Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning when set to OFF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out today and had TACC activated (not self steering or whatever it's called, just the normal cruse control, one down click) when I got an audible warning accompanied by a "take control of the vehicle" or something to that effect, in red. After I stopped, I checked as I was sure this setting was OFF and indeed it was (see below).

Any thoughts?

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2326.JPG

Sounds like autopilot has had an issue and TACC, etc was therefore no longer available (and immediately disengaged). So you are now responsible for controlling the speed - in particular you now need to be aware that the car will no longer automatically slow down for traffic ahead, hence the prominent alert. (If autopilot suffers an error when you are using autosteer, the alert is a lot more alarming 😆 - for good reason, of course).

As a one off, I would say it's just one of those things. If it happens a lot, may be worth a service request.

Having done some reading I’m now thinking this is EMERGENCY LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE which can be seen as in in my image above. Apparently this defaults to on on each journey start.

Slightly confusing though as it certainly didn’t attempt to steer, maybe because I’ve got Autosteer set to off but additionally confusing as I’d have expected this to follow LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE which is set to off.

Recreated the issue or scenario this morning on a different road and same result. Simply on TACC (one click down) and slowly drift to the center of the road and it shows the warning and records in the log with the settings as per my images above.

when I got an audible warning accompanied by a "take control of the vehicle" or something to that effect, in red

Forward collision warning perhaps? That can mis-interpret a threat and think (on current course and closing-speed) that it will lead to a collision

You could check that by driving "at" a parked car, when road ahead is clear, and delaying pulling out until you get that warning.

You will get that warning with Cruise on, or off, but with Cruise on I would expect the "take control immediately" as well

The emergency lane departure and sometimes "steering correction applied" even when not using TACC of AP comes on for me on certain stretches of road. It can be quite annoying and it frightens the life out of you when it first happens when on a spirited drive, the last thing I wanted was the car taking control when enjoying an wide sweeping corner. I just put these things down to Tesla software having a moment. The combination of it and me is still probably better than either one of us in isolation so I just go with it.

"steering correction applied" even when not using TACC or AP

I get that on some somewhat narrow country roads (two cars can pass but some care needed). I assume it is high banks or similar, but it isn't always in same place, and I haven't spotted any particular reason.

Never actual had any steering correction applied, that I am aware of, just the shriek-alarm and that message in text.

Reactions: Way Downunder
Just for closure, I added this to my list of open service requests and had a call from a technician yesterday who explained the situation to me.

As as expected but didnt know when I first posted, LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE and EMERGENCY LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE (see the image in my first post) are completely different things, the former acts as one would expect, in so far as most modern cards do when crossing lanes without indicating. The latter is what was applied during my event and this was confirmed by the technician as the car having intervened. Apparently, the interior camera was what initiated this, as in I was obviously not paying attention to the road (his words not mine) 🤣

He advised that EMERGENCY LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE is active not only while in Autopilot but also normal driving, unless disabled of course (again, my picture above).

The interior camera (he called this by another name actually, but it escapes me) can be deactivated by unchecking the box in DATA SHARING, which I find completely nonsensical that to disable this camera and as such prevent it from providing input to a safety system, you have to prevent data sharing, surely that only means sharing data with Tesla (over a network), as I believe it even says in the DATA SHARING section, nothing about it then not being used to detect that I'm looking at trees when I should be looking at the road.

TLDR;
Of course, he could have meant, that the interior camera data was used to diagnose why the car intervened and this seemed to show that I was indeed looking at trees in a field, such that the camera was not providing input to make the decision, just providing an answer as to why I had drifted across the road (which wasn't really my question).

TLDR;
Of course, he could have meant, that the interior camera data was used to diagnose why the car intervened and this seemed to show that I was indeed looking at trees in a field, such that the camera was not providing input to make the decision, just providing an answer as to why I had drifted across the road (which wasn't really my question).

I'm not sure what to make of the Tesla SC explanation. I think its BS...

From what I can see, the info from the interior camera, by the time that it gets to Tesla, is not linked to any VIN, ie, it is anonymised and not associated with your vehicle. So how can they then see video apparently from your vehicle? If they can, then it is not anonymised. Unless... they could log into your vehicle and access video saved internally in the car. But unless a lane departure warning forces clips to be saved to the car internally, then this footage would be lost. Unsaved Teslacam video effectively gets erased unless it is not saved within 60 minutes, so it would not be present on any of your media drives (and even if it was saved, I am sure that someone somewhere would have spotted internal camera footage on their media drive and said something) and I really do not think that something as routine as a lane departure correction would warrant media being saved internally in the MCU and taking up space - a serious accident would be a different matter... but no accident occurred let alone air bags being deployed - the metric that Tesla seem to use to signify an accident. Just like the issue that footage should not be associated with a VIN, the other circumstances that this occurred do not fit.

