Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on 2017.34 for a very long time.

Looking at firmware.teslafi.com - I think your system has a stuck update and will require a call or the service center to catch it back up.

I'm going to stay on 34 for a while :) So you may want to wait for the current mess to be resolved before asking. You might be in the best possible situation!
What's strange is that the hardware inside a Tesla is a known quantity - i.e Tesla put it all there. Unlike Microsoft, who have to deal with hardware configurations they had no hand in building (and maybe aren't even aware of). I would like to think that Tesla has a garage somewhere with at least one Tesla of every configuration and hardware revision possible, with which they test all the firmware on simultaneously before release. However, I doubt it.

On a side note; don't rush to update past 17.36 - I'm surprised to see regression still, even at this stage... but 17.40 does scary things for me on roads that 17.36 was completely fine and reliable on.

Hey, sorry to hear about your update drama...I'm like you...very "in tune" with my car's behavior... I have 17.36, and only have issues with homelink...getting my L upgrade installed this week...what's going on 17.40?? Is there something I should know??

They certainly are!
Autopilot simulation!

J/K. I think simulation is extremely important and will be more so in the future
I totally agree that simulation is extremely useful and important and can shorten development and testing cycles considerable, but it can't be your only or final testing methodology for software that has to function in the REAL world....

I bet the current EAP sw performed beautifully in simulation but their real life performance still tests a lot of driver's reflexes :eek:

Reactions: ChrML
Has anyone noticed if the first bluetooth phone call being muted and then the streaming music being muted after a bluetooth phone call issues were resolved? These issues appeared in 17.36 Firmware Issues? 2017.36 1b27c6d
I had the same issue using phone nav (Google Maps) since I use (have to use) their "connect as a phone call" option, and I've not noticed that as an issue on 17.40.1 and 17.42. I definitely think it was fixed in there.

Reactions: JohnnyG
These version releases are getting ridiculous! Since I got my car just a month ago, I've received FIVE updates! I don't know why I'm getting all these updates when there are others still on .34 or something, but so many releases cannot be good, especially when it's not actually rolled out to the masses in most cases....

Be happy.... I owned my old Ford Fusion for 4 years and only received 1 update!

Reactions: Turing
A couple of points...

First, all software has bugs - developers work on different pieces of the software - some of the bugs are in the piece they are working on - and some of the bugs arise when components are integrated together in a release. That's why organizations that produce high quality software (at this point, that means almost anyone other than Tesla) use a combination of automated testing, internal beta testing and external beta testing (usually with some methodology to ensure all components are tested before release). And even when under severe schedule pressure, the QA and development groups will generally try to avoid shipping any software with obvious bugs.

Since we are still seeing obvious bugs and design flaws - 5 years after the Model S went into production, Tesla's development process is broken - and needs to be fixed.

Second, the fault lies primarily with Tesla management. None of the companies I've worked for (where I was responsible for major systems) would have accepted even one of the releases Tesla has made with so many bugs. It's incomprehensible that upper management would continue to accept this - especially when the software is being used in a car - and distractions caused by buggy software could risk safety.

Third, while Tesla may have had every configuration in-house for testing early on - that is no longer practical. Not only has Tesla been introducing new configuration changes on both the S & X throughout the year - over the last 5 years, they've also introduced right-hand driving, plus they have language variations for every country. Even though Tesla controls the hardware, the number of potential configurations has already grown far beyond what Tesla can test - even with simulators.

Which is why Tesla should open the beta program - and let all owners opt in or opt out (and if they do that - the "roll back to previous release" would be very helpful when encountering an unusable beta release!).

This isn't "rocket science" - methodologies for developing high quality software, on aggressive schedules is well known - and ultimately it is the upper management's responsibility when these failures continue to happen.

I keep hoping to see improvement - and waiting...

Finally got this one but already knew it didn’t fix Homelink. But thrilled to hear the one change vs the build downloaded about a week ago: the mirrors will stay retracted, if desired, below 30 mph. Seriously. Should be helpful if I ship my car to England and need to navigate a 1000 year old country lane or if I ever buy a home in San Francisco with a shed masquerading as a garage.

Sounds like it’s time to reassign some engineers to Model 3. But before doing that, fix Homelink — and then stop messing with it!!:)

Last edited: