Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Loaded the FSD Beta..... Wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays! Which ever works for you. I just enabled FSD in Beta and all I can say is WOW! It's going to have its issues but I like where its going. I live in a community that is still under construction. It navigated through the trucks, dumpsters and various objects quite well. Got out of the community gate without incident and navigated to the location I put in about 5 miles down the road. I must admit it is a little scary but I do like what's happening here. Good luck and keep your eyes on the road! I certainly am.....

Good question. I would like to know too. I was thinking the driving score takes a few weeks to calculate and if you are in 100 or 99, you get it in the next update. And that could take months for me, if I screw up the safety score.

Congrats. I got fsd but I need mcu2. Still on mcu1. After the holidays I may upgrade to get beta. Two weeks of granny driving huh. Worried about the area I live in when it comes to safety score. A lot of narrow streets with parked cars. So a lot of people tend to ride in the middle a little of the street more here which strattles the line at times. Was it hard to keep a high safety score.

Reactions: Patsan
Drive on FSD as much as possible (even on short grocery runs) to reduce your chance of getting dinged. Remember safety scores are affected by driving actions that are 100% under your control and not what the FSD autopilot does on its own.

Reactions: Patsan
I wouldn't go so far as granny driving, but I was a lot more mindful and used FSD a lot, yes even for short shopping runs.
I will say yesterday on my way to the grocery store, there was a lot of cones and redirected traffic. It actually got lost and I had to take over. Well, that's Beta for you!

there was a lot of cones and redirected traffic.
This insanity of trying to measure the efficacy of a new capability that the world has not hitherto seen - the world did not even think was even possible until 3 or 4 years ago - against the worst possible scenario (lots of cones, construction, redirected traffic, detours) where even for a human that has evolved to perfection over a million years will find it difficult to maneuver, is unbelievable.

I see this over and over again: if FSD cannot handle today that particular unprotected left with 6 lanes of 50 mph traffic then it is a failure. If FSD cannot handle today that one complex downtown street with confusing lane markers and pillars in the middle of the road, it is a failure. We need to change our expectations and outlook.

Reactions: 82bert and X-pilot
This insanity of trying to measure the efficacy of a new capability that the world has not hitherto seen - the world did not even think was even possible until 3 or 4 years ago - against the worst possible scenario (lots of cones, construction, redirected traffic, detours) where even for a human that has evolved to perfection over a million years will find it difficult to maneuver, is unbelievable.

I see this over and over again: if FSD cannot handle today that particular unprotected left with 6 lanes of 50 mph traffic then it is a failure. If FSD cannot handle today that one complex downtown street with confusing lane markers and pillars in the middle of the road, it is a failure. We need to change our expectations and outlook.
Didn't think it was possible only 3-4 years ago???? Where did you get that from? It's been known it will be possible decades ago...it was just waiting for portable computing power and visual hardware to realize it...that is now happening. With ever improving algorithms FSD will get better and better. I think it is great!

Reactions: X-pilot
Drive on FSD as much as possible (even on short grocery runs) to reduce your chance of getting dinged. Remember safety scores are affected by driving actions that are 100% under your control and not what the FSD autopilot does on its own.
That cuts both ways. You are scored only on the time when you are driving without AP. So if you drive 100 miles and hit the brakes once, you probably won't get too bad a score for aggressive braking. But if you drive 1 mile and hit the brakes once, then let AP drive 99 more miles, your aggressive braking percentage will be much higher and your score much lower. The score will be based on one mile, but it will still be weighted by 100 miles in your safety score.

OK, I just got FSD beta and one thing I was unpleasantly surprised about is that I still have to twitch the steering wheel every 15 seconds or so...thought FSD would get rid of that annoying AP feature...I think attaining a 98 or above on safety score is really tough to achieve...you have to keep so much between you and car in front of you people constantly cut into your lane getting to close to you and you're natural instinct is to brake and then you get penalized for 2 things at once...and virtually all of the forward collision warnings are not phantom, but somewhere between phantom and reality...many times when that went off I wasn't anywhere close to the car in front of me but you cant be on accelerator even if your like 7-8 cars lengths behind.

Reactions: petredge
OK, I just got FSD beta and one thing I was unpleasantly surprised about is that I still have to twitch the steering wheel every 15 seconds or so...thought FSD would get rid of that annoying AP feature...I think attaining a 98 or above on safety score is really tough to achieve...you have to keep so much between you and car in front of you people constantly cut into your lane getting to close to you and you're natural instinct is to brake and then you get penalized for 2 things at once...and virtually all of the forward collision warnings are not phantom, but somewhere between phantom and reality...many times when that went off I wasn't anywhere close to the car in front of me but you cant be on accelerator even if your like 7-8 cars lengths behind.
I thought scrolling one of the small wheels on the steering wheel is good enough. That is what I do to keep AP happy. I rarely have to twitch the steering wheel.

a couple of tips and tricks for using FSD beta. I have found that keeping my left hand (I have a 2017 MS) on the AP stalk ( left side) . and do the " pull back" is good for going through green lights and handling nags a simple pull is easier than the scroll wheel ( just don't do it 5 times in a row or it is more COW bell !and rainbow road! :)) . that way the car can drive fine and you wont accidently pull it out of FSD with too heavy a hand on the steering wheel.

I also noticed the car speed needs to be " reduced" for some right turns or pulling into a short turn lane so having your hand right there to notch it down a bit helps FSD be a bit more smooth in transition. also if the car is pulling into a wrong lane and you need to pop it out of FSD having your hand there on the AP stalk is more definitive than say hitting the brakes in a middle of a turn . a

also if you need todo the reverse and speed it up a little ( for left turns when it gets tentative) a little push on the accelerator , straightens out its uncertainty a bit) ...HAPPY FSD'ing ( is that a word?)