Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a friend, who feels the auto park feature is important, request to delay delivery until the feature is available. They canceled his order and kept his deposit. I consoled him by letting him know the feature doesn’t work on either of my Teslas which have USS. Auto park and summon have never worked well enough to actually use, unless you have a lot of spare time to wait while the car takes forever to do a terrible job. When I park in my garage, the display shows a garbage can on top of my hood, when it is more than a foot away - so why would I trust it to avoid hitting nearby objects? The only thing that Tesla has proven over the years is that they make big promises and fail to deliver. No one will ever have such a great farting game machine, but there will be plenty of other EV’s to choose from in the near future.

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
Seems the golden rule is Read what you’re signing or agreeing to. They Tried to be transparent and you opted to pass.
Transparency is telling people, no one ever told me anything. They only said have you filled out your paperwork, to me that meant taking possession of the car, not that I was signing something that said I had less features than before. The car I test drove was a 22. And now they have slashed prices so that it will be difficult for me to resell the vehicle.

Transparency is telling people, no one ever told me anything. They only said have you filled out your paperwork, to me that meant taking possession of the car, not that I was signing something that said I had less features than before. The car I test drove was a 22. And now they have slashed prices so that it will be difficult for me to resell the vehicle.
So your excuse is they failed to hold your hand and Read it to you? Lol. Again, do you often blindly sign financial papers for high value transaction? Strongly suggest Not buying a house!

Reactions: alex77 and Mosun
Although you're likely correct, as consumers, we have to draw the line somewhere. It's fine to be beta testers but that requires transparency and pricing that reflects said beta experience. Packaging something as full fledge production and asking for premium $ is the only thing that I think needs to be corrected in the industry, not just Tesla.

The only way to "draw a line" as consumers is not to buy. Only buy a vehicle when it has the features you want at the time of delivery. Anything else is a gamble.

Reactions: alex77 and Bob2C
What concerns me most about lack of USS is there hasn't been any leaked video of the tech working via camera. I've seen some kind of birds eye view on fsd but nothing that replicates USS. I'm a newbie to Tesla so that might be completely normal.

The only way to "draw a line" as consumers is not to buy. Only buy a vehicle when it has the features you want at the time of delivery. Anything else is a gamble.
Is that really practical? Performing a full inspection of the car before acceptance?
So, every customer must receive the full spec of the car (and I mean everything, not just USS because god knows what else has changed), hire a specialized shop to go line by line, analyze what a particular change does, explain it to a lame person, who has to make a decision?
Another option is for Tesla to capture the specs of the car you test drive (assuming that you really tested what you test drove - have you tried parallel parking in inclement conditions?) and give you a diff that you (again) analyze with an expert.
The more acceptable option is for Tesla to highlight the important changes, their impact and draw your attention to it in a way that a lame person would understand.
The time of Tesla being bought by engineers and enthusiasts (i.e. early adopters), who scrutinize and understand details, is long gone. Tesla must either adapt to that wider customer base (it seems they like it) or shrink back to a niche manufacturer.

Is that really practical? Performing a full inspection of the car before acceptance?
So, every customer must receive the full spec of the car (and I mean everything, not just USS because god knows what else has changed), hire a specialized shop to go line by line, analyze what a particular change does, explain it to a lame person, who has to make a decision?
Another option is for Tesla to capture the specs of the car you test drive (assuming that you really tested what you test drove - have you tried parallel parking in inclement conditions?) and give you a diff that you (again) analyze with an expert.
The more acceptable option is for Tesla to highlight the important changes, their impact and draw your attention to it in a way that a lame person would understand.
The time of Tesla being bought by engineers and enthusiasts (i.e. early adopters), who scrutinize and understand details, is long gone. Tesla must either adapt to that wider customer base (it seems they like it) or shrink back to a niche manufacturer.

What are you even talking about right now? I simply said I wouldn't buy a car without the features I want working at the time I take delivery. So if parking assistance were important to me I would not buy a no USS car on the hope that their Vision solution will be worth a crap and be implemented soon.

What are you even talking about right now? I simply said I wouldn't buy a car without the features I want working at the time I take delivery. So if parking assistance were important to me I would not buy a no USS car on the hope that their Vision solution will be worth a crap and be implemented soon.
That's short sighted. Why even mention Tesla at all? That's what they do evolve over very short periods. Yanking USS for Vision, dumping radar for Vision, eventually moving that all to AI. Yet Tesla did all that to prep for the move to Neural Nets and its happening right now. You would be the loser by missing all that just cuz you are stuck on USS. These threads are knee jerk reactions w/o long term thinking. When the Y first came out it didn't have the single piece casting in the rear, ya know. That came towards the end of 2020. The Ryzen MCU late 2021. This is what progress looks like on a Tesla and it is not gonna change. This is what they are and what they do.

USS sucks anyways, it's a dumb sensor, can't tell the difference between some very common objects, thus ppl still run into *sugar*.

