Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Motors: Classic S VS Autopilot S Model S 2013 VS 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Along with my friend Rees, As we were heading to Highland Park Service Center in my 2013 P85 Loaner, we thought, why not talk about some of the differences between this 2013 P85, my Non-Refresh 2016 90D w/Autopilot, and Rees' 2016 70D Refreshed w/Autopilot. Excuse my Cold. This cold persisted for quite some time, so I was sounding a little off. Enjoy!

Tesla Motors: Classic S VS Autopilot S Model S 2013 VS 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Along with my friend Rees, As we were heading to Highland Park Service Center in my 2013 P85 Loaner, we thought, why not talk about some of the differences between this 2013 P85, my Non-Refresh 2016 90D w/Autopilot, and Rees' 2016 70D Refreshed w/Autopilot. Excuse my Cold. This cold persisted for quite some time, so I was sounding a little off. Enjoy!
Thx for your videos... I'm one of your silent fans. Please see you Dr and don't let that cold develop into something worse. Stay healthy and keep sharing your opinions! . Cheers

Tesla Model S: Heating Elements & HVAC Power Consumption (Actual Numbers!)
====================================
While, in nearly every way, EV's are more efficient then Internal Combustion Engine vehicles, One advantage (all be it, really just the only one) that ICE vehicle have, is extreme excess amounts of heat.
For EV's, they must "Go out of their way" to create heat when those Temps start to drop.

So, in general, EV's have 3 main ways (Technically 4, however, the heat generated by the drive train and energy usage is usually not quite enough to warm the cabin, so I do not count that).

Ways to heat: Heat Pump, Resistance Heater (Think Space Heater) or Warming coils (also resistance) for use such as Seat Heaters.

In the case of the Tesla Model S (And Model X), it uses Resistance Heating (Space Heater) to heat the cabin. It also has Heated Seats, Defrosters, Heated Wipers, Mirrors and Rear Defroster.

Now, the question.... How much power do these use. What impact on range. Which is ideal. So here we go, the approximate power consumption numbers for each.

Baseline (Vehicle at Rest but Powered up): 247Wh
Defroster (Rear Window & Side Mirrors CWP): 285Wh
Steering Wheel Heater: 95Wh
Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh
1 Seat Heater: 57Wh
2 Seat Heaters: 133Wh
3 Seat Heaters: 171Wh
4 Seat Heaters: 209Wh
5 Seat Heaters: 247Wh

Tesla Motors: Firmware 8 Media Player shows Album Art for NETFLIX!
=======================================
So, it's official, the re-designed media player on Tesla's Firmware 8 now displays album art for TV Shows and Movies that you are watching through Netflix, whose audio is being played over bluetooth on the car!!! Neat little feature!

National Electric Drive Day 2016 Madison Wisconsin at the State Capital
-------------------------------------
Video of my trip to National Electric Drive Day 2016 outside the Wisconsin State Capital Building. Got to see lots of neat EV's, Tesla's, BMW's, Home Built, Fords, Nissans and more. Was a fun morning and also got to meetup with some friends!

Tesla Model S 90D: Rated Range Degradation 18000 Miles 27 Weeks Ownership
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy to see the range popped back up. Though still hitting numbers that are lower then what I believe they should be. Especially considering I've babied this pack, unlike my first packs in my old 60kWh Model S. Those old packs sure got a beating compared to this 90kWh pack.

Tesla Motors: Excessive Autopilot Nags, Over 20 in 15 minutes!
=========================================
So, with my first long drive since my car got one of the first major 8.0 Patches, this drive was enough to pull whats left of my hair out when dealing with autopilot. A reboot and a park did not improve the issue. A little excessive? This stretch of drive, which is about 74ish miles, used to only nag me 3-4 times in that whole section to hold wheel (And as you can see in the video, I WAS holding the wheel, just not with a tight grip, but more then enough to take control in a problem). In comparison, 20+ nags in 15 minutes, and about 50 in approximately 20-25 minutes. This just isn't right. With the patch, though, lake keeping is improved on the FREEWAY compared to original 8.0. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Tesla Motors: Full Autonomous Driving Hardware Release!
---------------------------------------------
With last weeks Press Release, Elon/Tesla Motors has announced that All Vehicles Being produced as of the 3rd week of October, will have a full autonomous driving hardware suite! AMAZING! While many will disagree on the exact choices in hardware that Tesla has chosen, it is still a step in the right direction for Level 4 and 5 Autonomous Driving, Compared to Level 1/2 that the Current "Autopilot" system has given us!

While this was filmed while I was in China, under the Iron Veil and behind the Great Firewall, which had yielded me very sparse information of the press release, I will be doing a follow up with more opinions now that I have finally returned to the USA.

Tesla Motors: Firmware 8 Patch 2.42.40 11/03/2016 Latest Patch
==============================
We finally get a good patch. Making "Some" progress. Only notes in the Change Log though are for the Media Player. Many more refinements are needed to make 8.0 usable.

"New 8.0 Enhancements

There are multiple improvements to the USB listening experience. You can now use search to quickly find a song, artist, or album on your USB. Or use the alphabetical index to select music from long lists. Songs in the artist view are now grouped by album--particularly convenient with artists with multiple albums. Performance has also been improved, including faster scrolling of lists and faster USB loading when you return to your vehicle."

Noticed Autopilot has gotten Even WORSE at keeping visuals on lines. These are roads I travel daily folks at many different times of the day and different condition. 7.xx Firmware's still I say did 100x better at maintaining a lane.

But at least, ya know, it was more important to make Voice Search for music take the music from your usb device if it is present. Actually do like that feature, and the Alpha Search is back for going through music folders, it's said they fixed the XM channel listing, however, I can't confirm as I do not have XM on my vehicle.
I'm still soured by firmware 8. I will hold out for firmware 8.1, which is rumored to fix most of these issues. If it's just as bad, I will attempt to get a downgrade to 7.xx firmware's, and maybe even pursue my legal options to do so. 8.0 is driving me nuts, and has really soured and taken away much of my great Tesla Driving Experience in my opinion.
8.0 Firmware is something to expect from someone learning to program. It was rushed, incomplete, full of change just for changes sake, and did not get enough testing nor owner feedback before shoving it down our throats as the next best thing to sliced bread.

Reactions: mrElbe

Tesla Motors: Firmware 8 Patch 2.42.40 11/03/2016 Latest Patch
==============================
We finally get a good patch. Making "Some" progress. Only notes in the Change Log though are for the Media Player. Many more refinements are needed to make 8.0 usable.

"New 8.0 Enhancements

There are multiple improvements to the USB listening experience. You can now use search to quickly find a song, artist, or album on your USB. Or use the alphabetical index to select music from long lists. Songs in the artist view are now grouped by album--particularly convenient with artists with multiple albums. Performance has also been improved, including faster scrolling of lists and faster USB loading when you return to your vehicle."

Noticed Autopilot has gotten Even WORSE at keeping visuals on lines. These are roads I travel daily folks at many different times of the day and different condition. 7.xx Firmware's still I say did 100x better at maintaining a lane.

But at least, ya know, it was more important to make Voice Search for music take the music from your usb device if it is present. Actually do like that feature, and the Alpha Search is back for going through music folders, it's said they fixed the XM channel listing, however, I can't confirm as I do not have XM on my vehicle.
I'm still soured by firmware 8. I will hold out for firmware 8.1, which is rumored to fix most of these issues. If it's just as bad, I will attempt to get a downgrade to 7.xx firmware's, and maybe even pursue my legal options to do so. 8.0 is driving me nuts, and has really soured and taken away much of my great Tesla Driving Experience in my opinion.
8.0 Firmware is something to expect from someone learning to program. It was rushed, incomplete, full of change just for changes sake, and did not get enough testing nor owner feedback before shoving it down our throats as the next best thing to sliced bread.
Don't hold back. Tell it like it is. :).

If it's just as bad, I will attempt to get a downgrade to 7.xx firmware's, and maybe even pursue my legal options to do so

Hope you don't mind my honest feedback.

Really... legal action to run firmware? Tesla preferentially trades you up to a 90D out of goodwill and this is how you repay them?
I used to follow your videos, but unsubscribed when I started to sense your attitude changing, it's like you are getting an unhealthy sense of your perceived influence.

Again, just my feedback. Take it for what you will. I've variously enjoyed watching your videos over the past few years. Cheers and good luck.

Hope you don't mind my honest feedback.

Really... legal action to run firmware? Tesla preferentially trades you up to a 90D out of goodwill and this is how you repay them?
I used to follow your videos, but unsubscribed when I started to sense your attitude changing, it's like you are getting an unhealthy sense of your perceived influence.

Again, just my feedback. Take it for what you will. I've variously enjoyed watching your videos over the past few years. Cheers and good luck.

It was not a out of goodwill trade. I cannot discuss the exact details of the deal due to non-disclosure agreements, however, I would like to bring to your attention (as you most likely already know due to previously watching my videos) the excessive issues my old car had, of which, were considerably WORSE then what I had publicly shown (Over 100 PAGES of service records with Multiple issues per page). My old car, if I had continued to drive it, would not have been safely functional in my opinion at this point had I continued to drive it. In fact, it's still sitting in the lot behind the service center 9 months later. They won't even use it as a loaner. We were just able to come to a agreement without taking things to the realm of lawyers. I had intended, and would have preferred, to drive my first Model S for 8-10 years. The "Deal" did cost me money, much money I had not planned or budgeted on spending. But the alternative was either sell the car to someone else, which I could not ethically do, and take a massive loss, or have a giant paperweight in my driveway.

As for my attitude changing, look around. Many peoples attitudes have been changing. While I am ecstatic of the new hardware improvements, and offerings, much in the terms of these firmware updates have been souring my experience. As well as general reaction by Tesla to issues.

For one example; Supercharger issues, over a year to get a supercharger handle overheating issue fixed (Supercharger handles reaching and exceeding temps of over 180*F!!!). Always blamed on my car (both my old car, new car, and numerous loaners) instead of the stations in question. Low and behold, finally replaced the charging handles and all the issues went away. Rushed, poorly tested buggy firmware. List goes on.
Not sure how to properly word it, but I know it's not right to expect the same level of service and responsiveness from Tesla as we got in the early days (They set their own bar high, so it's hard to lower the expectations now), I must face that fact, however, it really seems Tesla has spread themselves too thin. Maybe expand too fast??? Maybe, in my opinion, instead of keep bringing "beta" after "beta" release of everything to market, they should finalize things to a point.

Using my influence? I'm not letting it go to my head. I long for the days of Bliss-Full Tesla Videos. And I hope they can come back. Since the very, very beginning, and I pride myself on this. I show both the good and the bad. I don't put on the fanboy blinders (While I still consider myself one of the biggest Tesla Fanboys). I show All the Good, and All the bad and attempt to be Un-Biased (A difficult thing to do, not even the main stream media is anywhere near unbiased!). Nothing is perfect. Unfortunately, lately, it has been more of a Negative vehicular experience then good, but we still have good. Hopefully Tesla Listens to it's owners, and refines things. If we don't bring Tesla's short comings to their attention, how can things be fixed, remedied? My medium happens to be YouTube. For others, blogs, TV, or public Forums.
I wish Tesla the best, and pray for Tesla's continued Success!

I hope you will consider continuing to watch my videos again. I hate to lose any viewer, as I consider most of my viewers my friends, and try to interact with them on a personal level whenever I can. I greatly appreciate your feedback, and always take it to heart.

Tesla Style Grey Poupon; Why should Rolls Royce's have all the fun! Poupon Not Original Commercial
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gone of the days of Stuffy Faced Millionaires, Traditional style Chauffeur's, and a boxy ride in a Rolls Royce while eating Grey Poupon. Time for things to update a bit into the 21st Century!

Stuffy Faced Millionaires are now Self Made Silicon Valley Billionaires wearing Green Bay Packers Cheese Scarf's, Traditional Chauffeur's are now Fully Autonomous Self Driving cars, Rolls Royce's have been replaced with much more impressive (Yet still lacking the umbrella holder in the door) Tesla Model S or Model X.
So we thought, why not update the commercial? Enjoy!

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric

Tesla Motors/Energy: Unlimited Supercharging GONE??? DISCUSS!
------------------------------------------------------
So, The few have ruined yet another Tesla Innovation for the rest of us. Unlimited Supercharging For Life (of the vehicle) is now gone! Or at least, gone for all new Tesla Vehicles starting with all newly sold vehicles starting 2017. Lets discuss the implications of this, and what brought about this. In this installment, I make a few points at what I think brought us to this point, how it is both good and bad.
I would also like my viewers to weight in. Please post in the discussion/comments section below! And don't forget, like and subscribe!

ALSO KEEP IN MIND! If your vehicle ALREADY HAS Unlimited Supercharging For Life (Of the vehicle), it will NOT loose it. This is a "Early Adopter" "Bonus" we are getting!

Last edited:

Tesla Model S 90D: Rated Range Degradation 19000 Miles 30 Weeks Ownership
------------------------------------------------------
Range has been plateauing at about 283 Rated miles. I have not been able to recover higher then this, no matter what amount of balancing or charging habits I have tried. While a initial drop is expected with these types of lithium batteries, the results with this new chemistry Tesla is using, is not as good as with the original Model S battery chemistry.
As usual, we'll keep a eye on it. Side note though, with Firmware 8, I can no longer supercharge above 100kW rate. I could go as high as 110 with Firmware 7.xx's.
The new Chemistry uses a Silicon based Anode. I have a feeling, and this is based on nothing but my own observations of my car, others cars that have the new chemistry, and Tesla's actions with the firmware, that possibly they discovered a problem correlating between supercharging and the new chemistry, causing premature degradation. Once again, this is speculation, but take it as food for thought.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Really... legal action to run firmware?

(ignoring the other points since I don't know the history here), I do think that there should be some ability to go back to a previous version of the code. perhaps with a reasonable fee involved for service to reset it or something, and of course after signing something saying that you acknowledge that you may be losing updates and fixes that may be safety related... I also think there should be a way of blocking future updates from being installed or the systems from being changed (with the same proviso's).

Especially with the kinds of changes that are being made in the code, with features being removed or modified in ways that users don't really want, I could see a case being made that we purchased the car with the expectation that it would do x, and now it doesn't because the s/w changed.

If legal action is needed to get this, I am not against that either. I would sincerely hope that it would not have to come to that, but much as I like Tesla, I do think that they seem to be forgetting that they don't own the cars after they deliver them to the customers. Especially before the Model 3 comes out, which, I suspect, will make everything much worse as suddenly the number of people trying to use the system will multiply, and those people will be much less willing to be as flexible as current owners... which could have some major impacts on Tesla's ability to do business in the future.

I would much rather have these issues ironed out now, with a much smaller and more forgiving customer base, than later when it becomes closer to a mass market product and the issues start being aired on CNN instead.

I have a feeling, and this is based on nothing but my own observations of my car, others cars that have the new chemistry, and Tesla's actions with the firmware, that possibly they discovered a problem correlating between supercharging and the new chemistry, causing premature degradation. Once again, this is speculation, but take it as food for thought.

So...would this then be able to be shown by looking at cars that did not use a supercharger at all and see if there has been any degradation?