Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really weird because I could have swore that I read a spec sheet prior to the official release stating that the refresh Model S was using some sort of new wizbang laser technology. I was excited that they had actually taken the time to improve one of the glaring shortcomings since the inception of the Model S line. If anything, they've taken a step back with the LED "upgrades" of the 2016.5-2021 gen.

That's really weird because I could have swore that I read a spec sheet prior to the official release stating that the refresh Model S was using some sort of new wizbang laser technology. I was excited that they had actually taken the time to improve one of the glaring shortcomings since the inception of the Model S line. If anything, they've taken a step back with the LED "upgrades" of the 2016.5-2021 gen.

I don't remember seeing anything of that sort. There were speculations that they're different because of the picture that went out with the event invite. It was lit in a way that we don't ever see (all the leds on the bottom was lit up). I tested my lights, and in no condition does all of the bottom leds all light up. Having said that, when the G revision came out, I kind of figured that it would be the same one as the new S, as the timeline is just too convenient.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
This is a great disappointment to me. After seeing how great the lighting was with the Models 3 & Y, I was expected much improved headlights in the Model S refresh, figuring that Tesla has since learned how to do it well. Model S has always had poor lighting, as evidenced here.
Amen brother... sad to see that Tesla has a Poor rating and is inadequate in all 4 tests for both low and high beams.

1625186383530.png

You know it's bad when you find yourself rubbing your eyes driving the model S at night wondering why everything is so dim, then hop in your 2001 Mercedes and go "wow I can see".

Let's hope aftermarket can get some improvement to the LED lighting here.

Reactions: FlatSix911
From the manual. Is this something that the older models have;
Page 60

Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
If equipped, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) automatically adjusts the beam of the headlights to improve your driving view. Electric sensors measure driving speed, steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car around the vertical axis) to determine the optimum position of the headlights based on current driving conditions. For example, to improve visibility while driving on winding roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the direction of the curve. When low beam headlights are turned on and when driving at lower speeds, AFS improves lateral illumination to increase the visibility of pedestrians and curbs, and to improve visibility when turning at a dark intersection, into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.

Should read "If equipped AND if the code has been written to support it,"
From what I've read a lot of Palladium features aren't supported in the shipping version of the Tesla software.
Nosecone HID lights perform better than the 2016 refresh LEDs, at the expense of using more electrons.

My passenger headlight eyebrow had developed the dim yellow on the inside edge closest to the car nose, as many have posted here, and was replaced under warranty by mobile service. After getting the new one (F revision), it is nice an uniform. But that made me realize that the driver side one is not evenly lit.

Although hard to capture in the photo without overblowing the highlights, in person the center 50% of the eyebrow is noticeably dimmer than either the inside or outside edge. It was not glaringly obvious when compared to the failure on the passenger one, so I didn't bring it up with the service center until seeing what a new replacement looks like.

Mobile service came out and said it is LED degradation, but not outright failure. They said a "section" actually has to be "completely out" for warranty replacement.

I don't mind the unevenness if it stays like this, as it's relatively subtle in most circumstances. but, I'm just wondering if this is an impending sign of failure in a few months (when I'll be out of warranty)?

View attachment 648844

Reporting back that I was able to get my drivers side headlamp and DRL assembly replaced under warranty, even though my 4-year warranty had expired in April. I'd documented the dimming problem and requested service back in March, and the problem was acknowledged and authorized by the remote team, but the mobile tech who came then overruled and said it was failing, but not yet failed, and that I'd have to pay out of pocket at that time.

But everyone here stated correctly that failure was inevitable and like soon, and indeed only three months later 75% of it had completely died. Fortunately the Tesla service team saw the logic and didn't contest the warranty request, and sent another tech out this morning

The tech had it replaced in about 30 minutes. The new part is the -G revision, whereas when I had my passenger DRL replaced in February, also failed, they used a -F revision. The tech suggested they may have lowered the about of power with the newest revision to reduce the heat and likelihood of burning out. But in case it does happen to fail again, the repair looked straightforward enough that I'd probably go the DIY eBay route if I need to get it fixed out of warranty.

