Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia EV6 GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kia EV6 GT will do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds plus new pics and other specs revealed

Another option besides the Mach-E and Model Y. Personally, it looks like a great overall package and something I would check out if I was in the market for an EV car in that class. I like it much better (from the limited release information at this point) than the Mach-E. If the 3.5s acceleration in the GT trim is real, the Performance Model Y will have a great competitor.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
800V charging. 10-80% in 18 minutes!

Another option besides the Mach-E and Model Y. Personally, it looks like a great overall package and something I would check out if I was in the market for an EV car in that class. I like it much better (from the limited release information at this point) than the Mach-E. If the 3.5s acceleration in the GT trim is real, the Performance Model Y will have a great competitor.

I love the vehicle to load option. Only 3.6 kW (I would have preferred 7.2 kW), but that‘s still more than any shipping Tesla. Of course, by the time they start selling their 20,000 unit allocation in the US, Tesla will have something like that with the Cybertruck, and hopefully other models.

No pricing yet, so hard to evaluate properly.

Yea, not sure what prices will be in the US. But,z one site notes the following prices in Spain, one of the first markets in Europe for the car.

In Spain, one of Kia EV6’s first markets, deliveries of the regular variant begins in September, with the top-end GT variant reaching customers between July and September, says Kia. The EV6 comes in base, GT-line, and GT trims, and prices start at €46,450 ($54,467.50), €55,050 ($64,551.91), and €65,750 ($77,098.78), respectively.

As a reference, the Model Y in Spain starts at:
€65,750 for LR Y - same as the EV6 GT top trim
€70,000 for Performance Y ($82,082)

So, cheaper than the Y for those in Spain. Or, a lot cheaper if one just wants a base model EV6.

Yea, not sure what prices will be in the US. But,z one site notes the following prices in Spain, one of the first markets in Europe for the car.

In Spain, one of Kia EV6’s first markets, deliveries of the regular variant begins in September, with the top-end GT variant reaching customers between July and September, says Kia. The EV6 comes in base, GT-line, and GT trims, and prices start at €46,450 ($54,467.50), €55,050 ($64,551.91), and €65,750 ($77,098.78), respectively.

As a reference, the Model Y in Spain starts at:
€65,750 for LR Y - same as the EV6 GT top trim
€70,000 for Performance Y ($82,082)

So, cheaper than the Y for those in Spain. Or, a lot cheaper if one just wants a base model EV6.

Hmmm. Since Kia needs to import into the US as well, so one wonders what the price relative to the domestic Model Y will be. Of course, you have a $7,500 advantage for Kia as well right off the bat. Good thing they are only selling 20,000 of them in the US.

I like the look of this one! Reading the article linked also is interesting. They dont give range estimates for the GT version (which would be the one I would consider), but I would expect it to be somewhere in the 240-250 range EPA, based on what the trims that they DID state range were.

The longest one of those was 316 WLTP, which would likely be something like 280ish (?) EPA just throwing a number at the wall.

So, the EPA rated range is going to be lower than tesla,s but everyone's is. This one I find attractive, unlike the Mach E, and having owned kia / hyundai products in the past that did ok by me, I dont mind the brand at all (just the dealer experience can be hell if you dont know what you are doing).

Kia / Hyundai dealers still operate like they are dealing with sub prime borrowers, and have a very "old school" car dealership buying experience. When I bought the hyundai elantra for my daughter in 2015, I half expected the salesperson to try to "4 Square" me. They didnt, but it was very close to that experience. All the back and forth etc.

I know how to negotiate on vehicles, but had went down there to test drive one to see if she liked it, and got the proverbial "whats it going to take to get you into this vehicle today" type spiel, and thought "why not, my daughter likes the one she test drove".

They are going to have to fix that, if they intend to sell vehicles with stickers above 50k.

Last edited:
I like the look of this one! Reading the article linked also is interesting. They dont give range estimates for the GT version (which would be the one I would consider), but I would expect it to be somewhere in the 240-250 range EPA, based on what the trims that they DID state range were.

