Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...TACC And Autopilot failed to attempt to stop the car, though give a audible and visual collision warning. It failed in our opinion to attempt to slow or stop the car...

An experiment needs to test what the manual says it can do.

If the experiment results in failure of the tester's expectations but those expectations are against the manual then the experiment can only prove that the car cannot do what its manual has told you it cannot do.

There are many levels for the quest of autonomous driverless car. Tesla's current features are in its very infancy.

You are lucky if it can actually work ONLY in divided freeways that are free of pedestrians. This is the level that Tesla is training its system to do. Remember when it seemed to want to exit the freeway in early days? It's like a baby being trained on how to crawl.

Once you throw in pedestrians, you might as well talk about upgrading hardware such as a stereoscopic camera for depth perception instead of this current single lens camera.

Last edited:
...I have had it emergency brake when another car has pulled out in front of me though...

What described above is not to be confused with AEB-Automatic Emergency Brake.

What you experienced in the scenario above was actually the function of TACC-Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

TACC can recognize a car that cuts in front of you and brake even to a complete stop to avoid crashes.

On the other hand, the Tesla manual says that its AEB is not designed to brake to a stop to avoid crashes. The best it is currently designed to do is to brake to reduce speed (not to stop) in an effort to reduce collision force then the brakes would be released again once a specific speed reduction is achieved. In so doing, it is still a collision.

I think system needs to be tracking objects for some time before it will engage collision avoidance. If pedestrian runs in front of the car the system does not have enough time to determine appropriate action.

If test dummy was walking in the middle of the street I think the outcome could have been different...but please don't test this theory :)

The car has an extensive short range sensor suite with all the ultrasonic sensors. It can pick up objects quite well at range up to a few feet, which is good for parking, but almost useless when on the road. The long range sensors are limited to the doppler radar and one camera pointed forward. The field of view of the camera is good enough to pick up speed limit signs as you pass them, but it can't see something coming from the side.

Also because of the limited long range sensors, the car needs to take multiple measurements and calculations to figure out the difference between a car in front of you and the road rising in front of you. One of the things the car uses is knowing that a vehicle in front of you will move with respect to the background and the road won't.

The accidents that have happened are all or almost all due to the car following another car, then that car suddenly zooms into another lane to avoid a stopped vehicle. The Tesla's sensors can't figure out if the stopped vehicle is a vehicle or the road is doing something odd and it's still trying to figure it out when it hits the other vehicle.

That's an edge condition the current sensor suite can't handle. It can't gather the data it needs in time. The leaked schematic that will be out one of these days, will have four cameras, the original plus three more. This will allow for some degree of side vision (with the fish eye lens) and will give the car the ability to tell a stalled vehicle from the road. Until then, it's up to the driver to pay attention.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and weak_pig

YouTube Exists Because of Elon Musk
===========================================
You think I'm Crazy? You'd be right on that. However, I really think the odd's of YouTube existing today, or at least in it's current form (Size), may be due to Elon Musk.

So here is my Birthday Present to Elon Musk. Happy 45th Birthday!

Fatality on Autopilot Opinions and Demo and Condolences
=======================================
Tesla Driver Fatally Injured after collision with a Semi Trailer. I was not originally going to comment on this event, however, I have received a number of requests from my viewers to touch on the subject. I know some more information has been added to the investigations, this video is current as of the time of it's creation, Friday July 1st, 2016 10AM. I will do followup as more information is released.
I have also been contacted by two people, who wish to remain anonymous to the public offering some more disturbing information, I am doing my best to confirm what they are telling me, so I will follow up with that information as well.

Tesla Motors: Claims of Suspension Issues and Conspiracy!
============================================
Suspension Issues? Real or Fake? Whats your take?
I give my take on the claimed problems with the Tesla Suspension issues.
This was a Viewer Request Video, although rather late!

FiiT VR And Gigafactory Event 2016!
=============================================
My Channel Sponsor, GearBest, will be sponsoring my visit to the gigafactory's filming, but in 3d! Want to feel like you were at the event? Pickup a set of these awesome FiiT VR Goggles! These are fantastic. I will shortly have a BASIC (Still practicing with 3d) recording of 4th of July Fireworks, and more to come!

