Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, the phone doesn't work well for me which I documented many times. I'm glad they made the fob - I just wish they charged for it. That's my main point. The card to my knowledge works all the time which is a "key". Why phone is not reliable is too many variables. Different firmware, hardware, software, middleware, patch levels, manufacturers, 3rd party licencors, endless potential for issues.
Yes, the card works all the time, but it is intended to be the backup, not the primary. The primary, as they intended, does not work well for many people, and even for people like me, where it has worked 100%, I would prefer a fob. I never wanted to use my phone as the key, but I didn't have a choice. I mean, technically, I could have not gotten the car, or I could "choose" to use the keycard instead of the phone, but for a hands-free way of getting into the car (like every other car on the market today), the phone-as-key was the only way I could get it.

Now I have the chance of getting the fob, and I'm taking it. I will un-pair my phone the second my fob is paired. It shouldn't matter if I've opened tickets with Tesla or not. I shouldn't have to demonstrate a problem. It's a usability problem (for me) even if it never failed for me. I should get it for free, like every future Model 3 owner will get.

Yes, the card works all the time, but it is intended to be the backup, not the primary. The primary, as they intended, does not work well for many people, and even for people like me, where it has worked 100%, I would prefer a fob. I never wanted to use my phone as the key, but I didn't have a choice. I mean, technically, I could have not gotten the car, or I could "choose" to use the keycard instead of the phone, but for a hands-free way of getting into the car (like every other car on the market today), the phone-as-key was the only way I could get it.

Now I have the chance of getting the fob, and I'm taking it. I will un-pair my phone the second my fob is paired. It shouldn't matter if I've opened tickets with Tesla or not. I shouldn't have to demonstrate a problem. It's a usability problem (for me) even if it never failed for me. I should get it for free, like every future Model 3 owner will get.
Using the phone as a key was one of the things that got me really excited about owning a Model 3. For me it's worked great and I love not having to carry something extra just to operate my car. I love leaving the house with only my phone and wallet.

I still want a key fob though. Not for the functionality, but mainly because I think it looks cool.

I hope there is a way to disable the key fob. We, pretty much exclusively, leave the key in our Ford vehicles and lock using the push button code. It would be VERY nice to be able to leave the physical key in the car for whatever case it may be wanted, yet have the ability to continue to use the phone as key used as deigned.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I
I hope there is a way to disable the key fob. We, pretty much exclusively, leave the key in our Ford vehicles and lock using the push button code. It would be VERY nice to be able to leave the physical key in the car for whatever case it may be wanted, yet have the ability to continue to use the phone as key used as deigned.
I don’t think that is officially supported. On the S and X I think there are areas where the fob isn’t read (trunk or frunk maybe?) but it is a game of trial and error.

The number one reason I retired 5 years ago was to get rid of the electronic leash I was required to have on me 24x7 and respond within 30 minutes regardless - even on vacation. So I don't ever carry my phone with me when I go places. FOB for me, even better if I can figure out way to keep my mailbox key attached to it like I do with my current Volt FOB. The only time I take it out of my pocket is to open the mailbox.

The number one reason I retired 5 years ago was to get rid of the electronic leash I was required to have on me 24x7 and respond within 30 minutes regardless - even on vacation. So I don't ever carry my phone with me when I go places. FOB for me, even better if I can figure out way to keep my mailbox key attached to it like I do with my current Volt FOB. The only time I take it out of my pocket is to open the mailbox.
The pouches that work with S/X fob should work for the 3 fob. They usually have hooks or rings on them so you can attach keys.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K

I am assuming using a Faraday pouch/bag would work.

Reactions: brkaus
What did you do for a living? I let everyone know at my job that as soon as I'm out of the office, I'm completely out. I don't respond to any work related communication when I'm off the clock.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Yes, if future owners get it for free, all of us earlier adopters should get it for free as well. Charging EVERYONE for the fobs as an option would have been what I recommended.

Everyone has their preferences which I understand, but the world is moving towards your phone replacing everything. Car keys, cash, credit cards, driver licenses, proof of insurance etc.

Once Model 3 is in China, the phone will replace all of the above.

All I know is that the cards will likely still function after a trip through the washing machine in my jeans. The FOBs probably wouldn't survive that...
I've put one fob through the laundry so far. It got water inside, but it survived. I had to dry it out and replace the battery. I ended up dipping my two fobs in plasti dip to make them waterproof. I highly recommend you do the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Yes, if future owners get it for free, all of us earlier adopters should get it for free as well. Charging EVERYONE for the fobs as an option would have been what I recommended.

Everyone has their preferences which I understand, but the world is moving towards your phone replacing everything. Car keys, cash, credit cards, driver licenses, proof of insurance etc.

Once Model 3 is in China, the phone will replace all of the above.
It would be nice not having to carry my wallet around. I welcome a world where I only need my phone. :)

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz

I would happily give up my wallet if I could. Unfortunately, my corporate cards can't be added into Apple Pay (and plenty of places still don't take contactless payment anyway), and there is no conceivable situation I can come up with where I'm going to voluntarily hand my unlocked phone to a cop, so unless the driver license and insurance can be brought up in a special "pulled-over" mode where you can't put the phone back into normal mode without entering a password, I'll be sticking with those being physical as well.