Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just offered Highland Test Drive, end Jan.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a call to chase the emails Iā€™d had offering a test drive.

I just said I wasnā€™t interested as it doesnā€™t have stalks. I hope others do the same and that gets fed back.
I said the same when they called me a a couple of weeks ago. Not interested. I sat in it in the showroom and its lacklustre. Nothing special at all, in fact it looks like a downgrade to me. I love the external changes, but inside its meh.

Reactions: Zilla91
I said the same when they called me a a couple of weeks ago. Not interested. I sat in it in the showroom and its lacklustre. Nothing special at all, in fact it looks like a downgrade to me. I love the external changes, but inside its meh.
Different strokes I guess. I feel like the dash wraparound to the doors is much more cohesive now, whereas on all of the ones previously although there is continuity between the dash and the door cards, it isnā€˜t really cohesive.

Coming from a 2020 MIA car, everything felt really solid. Hard to say how much more solid than e.g. a later MIC car, a 72 plate M3P felt a bit more ā€œchunkyā€ (?) than my car. There is a suitable thunk now on door closing which has been a glaring omission for the longest time.

On my test drive the things Iā€™ll be most interested in checking - in order of importance:
  1. Just how bad the indicators are (trying to approach with an open mind, but difficult)

2. How much the road noise is reduced, driving the same roads at the same times as my M3P. Hoping thereā€™s not too big a gap between getting out of my car and into the Highland and out on the road, so its fresh in my mind.

3. How good the sound system is - hoping to drive a LR as I understand there is a significant difference.

Reactions: Leejmoff
Where do you get this from?

Back in December we were offered a test drive of a M3 at the Bournemouth showroom but told car had no insurance cover. I declined test drive, and just had a drive in car park (the Bournemouth site is quite large and former Porsche dealership). This was not qualified with the excess you have seen. I saw no written T&C's so maybe just loose talk by Tesla guy.

Well, test drive complete. Both me and the wife had a short drive. Was a quick one as they had appointments booked end to end all day!
First junction wife approached she instinctively went for the stalks but soon got use to it. Going around roundabouts wasnā€™t a problem as unless theyā€™re really small I guess (I.e. mini roundabout) then your hands donā€™t move too far from the middle anyway. Managed to figure it out. Didnā€™t kill anybody or get taken out.. I targeted a quite a few to purposefully test it out, and you know what? It was okay. For me it wouldnā€™t be a deal breaker. Yes itā€™s not ā€˜normalā€™ and yes you have to adapt and learn. Iā€™d rather have stalks 100% but Iā€™d get over it. If you couldnā€™t, choose differently.
It was only a standard range but still had some poke and the car stereo sounded pretty near to mine although a fraction less dynamic. Perfectly livable. If I was given one or that was all I could afford Iā€™d happily take it for Ā£10k less than the LR. It is not a poor personā€™s replacement. I assume the LR would be better on both counts which would be the one Iā€™d get again if and when the time comes.
Was notably quieter and more solid. Suspension differences notable and sounded more contained. All Iā€™d say would be try it for yourselves. For me was a smoother quieter ride with better sound insulation. Inside was nice and wouldnā€™t need a wrapped dash like my current wooden one that I changed on day 1. Light bar inside a gimmick. Canā€™t say I noticed it after we set off. Iā€™m sure you would on night driving though.
Overall Iā€™d swap if I could but as I said to the sales kid my M3 is less than 2 years old so in massive negative equity. End of story. Iā€™ll come back in 2 years and see what the market has to offer then?
As for the S Plaidā€¦ how ridiculous was this monster. You hit 3 figures without even noticing. Itā€™s a loaded weapon. Tesla have to sit in on a test drive and driving left hand side took some adjustment as car was bumping along the white lines with my dodgy road positioning to start with. Didnā€™t get to launch it sadly as I took the wrong route but was fun all the same. Although similar controls the haptic indicator buttons on the new M3 are much better than in the S which donā€™t give any feedback. Plus Iā€™m converted to the single display. For me, it was harder getting used to the driver display in the S than it was figuring out the new indicator buttons on the M3. Itā€™s all what youā€™re used to.
Overall, like anything new there is a learning curve. Iā€™ve driven 3 different hire cars in the past 3 weeks in Ireland, all with different functions which needed familiarisation.
Was a fun morning but nice to get back in my own car with its stalks and USSšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ (controversial!!)

Reactions: Oxid8ter
Test drove the Highland SR with 18s today. For reference I have a 2020 LR 19s.
The most noticeable difference was road noise, it's improved maybe 20% in my unscientific opinion.
I didn't notice much difference in terms of road comfort.
My main irk - the steering felt sloppy, laggy, unresponsive, regardless of steering setting. The rep was surprised to hear this so gave it a quick spin himself and agreed, there was a difference. His words were "It felt like driving an eighteen wheeler". I can only think it is the new suspension? That you can't have tight steering on a more bouncy car, but I don't know enough about cars to say for sure.
The light bar has shiny light grey plastic all the way along that gives an ever-present reflection in the windscreen, very annoying.
No stalks was ok but I didn't enjoy the gear change being on screen, much prefer physical for that.

Overall it wasn't as impressive as expected and I'm sceptical of everyone saying improved build quality, how do you know? Have you driven 90k and knocked things around or just been impressed that the doors are more "thunky"?

I had a test drive today, coming from a MIA 2020 model 3 was impressed with the build quality, as was my two passengers. Regarding the indicators, only issue I have is when I went to move my thumb to press the left hand wheel without taking the hand of the steering wheel (pause music, change radio etc), i kept also pressing the left indicator button. Might just be my fat thumbs or how I naturally hold the steering wheel (4 and 8 oā€™clock position), but it must of been annoying for the person following me in slow traffic.

My main irk - the steering felt sloppy, laggy, unresponsive, regardless of steering setting. The rep was surprised to hear this so gave it a quick spin himself and agreed, there was a difference. His words were "It felt like driving an eighteen wheeler". I can only think it is the new suspension? That you can't have tight steering on a more bouncy car, but I don't know enough about cars to say for sure.
Update - So there is a difference in the steering, as this article explains -
With the 2024 Model 3 Highland, however, engineers slowed down the steering across the range, meaning a driver needs to input more steering than before to make the same turn. Tesla wouldn't share the slowest and quickest ratios for the old and new car, but it did reveal that the "overall" ratio increased from 10.3:1 to 10.6:1. The goals with these changes are more linear steering response and better predictability and stability, particularly at higher speeds.
I knew it straight away. Feels like hot garbage if you like a sporty, responsive vehicle. No possibility of adjustment either. Huge deal breaker for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel