Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was your 100% rated miles when your S was new Kman?
And tell us about your road trip.
294 Rated when new.
Just went over 12,000 miles, and finally, got enough charge over the weekend on a 120 to fill er up. 11,000 Mile update below, no change, 12,000 mile update, saw a increase. 13,000 mile update coming before friday depending on available internet speeds. Train Mountain got Fiber last week, so I've been shoving my laptop in the station while we're out on the rails all day making use of the 50 mbit uploads. Just uploaded a 4 straight hour run of our 7.5" gauge Electric Box Cab. We drove it into the mountain on a 3 1/2 hour ride, followed by literally following someone on their diesel, doing a "endurance" test, pulling over 40 loaded freight cars with his loco. Did my own test with Mini-Tesla (What geno named our electric box cab, given that I sprayed the Tesla Logo all over it......) tonight, and despite it being tiny, powered by 2 lead acid batteries, and weighing less then 100lbs fully loaded, we were able to pull 26 freight cars, with only problem being we overheated the motor controller board on the hill, forcing me to put my steel toe under the wheels to keep it from rolling down the hill and derailing until the controller board cooled enough, then I sat on the roof of the cab to give it more weight and traction. We made it back to the depot, barely. But it was fun... But too much blabbing, you'll need to see the video.
Also coming, I recorded my energy consumption over the 2,500 miles from Wiscosin to Oregon pulling the Trailer. Video coming on energy consumption while towing, and how to greatly improve it.
I don't usually post my weekly update videos here, but I'll post the road trip one below, along with the 11,000 mile update.

CHEERS!
And thanks for watching!

Don't Post these here usually, but this one also deals with some fun from my road trip, so here it is. If your interested, Please see the Kman's Weekly Vlog play list on my channel, KmanAuto to see all past and future episodes. I will also be uploading (eventually) combined versions, with each "Combined" Vlog episode containing 12 episodes to help viewers catch up. My Vlog covers current and past Tesla/EV Related Events as well as personal things going on.

Tesla Model S 90D: Rated Range 11000 Miles 20 Weeks Ownership Degradation
======================================
A Late night update, or lack there of.... The 12,000 mile update will prove more interesting-ish...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Train Mountain: Tesla Theme Electric Locomotive Pulling 26 Freight and Passenger Cars
=================================
It may not be a real Tesla, But it sure has it's Spirit! Mini 7 1/2" Gauge Electric Box-Cab Locomotive Tesla Themed Pulling 26 Passenger and Freight Cars. Total load being pulled estimated at just under 8,000 lbs.
Train Mountain in Chiloquin, Oregon www.TMRR.org is the Location!

Tesla Autopilot: Bad Downpour Autopilot Keeps Lane Lock!
=====================================
Pre-Road Trip, was driving to my parents house. We were hit with a series of nasty storms. It was actually safer to use TACC and Autopilot, as even with reduced visability driving, radar was still able to cut through it and keep us a safe distance from the vehicles in front of us. Even then, I was extremely impressed that the car was able to keep a positive lock on the lanes! Very very impressed! Especially since so often the car has trouble locking on to lanes during nice weather!

• Informative

Tesla Motors: Full Battery on a Mountain... WHAT HAPPENS???
----------------------------------------------------------------
So what happens when you leave the top of a mountain, with a 100% charge? Here we find out! The car reserves a sliver of space in the battery for regen. Though, thats all it is, a sliver!
Regen cannot keep up, and then the car starts going faster, and faster, and faster! As you can see in the video.

Now, depending on if you have a autopilot car or not, here is what happens.
Non-Autopilot cars, will continue to just keep going faster no matter if you have cruise control on or not.
Autopilot Cars, if you have TACC, or Autopilot active, the car will automatically apply the brakes to bring you back down to the set speed. If autopilot or TACC is NOT active, you will just continue to go faster and faster and faster, until you hit 88mph and travel back in time to do it all over again (AND MORE FUN!).

I would like to attempt this again, only from Pikes Peak the next time around!
Fun little experiment that answered a bit of my curiosity. I'm surprised though, that so much extra space was kept for regen even after the car was 100%.

Tesla Motors: Towing Tips, Experiences & What to Expect when Towing with a Tesla Model X or Model S
========================================
Viewer Note: While I know Shorter is usually better, This is a important subject for any person wanting to tow a Trailer with a Electric Vehicle. I hoped to provide as much information as possible to help those people in their venture!
========================================
Towing a Trailer does not always go according to plans. It can also be a new venture for some, and even newer doing so with a Electric Vehicle, such as a Tesla.
Entering into the world of Trailer towing, With a electric vehicle, is a whole new experience. Gone are the days of your vehicle, struggling to pull a trailer up a mountain, or loss of braking power going down the other side due to over-heating brakes. Gone are the days of excessive fatigue from those long road trips towing the family camper. However, some new challenges have shown themselves, so here I am, doing my best to prepare you for whats ahead.
I also hope my experiences can help future designers with the design of electric Semi's, Lorry's, Motor homes etc..

