their commitment to participate in the beta testing program. With this ability - if a major bug did get into the released code - we wouldn't have to wait for Tesla to distribute a bug fix release, owners could rollback to a stable version, and continue using that until Tesla has a new update to install.
Additional changes that would be very useful:
  • Provide release notes on the console display BEFORE an update is installed.
  • Include in the release notes more details on what has changed, along with the major known bugs that haven't yet been addressed or aspects of the software that are not yet verified to be fully operational (which would be very useful for those trying to use AP2 - and having to guess after each release as to what is or isn't supposed to be working!).
  • When every new release is available, provide an announcement to owners via e-mail about availability of the release and also a link to the release notes.
  • And, provide owners the ability to determine if a release is available - and initiate it themselves or defer installation, without having to rely on the seemingly random distribution process Tesla has been using.
If Tesla really does sell 500,000 Model 3s per year - do we really think the software release strategy Tesla has been using is going to be acceptable, especially as Tesla moves beyond the more forgiving early adopters...

+1 @bob_p ...

Tesla needs to step up its game regarding providing its fleet of captive beta testers some idea of what is happening BEFORE these issues become points of frustration. I knew what I was getting into, in general, with updates, possible glitches, being a guinea pig, etc., and I still purchased the car. But, it would be great if Tesla respected that sacrifice by current owners by keeping them in the loop - informing us prior to the uploads with what we are supposed to get, and what we might expect if there are issues. This would be similar to the warnings on prescription drugs - since most folks will still take them despite the possible side effects, armed with that knowledge in case something does happen, in the hopes that the original purpose is fulfilled.

Of course, this is still my primary gripe with Tesla, and has been since day 1 - very poor communication with existing customers, and no signs they are interested in initiating any change to that policy any time soon.

Reactions: croman
Note that there have been cases of larger issues such as Steering Assist shutdown (like I had). I’ve not seen other cases of this, so, may have been a one off. And it came about when starting the car (meaning, getting ready to drive, not rebooting or while in motion or anything dangerous). The fix was to power off and on, but as I’ve mentioned before, be sure to have a remote app ready to wake it up, as the brake pedal method did NOT work.

From what I heard, the patch for this should be real soon, as they are aware of all these issues and are working over the weekend to get the next release out.

There are other people with similar issues to you here boaterva. So, when should I start thinking I've got a lemon?

2017.40 kind of broke my homelink. My driveway is at 30 degree incline so my homelink doesn't always open the garage on the first try so I have to manually push a few times before it works. Now when I push the soft button nothing happens so I end up using my phone app to open the garage.

As to this is a general problem since Day 1, I can’t answer. But I think we may have to say that AP2.5 cars are ‘starting over’ more than perhaps we thought.

When software for them has issues with Steering Assist, SAS, and in my case about two weeks ago, bricked the car (no Steering Assist, no Parking Sensor, Air Bag warning, other things were out) so Tesla had to analyze it for a week, that points to larger changes than we thought from a CPU/AP board swap.

That major “rare” was supposedly fixed quickly in 17.42. These last issues were caused by 17.42. :confused:

There are other people with similar issues to you here boaterva. So, when should I start thinking I've got a lemon?
A good question for the legal beagles is how do lemon laws apply to the digital aspects of a Tesla? It’s one thing (and relatively clear) to say they had four tries at fixing my FWDs. But something that is solely under the control of software, that’s a larger nut to crack. What’s a ‘repair’ and what’s an ‘attempt’?

Apply all that to say Auto High Beam or TACC or (lol) Homelink or...

Last edited:
Two simple changes could help considerably:
Add a "rollback" software option.

Now this is introducing a glaring security hole right away.
Even limiting to just one major release going back significantly extends the exploitability of security bugs.

Additional changes that would be very useful:
Include in the release notes more details on what has changed, along with the major known bugs that haven't yet been addressed or aspects of the software that are not yet verified to be fully operational (which would be very useful for those trying to use AP2 - and having to guess after each release as to what is or isn't supposed to be working!).

Good luck with that. It appears that the release notes are intentionally terse to keep the magic working.
As they say: Once you know how the sausage is made, you don't really want to eat it anymore. ;)

I am on 2017.42 and have not seen the message about Air Suspension. And have not had the home link issue in some time. Regarding AutoPilot. It worked very well today on .42. I am not gong to compare to my prior releases since I do not drive enough to really know. But I drove about 50 miles in Southern California starting at the 210 to the 605 to the 91 to the 110 to 405 and it worked very well. Most of the way on the 210, 605 and 91 were on AutoPilot using 80mph TACC. I had one issue where the traffic slowed from 80 to about 55 and I was not comfortable with how fast I was slowing down so I took over. Maybe it would have been fine. Also, on one of the auto lane changes it aborted half way thru. I am thinking is was because of a car "two" lanes over approaching rapidly and I was chasing into the lane next to it. It wasn't that I was driving slow it was that the car in the car pool lane was driving really fast.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
Just did a more thorough road test with 2017.42. Freeways...putting air suspension through the paces. Manually raising & lowering...
Monitoring it transitioning to high & then to standard automatically at higher speeds.
Just pulled into the parking lot of the Peet’s Coffee that I frequent and it flawlessly transioned to very high automatically as programmed to avoid scraping underside of front end on high curbs. No error messages. I would have thought it was a trouble free update had I not read about the suspension issue on this forum. I have an AP2 2017 90D Model S.
I wonder if all the suspension issues are with X’s
Anybody have the suspension issue on an AP2 Model S?

• Informative
Reactions: cantbechanged
Just did a more thorough road test with 2017.42. Freeways...putting air suspension through the paces. Manually raising & lowering...
Monitoring it transitioning to high & then to standard automatically at higher speeds.
Just pulled into the parking lot of the Peet’s Coffee that I frequent and it flawlessly transioned to very high automatically as programmed to avoid scraping underside of front end on high curbs. No error messages. I would have thought it was a trouble free update had I not read about the suspension issue on this forum. I have an AP2 2017 90D Model S.
I wonder if all the suspension issues are with X’s
Anybody have the suspension issue on an AP2 Model S?
Post 66 is an S. But it may be all the issues are with AP2.5 cars, not the previous 2.0 ones.

Anyone with errors on 2.0 hardware (built before August 21?). I’m assuming my earlier problems (that 17.42 was supposed to be sure never happened again to me and others, as described in my thread and in the Lemon thread) and these issues here are all from interactions with the new 2.5 hardware. Like ‘looking for hardware that is no longer there”.