Tesla Motors : Autopilot Displaying Motorcycle Icon
--------------------------------------------------------------
Showing the Motorcycle Recognition Icon on the Dash Screen while in Autopilot. It's neat how the car can recognize different vehicles. Autopilot is improving! Cannot wait until Firmware 8.0!!!

Tesla Motors Model S: P90DL Walk Around! Delivery
============================================
A Tesla P90D With Ludicrous!!! WHAT!! Yep! Tesla gave me a P90DL as a loaner while my Autopilot Radar was getting Re-calibrated. It was a interesting experience. I got to test some more updated features, Including the Next Gen Seats. Which, seem to have been Tweaked a bit from a previous time I had gotten to test the Next Gen Seats.
I also got to play with the Ultra High Fidelity Sound System, Air Shocks (Which I still don't like), and of course, Ludicrous Mode! Which I found Un-Impressive. Though, I attribute that to 3 years of Model S Driving, de-sensitizing me to the Crazy Nuts acceleration (So don't be hating!, could also have something to do with my choices of vehicles that I have driven or flown over the past 20 years, mopeds all the way to jet aircraft).

Cheers!

Tesla Model S 60kWh - Goodbye MS60 #P09846 Hello MS 90D!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
A progression in Technology, Goodbye to a Old Friend, and Hello to a new Friend.
Starts off with some photos of the new 90D that I am currently driving, and some side by side shots between my old MS60 and new MS90D.
We then see, my old MS60 on 2 more occasions, a month later, and then 5 months later. Still not for sale (And will most likely never will be). Not sure exactly what they will be using it for, maybe a service loaner, or shop vehicle. Saddened to see that it is not taken care of though, after how clean I kept the vehicle, though, don't blame them.

Goodbye Tesla Model S #9846! Hope to see you again in the future!

Tesla Customers! WARNING! Insurance Issue! Effects Many Owners! MUST WATCH!!!!! OVERPAYING FOR INS!
==========================================
It was brought to my attention by my friend Reese R. That many insurance companies are using a outdated database to decode VIN numbers of Tesla Vehicles. Because of this, many customers that have a lower trim level are paying more for insurance because the insurance company is charging them for a higher trim level.
So in the case of Rees, he has a 1 1/2 week old 70D, however his insurance company, what charging him for insurance as if he owned a P90D With Ludicrous Mode. A vehicle that has a base price of Approximately $50,000 USD MORE then his 70D.
I also have a 90D, and I confirmed with my insurance company, that I was also being charged for a P90D with Ludicrous Mode.
A third owner has also reported in, and now, after the live stream I did yesterday, I'm getting emails from others stating they are seeing the same.
Personally, I think the insurance companies are doing this on purpose, to rake in some more premiums, due to the exceedingly high cost of repairs for crashed Tesla Vehicles.

So please, check with your insurance company, and make sure they are charging you for the correct trim level. I have attached links to Both the Tesla Motors Club discussion, and the Tesla Motors Club VIN Decoding for your convenience.

Please also report back here if your insurance company got it correct or wrong. Mine got my insurance wrong, but got another correct.

Please provide the following if you do not mind:
7th Digit of your VIN (Ones with the Letter E are the ones causing the problem):
Actual Trim Level:
Insurance Company:
Did they get it right or wrong:
If wrong, what trim level they had you at.

Please don't forget to Like and Subscribe!!!
Get $1000 off purchase of Model S or Model X! Referral | Tesla Motors

Link to VIN Decoding: Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

Link to TMC Discussion: This Insurance problem could effect many Tesla owners.