The longest one of those was 316 WLTP, which would likely be something like 280ish (?) EPA just throwing a number at the wall.

So, the EPA rated range is going to be lower than tesla,s but everyone's is. This one I find attractive, unlike the Mach E, and having owned kia / hyundai products in the past that did ok by me, I dont mind the brand at all (just the dealer experience can be hell if you dont know what you are doing).

Kia / Hyundai dealers still operate like they are dealing with sub prime borrowers, and have a very "old school" car dealership buying experience. When I bought the hyundai elantra for my daughter in 2015, I half expected the salesperson to try to "4 Square" me. They didnt, but it was very close to that experience. All the back and forth etc.

I know how to negotiate on vehicles, but had went down there to test drive one to see if she liked it, and got the proverbial "whats it going to take to get you into this vehicle today" type spiel, and thought "why not, my daughter likes the one she test drove".

They are going to have to fix that, if they intend to sell vehicles with stickers above 50k.
Agree on all fronts.
Although, in the near term, I would say that the Hyundai/Kia dealers may not have any problems selling out all the allocations given how limited the initial releases will be. All of the upcoming EVs are limited in production. Mach-E, Rivian, ID.4, all of their launch/1st edition releases are sold out. Back when Hyundai first released the Ioniq EV, it was pretty much impossible to get one for at least the first two years.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Since Kia needs to import into the US as well, so one wonders what the price relative to the domestic Model Y will be. Of course, you have a $7,500 advantage for Kia as well right off the bat. Good thing they are only selling 20,000 of them in the US.
The online rumor mill, including in Korean, are that the base model is going to start at ~$40,000 to $43,000 in the US for this and the Ioniq 5. If they do price it around there, they will have a winner, especially with the $7,500 that you mention as an advantage. Would make these EVs even cheaper than the base Model 3 SR+.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
where is 800v charging available? the porsche taycan is capable of 800v charging and there are almost no 800v chargers available in the entire world.
Not yet, but in the future.
You’re complaining that a car is made to be future-proof? People complain that some cars aren’t capable of fast charging and also complain that cars are made to fast charge in the future.
SMH.

Reactions: BlindPass
where is 800v charging available? the porsche taycan is capable of 800v charging and there are almost no 800v chargers available in the entire world.

Benefit of the 800V system isn't peak charging speeds being that much higher, it's sustained charging speed.

Buddy of mine with a Taycan can see 100kW charging....at 90% SOC! It's impressively fast.

Reactions: BlindPass
I'm personally super excited about the EV6. Having owned a few KIA cars, they are outstanding build quality and tremendous value for your money. I've owned a Rio, Optima Hybrid, Forte, Sportage and lastly a Sorrento. Before I bought the 2019 Model 3 SR+ it was between the Stinger and Audi A5 Sportback. I picked the Tesla because after I drove it, the other two couldn't match the fun factor and lower cost of ownership. The A5 was just way too expensive (in Canada)... I digress...

Anywho, The Ford fanboys keep thinking how the mach-e is going to change the EV world, it won't, they how it will eat into Tesla sales, again it won't. If you look at who KIA is marketed to compared to Ford, it's a much younger crowd. Ford should be very worried about KIA, Hyundai and VW. The Mach-E is a super nice car, but it's not very fun, and it's a "meh" from an EV standpoint.

If KIA can nail the public charging simplicity and not mess up the product launch like Ford has with the Mach-E, I believe this car do very well and the younger consumer would prefer this to grandpa's Ford brand.

KIA has a great line-up and their EV6 will slot in nicely. You'll get value and performance with the GT.

Their Stinger is a fun performance sports car. I chased one a while ago.

KIA_Stinger_vs_MY.jpg

What battery chemistries support 800v charging?
I don't think chemistry has anything to do with it. Tesla battery cells are ~4.15-4.2V when they are full, yet they make ~400V battery packs. The trick is to put them in bunches of 96 in series. To make an 800V battery I guess you make bricks of 192 in series. You put those bricks in parallel to have as much kWh as you want.