Please watch the video, and then reference the below added data to compliment the information given in the video.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rundown:
1: Increased Consumption by 2-3x at Posted Speeds.
2: Drafting Semi's with TACC or Autopilot set to 7 (Safety is paramount! Added weight of trailer will INCREASE stopping Distance) will yield as much as a 25% reduction in Energy Consumption.
3: Dropping speed to 55mph instead of 75mph can yield as much as a 15-30% reduction in Energy Consumption
4: Winter Towing (Sub 55*F or Cold enough where cabin heater is required) is not recommended for long distances due to the greatly increased energy consumption. Heat use, both for Cabin, and Battery, can be detrimental to your Range!!!
===================================
My Calculations yield a approximate
Recommended Charge Level Chart to achieve travel between Superchargers:
===================================
Model S: (Does not matter if Classic Body, or Refreshed)
-P100D = 93-100%
-100D = 93-100%
-P90D =95-100%
-90D =93-100%
-P85D =98-100%
-85D =95-100%
-85 =100%
-75D =100%
-70D =100%
-70 = Local Towing Only 100%
-60D = Local Towing Only 100%
-60 = Local Towing Only 100%
-40 = Local Towing Only 100%

Model X:
-P100D = 93-100%
-100D = 93-100%
-P90D =95-100%
-90D =93-100%
-P85D =98-100%
-85D =95-100%
-75D =100%
-70D =100%
-60D = Local Towing Only 100%

Differences between Performance and Non Performance versions are due to motor size. Even with Torque Sleep on the rear motor, the larger Drive Unit for the Performance models in Dual-Motor Cars still causes additional power consumption, and even more so if it is in operation.

These are only a guideline, But do stay cautious. Please spend the extra 10 Minutes at the supercharger rather then spend a hour or longer stuck on the Freeway, or limped off the freeway juicing up on a 120v outlet to limp to the next high powered station.

KmanAuto | Facebook
KmanAuto
Tesla Supercharger Network Travel Guide
Kman's Approved Products - Accessories Phone & Tablet Kman's Approved Product Store
[email protected]
414-807-8354

• Informative

Tesla Motors: New Supercharging Error??? First time for everything???
====================================
So, in three years, and what I estimate to be well over 1,000 supercharging sessions, this is the first time I came across this Supercharging error. Quite interesting, and personally, makes no sense, considering, that using the supercharger cable handle to insert the cable, is about the only way TO insert the cable..... Thoughts? Opinions? Sending this one to the Service center for their take on this. Unplugging and plugging back in seemed to remedy the issue @_@
This was at the Albert Lea supercharger on our return home from our Cross Country Teardrop Travel Trailer road Trip. We had a blast, but long cross country trips also let me see differences between superchargers. And you can see by the cable end, this location needs a bit of Supercharger Love ;-)

• Helpful

PCH Custom Fit Tesla Model S Dash-cam Unboxing, Install and Review w/ Day & Night Test Footage
=================================================
Wouldn't it be nice if the Tesla Model S Autopilot camera also acted as a Dashcam? Well, for the time being, it's a pipe dream.

Here is the next best thing! The PCH Custom Dashcam for Autopilot Hardware Model S Cars.
Installation is super easy... Remove the black plastic behind the rear view mirror, and the dash cam snaps right in! The power source is taken from the auto-tinting mirror. No wires to run, holes to cut, quite literally plug and play!
Video quality is good. It's not a backview cam, but considering the seem-less installation, and even the service center missed it when doing service, the integration.

Company and Purchase Link: Dashcam for Tesla Model S

Kman's Model S gets MOTHED! Autopilot Outtage
-----------------------------------------------
So, I have seen it happen to others, well, finally happened to me on our way back home to Milwaukee from Oregon. As you can see, the car has gotten completely bugged! Yes we washed it while on vacation.
Anywho.... We were driving, and kept getting "phantom" warnings. Collision alerts, and objects. Even though the autopilot camera picked nothing up, the radar overrides the camera in terms of objects in proximity (The radar can cut through rain, snow and fog, things the camera has trouble seeing through). When we stopped to supercharge, I took a peak, and sure enough, we caught one!
Removed the moth, and smooth sailing all the way home!
I've seen it happen to others, but didn't think it would happen to me, but just take a look at what else we had "caught" just on the way home, I suppose it was just a matter of time!

• Funny

Tesla: Upgrading Autopilot 8.0/8.1: Blog-post Breakdown & Explanation!
----
You would not believe the questions I'm getting already about Elon's Blog-Post today about firmware 8.0/8.1 So I decided to address everyone at once. In this video, I go paragraph by paragraph, and then bullet point by bullet point breaking down and explaining each idea and point Elon/Tesla has made about the new Autopilot upgrades and firmware 8.0 and 8.1
I can really say, this will be a revolutionary update.