Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just called me to say they will have Highland in next week.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance they'll go back on the non-stalks to be honest. The whole (new) range is the same.

it is interesting that they still sell cars with USS in Australia. I presume Highland will come with them as well there. This is because - as I understand it - regulations there require a certain degree of accuracy for parking sensors, which Tesla Vision can't provide.

Let’s not forget that USS have been gone almost a year with Teslavision “coming soon”.
There has been no real improvement and USS remains the better kit.
I firmly believe that TV just isn’t going to cut it.
Quite what Tesla will end up doing is anyone’s guess but if people put up with it, they will just keep selling.
It will likely go the way of FSD in the UK

Attachments

• IMG_5851.jpg
    IMG_5851.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 19
I for one could be tempted back into a Model S if it was RHD (the main issue) but stalks would also cause me to hesitate.
Are people really that indifferent about the lack of USS?

I find it bizarre, I really couldn’t buy another Tesla even if they did reintroduce stalks.

I can forgive the other oddities with them but those two things are red lines for me.

I find it bizarre, I really couldn’t buy another Tesla even if they did reintroduce stalks.

I can forgive the other oddities with them but those two things are red lines for me.
It’s funny, lack of USS doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve just handed back a sh1tty Kia Nero hybrid rental car that had no park distance indication at all. I missed a lot of things on that car (like enough power to go up hills), but never missed the parking sensors.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Not everyone is the same as you and we all learnt to drive the proper way using mirror, signal, manoeuvre.
I learnt to drive more recently than most here I'm sure and distinctly remember being taught to reverse into parking spaces when possible because it's safer and you have better control. Plus for bay parking you want to have your full forwards visibility when exiting the spot instead. I flick between looking at the mirrors and screen in my Model 3 and find it works very well. I haven't scraped my alloys in >3 years of driving it (jinxed it now), haven't bumped into anything either. My car does have USS but I don't rely on that at all.

Reactions: spdpsba and Tonyf
It’s funny, lack of USS doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve just handed back a sh1tty Kia Nero hybrid rental car that had no park distance indication at all. I missed a lot of things on that car (like enough power to go up hills), but never missed the parking sensors.
Sure, but that is a much smaller car so less of an issue. I’d be less bothered too if it was a small car, such as my old Corsa and Astra that had no sensors.
It doesn’t bother me at all if you know what I mean :)
I know it doesn’t. You’d be defending Tesla if they removed all the passenger seats so I’d take anything you say with a pinch of salt 😉
I learnt to drive more recently than most here I'm sure and distinctly remember being taught to reverse into parking spaces when possible because it's safer and you have better control. Plus for bay parking you want to have your full forwards visibility when exiting the spot instead. I flick between looking at the mirrors and screen in my Model 3 and find it works very well. I haven't scraped my alloys in >3 years of driving it (jinxed it now), haven't bumped into anything either. My car does have USS but I don't rely on that at all.
We were all taught to park that way but then life happens and sometimes you need to park facing forward for all kinds of reasons (such as getting a pushchair out of the boot)

Probably them as well.

Individually it feels a bit petty to not consider a car because of one thing, but collectively they add up. Having spent yesterday driving to wales in intermittent rain the wipers really started to annoy me and I had to turn the headlights on manually because they didn’t come on when I thought they should. If it hadn’t rained and was a touch brighter it would have been a great drive.

We were all taught to park that way but then life happens and sometimes you need to park facing forward for all kinds of reasons (such as getting a pushchair out of the boot)

Yes, that's where the "when possible" comes in. I don't find USS all that helpful when parking forwards in a bay either, the Model 3 has really good forwards visibility in my view perhaps due to the "low" dashboard. But there are definitely blind spots and some awkward bays with objects you wouldn't be able to see where USS or a proper replacement could be useful.

Reactions: Zilla91
Probably them as well.

Individually it feels a bit petty to not consider a car because of one thing, but collectively they add up. Having spent yesterday driving to wales in intermittent rain the wipers really started to annoy me and I had to turn the headlights on manually because they didn’t come on when I thought they should. If it hadn’t rained and was a touch brighter it would have been a great drive.
I haven’t had much cause to complain about my wipers. Up to now they’ve been ok. Thursday night I had to go out and it was raining fairly hard. On the unlit roads they wiped too infrequently and on lit roads went flat out once the rain eased. AHB was no better than 6 months ago.
Multiple cameras blocked and blinded all the way. I guess they can’t see the rain!

i'll wait until I can test drive it.

I was recently at a service center and took a test drive of the Model X. I'm not at all interested in the Model X, but it serves as an opportunity to see what the stalkless driving experience is like.

If you're considering a Highland purchase and have already driven a Model 3, perhaps test driving a stalkless S/X (with a round wheel) is enough for you to make your Highland determination.

It’s not indicating when the car is going straight that’s so much the issue, it’s indicating when the wheel is turned hugely that you’ve lost track of where the indicator is exactly.

There's another issue that (for me at least) was significant. The turn signal buttons are just inside the wheel at about 9 o' clock, and that's exactly where my left hand sits. In my 15 minute test drive of the Model X, I falsely triggered a turn signal about 5 times with my palm. It's not for me. Gear selection on the screen was not *too* bad, but still not as quick as using a stalk.

Individually it feels a bit petty to not consider a car because of one thing, but collectively they add up.

This is exactly it.

My Model 3 has USS and stalks. My only real complaint is the wipers. Tesla's auto wipers are mediocre at best. This wouldn't be so bad if the manual wipers were good, but they're just not. I wish they would release a software update to improve them (many more speeds and the ability to adjust speed with a scroll wheel while the wiper card is up).

That said, the car is such a lovely ride otherwise that it more than makes up for the mediocre wipers. I mean the wipers *DO* work, they just take more attention than they really should.

Take away USS, strike one. Take away the stalks, strike three.

With such a nice vehicle, Tesla is just giving too many reasons to not like it. Some people might say these things are no big deal, but they're objectively worse... and they keep piling up.

In my opinion, a real rain sensor, stalks, and USS are far more valuable than a rear screen. I mean, most of the time people drive alone. Why remove important features from the driver to pay for an unimportant feature for a non-existent passenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.