So I would say for those who are getting closer to their warranty expiration, check lights and other things closely for signs of impending failure, and try to get it documented or acknowledged BEFORE the warranty runs out.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Ranger tech will be here this morning to replace my passenger side headlight housing under warranty while doing some other warranty work to include a driver's side door handle and a passenger side tail light with moisture in it. It looks like the estimate/invoice is calling for the -F part number. I'm not sure how he's going to reposition/aim my headlights in broad daylight but I guess time will tell. Did any of you have adjustment issues after having your headlights replaced or did they also aim them at the same time?

They did not do any aiming or adjustment when they replaced my drivers side headlight this morning, the car was in the driveway on uneven ground, and there was no wall in front to see where the headlights were pointing. Though instead, the tech said he was pushing a firmware update to the car, which seemed odd - when I joked that everything is computerized these days, he said there's a computer module attached to the headlight, and that the update was for the headlight to automatically level itself.

It just finished updated firmware now, and appears to be the same firmware version that I already had previously. But perhaps after an update or even re-install, the headlights re-do their calibration or leveling or something like that.

Both of my DRL are dead. started with yellowing on one side then both died with just the small vertical strip lighting. Not sure its worth going the eBay route as it may last a week, month, years or anywhere in between.

If I had a "matched" set and at the same time, I might've just left it as well. Mine failed unevenly, and would've looked like it was winking at you or something ;-)

My drivers side and passenger side both started failing at the same time. At first they both looked the same with the horizontal part half burned out. Then the whole horizontal part burned out on the driver side. I was hoping the passenger side would do the same so it would look even again. But instead the driver side vertical one is now turning yellow at the bottom. These are D revision so it was only a matter of time. I hope the G revision fixes it since it is the same part number as the new Plaid headlights. I am out of warranty so I am waiting until the G is out for a while.
20210725_213931.jpg
20210725_213802.jpg

My drivers side and passenger side both started failing at the same time. At first they both looked the same with the horizontal part half burned out. Then the whole horizontal part burned out on the driver side. I was hoping the passenger side would do the same so it would look even again. But instead the driver side vertical one is now turning yellow at the bottom. These are D revision so it was only a matter of time. I hope the G revision fixes it since it is the same part number as the new Plaid headlights. I am out of warranty so I am waiting until the G is out for a while.
View attachment 690147View attachment 690148
Yeah, D series was part of the old design. Mine failed as well. F on my car still going strong.

They did not do any aiming or adjustment when they replaced my drivers side headlight this morning, the car was in the driveway on uneven ground, and there was no wall in front to see where the headlights were pointing. Though instead, the tech said he was pushing a firmware update to the car, which seemed odd - when I joked that everything is computerized these days, he said there's a computer module attached to the headlight, and that the update was for the headlight to automatically level itself.

It just finished updated firmware now, and appears to be the same firmware version that I already had previously. But perhaps after an update or even re-install, the headlights re-do their calibration or leveling or something like that.
Can you test to see if there's added function of proper adaptive headlight now? Supposedly the G's are suppose to have this on the new S. Maybe that's why the tech said a firmware update was necessary.

Until we hear the F or later revisions widely failing, I believe Tesla finally remedied the issue of LED burnouts with the redesigned cooling design. Time will tell.

The new part is the -G revision, whereas when I had my passenger DRL replaced in February, also failed, they used a -F revision. The tech suggested they may have lowered the about of power with the newest revision to reduce the heat and likelihood of burning out. But in case it does happen to fail again, the repair looked straightforward enough that I'd probably go the DIY eBay route if I need to get it fixed out of warranty.

So I would say for those who are getting closer to their warranty expiration, check lights and other things closely for signs of impending failure, and try to get it documented or acknowledged BEFORE the warranty runs out.

The F-revision is still prone to failure... let's hope the G-revision is better.