I smell BS as otherwise Tesla would seem to be in breach of what they say the internal camera footage is used for and how it is processed.

I'm not sure what to make of the Tesla SC explanation. I think its BS...

From what I can see, the info from the interior camera, by the time that it gets to Tesla, is not linked to any VIN, ie, it is anonymised and not associated with your vehicle. So how can they then see video apparently from your vehicle? If they can, then it is not anonymised. Unless... they could log into your vehicle and access video saved internally in the car. But unless a lane departure warning forces clips to be saved to the car internally, then this footage would be lost. Unsaved Teslacam video effectively gets erased unless it is not saved within 60 minutes, so it would not be present on any of your media drives (and even if it was saved, I am sure that someone somewhere would have spotted internal camera footage on their media drive and said something) and I really do not think that something as routine as a lane departure correction would warrant media being saved internally in the MCU and taking up space - a serious accident would be a different matter... but no accident occurred let alone air bags being deployed - the metric that Tesla seem to use to signify an accident. Just like the issue that footage should not be associated with a VIN, the other circumstances that this occurred do not fit.

I smell BS as otherwise Tesla would seem to be in breach of what they say the internal camera footage is used for and how it is processed.
You are making the assumption that actual video footage is saved, but perhaps the onboard AI monitoring the video in real-time creates an 'Alert event' to the effect that the driver is not paying attention to the road, no video is saved or leaves the car, just the event record in the log. The 'not paying attention to road' event plus crossing the white line together triggered the Emergency Lane Departure Warning - possibly, just my suggestion.

The bit about turning off Data Sharing to prevent this alert happening sounds rather BS though.

Reactions: plisken
I get that on some somewhat narrow country roads (two cars can pass but some care needed). I assume it is high banks or similar, but it isn't always in same place, and I haven't spotted any particular reason.

Never actual had any steering correction applied, that I am aware of, just the shriek-alarm and that message in text.
Sometimes it just sees a seam in different types of bitumen, thinks it's a line a goes berserk. A frigging annoying crap piece of software.

Just for closure, I added this to my list of open service requests and had a call from a technician yesterday who explained the situation to me.

As as expected but didnt know when I first posted, LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE and EMERGENCY LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE (see the image in my first post) are completely different things, the former acts as one would expect, in so far as most modern cards do when crossing lanes without indicating. The latter is what was applied during my event and this was confirmed by the technician as the car having intervened. Apparently, the interior camera was what initiated this, as in I was obviously not paying attention to the road (his words not mine) 🤣

He advised that EMERGENCY LANE DEPARTURE AVOIDANCE is active not only while in Autopilot but also normal driving, unless disabled of course (again, my picture above).

The interior camera (he called this by another name actually, but it escapes me) can be deactivated by unchecking the box in DATA SHARING, which I find completely nonsensical that to disable this camera and as such prevent it from providing input to a safety system, you have to prevent data sharing, surely that only means sharing data with Tesla (over a network), as I believe it even says in the DATA SHARING section, nothing about it then not being used to detect that I'm looking at trees when I should be looking at the road.

TLDR;
Emergency lane departure warning is a prerequisite for the NCAP score and been mandatory in Europe for a while now. It can be turned off but has to come back on every time the vehicle starts and is applicable to all vehicles registered after a certain date.

I spoke to NCAP about this stuff and I raised the issue of real world actual performance v tick boxing features or controlled conditions. I made a number of points such as the distraction of fiddling with auto wipers, the intervention you sometimes get when the car thinks you're leaving the road, phantom braking etc, and the reply was kind of mixed. To their credit they accepted that the real world wasn't the same as a lab, but they weren't going to change their approach any time soon, it was almost a case of use Trustpilot if you want to leave "opinions". I can't say I feel safer driving our Tesla compared to driving our BMW, maybe I am and I don't realise, I just don't feel it.

Reactions: Way Downunder
I can't say I feel safer driving our Tesla compared to driving our BMW, maybe I am and I don't realise, I just don't feel it

I've had alerts (just a handful of times in 150,000 miles of ownership) for something that did matter (and in a situation where I probably would have spotted / reacted ... but I might not have done).

And, yeah, I get false alerts too. The question I have is, when I get a real alert will I just press the accelerator 'coz I am thinking "Must be another false alert" rather than pressing the brakes 'coz, this time, its real ...