That's short sighted. Why even mention Tesla at all? That's what they do evolve over very short periods. Yanking USS for Vision, dumping radar for Vision, eventually moving that all to AI. Yet Tesla did all that to prep for the move to Neural Nets and its happening right now. You would be the loser by missing all that just cuz you are stuck on USS. These threads are knee jerk reactions w/o long term thinking. When the Y first came out it didn't have the single piece casting in the rear, ya know. That came towards the end of 2020. The Ryzen MCU late 2021. This is what progress looks like on a Tesla and it is not gonna change. This is what they are and what they do.

USS sucks anyways, it's a dumb sensor, can't tell the difference between some very common objects, thus ppl still run into *sugar*.

I'm not stuck on USS. If I were then I would not buy until the replacement was in place. Pretty simple.

That's short sighted. Why even mention Tesla at all? That's what they do evolve over very short periods. Yanking USS for Vision, dumping radar for Vision, eventually moving that all to AI.
Yes, “eventually”. Given their track record of promising and not delivering, and not hitting milestones, god knows when that will happen, if ever. Throwing sophisticated terms like Neural Networks, Tesla Vision, Persistency, etc. mean nothing if they cannot deliver. And the sad truth is that, despite all this AI talk, the current $60k+ Tesla MY/M3 perform worse than $30k Honda in such mundane task like parking, and no one knows if/when that will be fixed.

Yes, “eventually”. Given their track record of promising and not delivering, and not hitting milestones, god knows when that will happen, if ever. Throwing sophisticated terms like Neural Networks, Tesla Vision, Persistency, etc. mean nothing if they cannot deliver. And the sad truth is that, despite all this AI talk, the current $60k+ Tesla MY/M3 perform worse than $30k Honda in such mundane task like parking, and no one knows if/when that will be fixed.
This

I think that something will eventually happen to replace it. In terms of when and what, that's true, nobody knows unless you are working on it for Tesla. Even then, they might scrap whatever it is that's planned for something else.

I mean, that's the gotcha with Tesla as a brand. They move fast. Make changes abruptly. It can be seen as good or bad but this is how the brand behaves with pretty much everything. We also tend to critic other brands that tend to move at a snail's pace but are consistent (Toyota Lexus). The good news is that there are options. Just right now, we as consume can't have a good middle ground just yet.

Reactions: Daekwan
I'm just as upset at the removal of the USS as the next person. When I'd placed my order 8 months ago, it had it then. But after reading your post, don't you think you're over-reacting a bit? Buyers' remorse? Not having those things you mentioned doesn't all of the sudden make you forget how to drive a car, does it? How did you drive before without any of those tech?
Dude I’d be pissed if those were taken off but luckily my Y had them on delivery, no idea about functionality of the USS in future though.

I mean my shitbox ICE has parking sensors front and back which help tremendously when I park in my garage which is tight. Without basic functionality like this, something as trivial as parking my Y would have becomes a stress which I could do without hence why OP probably feels the same.

I really hope those with USS retain the functionality and it doesn’t just become a redundant artefact on the car.

Even though there is a backup camera, when it is dark outside and possibly raining as well (which is often does on the west coast of Norway) then it is very hard to see clearly. The poor manual visibility out the back and corner back sides then makes everything really hard without USS.

Reactions: mylapore
No one seems to be reading the disclaimer they are agreeing to when they are assigned a VIN.

Your car comes fully equipped with Vision-based Autopilot, which, once your car is updated to the latest version of software (2022.40.4.1), works pretty darn well and doesn't rely on USS at all. The standard Autopilot suite comes with all active emergency safety features activated by default.

These include:
  • Lane Assist (Blind spot monitoring, in Tesla's interaction, relies on vision and not on the USS or rear facing radar like in other cars)
    • Lane departure avoidance
    • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
    • Automatic Blind spot Camera
  • Collision Avoidance Assist:
    • Forward Collision Warning
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
    • Multi-Collsion Braking
    • Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
All of these systems operate under Tesla vision only.

These are in addition to Tesla's long history of making some of the safest vehicles anyone can buy. I trust my family's safety with them so much I bought two.

Tesla removed the USS array from ALL Telsa vehicles in October of 2022. There are still some X/S being produced with them, but the majority of vehicles popping up now are USS-less.

The updates and limitations of the current system were announced via press release by Tesla. Just like I had to sign a disclaimer about my car being limited to the radar-less Vision only system back in 2021, there is a disclaimer about the lack of USS and the system's limitations when you were assigned a VIN.

Don't mean to come off as harsh, but these kinds of posts strike a chord with me. You just purchased one of the safest cars on the road. Period. To say there are no safety features is false and misinformed. If you don't want it cause it can't beep when you're not paying attention while backing up, cancel your order.
This is absolute rubbish.m and you do sound harsh and offensive.

There’s no way to square this other than it’s an absolute piss take. How you’re even defending it is nuts.

Even though there is a backup camera, when it is dark outside and possibly raining as well (which is often does on the west coast of Norway) then it is very hard to see clearly. The poor manual visibility out the back and corner back sides then makes everything really hard without USS.
I agree. Yesterday it was raining at night and it was hard to see backing out plus there are no USS to hear a beep. Its dangerous backing out at night in the rain with no sensors. I am scared about the winter and during a storm. Maybe I just wont drive but that is not feasible!

Status
Not open for further replies.