KmanAuto | Facebook
KmanAuto
Tesla Supercharger Network Travel Guide
Kman's Approved Products - Accessories Phone & Tablet Kman's Approved Product Store
[email protected]
414-807-8354

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

This Tongue-In-Cheek video talks about Tesla Autopilot, and Pokemon GO.
As most are familiar, recently, Tesla had the first (and only) fatality while a man, Mr. Brown, was (Improperly) using Tesla Model S Autopilot (Improperly being, he was watching a Harry Potter DVD instead of paying attention).
Autopilot (Commonly and INCORRECTLY Referred to by the Mass Media as Autonomous Driving, it is NOT, it is a DRIVER ASSISTANCE Feature) has since been chastised by the Media, as being a Technology too advanced and not ready for "prime time", and Consumer reports is even is going as far as wanting Tesla to Recall Autopilot......

So lets recap, a SINGLE Death from Autopilot (While being used against Manufacturers directions). Yet they forget all the LIVES SAVED so far by Autopilot (And it's Collision Avoidance features. Heck, It already saved one idiot kid who darted out into the road on his bike while texting on his phone, I could NOT have reacted quickly enough to stop the car, his life was spared by autopilot!).

Now, on the other hand, Pokemon GO was not designed to save lives, or attempt to prevent accidents. In fact, it is having a much much more dire affect.
So far, we have a Confirmed Death, Confirmed Car Accident, Confirmed Injuries, Hospitalizations, robberies, muggings, well, list goes on but YouTube will not give me enough description characters to list all the PROBLEMS that Pokemon GO has Caused!!!

Yet, what do we hear? No, it's not BAN POKEMON GO!, Unlike Autopilot.... This is absolutely Ludicrous! (Pun Intended!). I am beside myself!
A Technology that has already SAVED LIVES, and CONTINUES TO SAVE LIVES, is being called for a ban or at least a recall until more "refinement" can be done, yet, the other, which continues to cause pain and suffering, is allowed to stay, with just mild cautions.

What do you make of this? I want to know your opinion! Post in the Comments Section!

Reactions: Casavant

Tesla Model S: Rear Center Console Insert & Cup Holders! EVAnnex
========================================
As many remember my review on the front Console Insert for my Model S, EVAnnex has provided me with the new Rear Center Console Insert. And boy is this thing nice. Especially the Cup Holders!
So take a watch, sit back and enjoy.
If your interested in purchasing the Insert, Please see: Rear Center Console Insert for Tesla Model S

This Tongue-In-Cheek video talks about Tesla Autopilot, and Pokemon GO.
As most are familiar, recently, Tesla had the first (and only) fatality while a man, Mr. Brown, was (Improperly) using Tesla Model S Autopilot (Improperly being, he was watching a Harry Potter DVD instead of paying attention).
Autopilot (Commonly and INCORRECTLY Referred to by the Mass Media as Autonomous Driving, it is NOT, it is a DRIVER ASSISTANCE Feature) has since been chastised by the Media, as being a Technology too advanced and not ready for "prime time", and Consumer reports is even is going as far as wanting Tesla to Recall Autopilot......

So lets recap, a SINGLE Death from Autopilot (While being used against Manufacturers directions). Yet they forget all the LIVES SAVED so far by Autopilot (And it's Collision Avoidance features. Heck, It already saved one idiot kid who darted out into the road on his bike while texting on his phone, I could NOT have reacted quickly enough to stop the car, his life was spared by autopilot!).

Now, on the other hand, Pokemon GO was not designed to save lives, or attempt to prevent accidents. In fact, it is having a much much more dire affect.
So far, we have a Confirmed Death, Confirmed Car Accident, Confirmed Injuries, Hospitalizations, robberies, muggings, well, list goes on but YouTube will not give me enough description characters to list all the PROBLEMS that Pokemon GO has Caused!!!

Yet, what do we hear? No, it's not BAN POKEMON GO!, Unlike Autopilot.... This is absolutely Ludicrous! (Pun Intended!). I am beside myself!
A Technology that has already SAVED LIVES, and CONTINUES TO SAVE LIVES, is being called for a ban or at least a recall until more "refinement" can be done, yet, the other, which continues to cause pain and suffering, is allowed to stay, with just mild cautions.

What do you make of this? I want to know your opinion! Post in the Comments Section!
And wouldn't you just love to have your local teens running around in cars doing this?

The race is on for Pokemon Go - Roadshow