Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delivery dates are probably (though not certainly) on the "safe side". The difference between 3,300 and 5,000 is just one month of full production.

Besides, I hope we are not repeating something like last month. Consider patience a virtue.

I hope you are right. Although, there are two challenges here, which result in a Model S sale:
1. the production ramp up.
2. the ramp up for deliveries.

I've seen the factory and the assembly line, etc. There has been a lot of discussion about the readiness (of the factory) and the expertise required, and in place in order to produce cars. I'm feeling really good about that. OTOH, there has been essentially no discussion about the readiness or ability to distribute or deliver cars to customers, in order to close a sale. If you think about full production (80 cars a day), with about 55 of those being delivered outside of CA. If more than half of those are not picked up at a Tesla store, that's a lot of personal deliveries. At least 30+ every work day. That's an average of about 3 per day for every Tesla store outside CA. I'm just guessing that Tesla only has one delivery truck per store, and each truck can only take one car. Think about it. Then, the additional coordination of taking delivery anywhere (workplaces, Disney, etc.). I guess I'll feel better when Tesla has been executing (deliveries) to plan, at production of at least 1,200 /mo.

Well, I was also nervous about the Space X launch in May that resupplied the ISS. And Elon made it look easy. Therefore, I guess closing 80 sales a day shouldn't be so tough afterall. :cool:

.....there has been essentially no discussion about the readiness or ability to distribute or deliver cars to customers....

Hi Dave, I beg to differ. There's been bits of discussion all over the place (even has it's own thread), especially about whether Tesla targetted 5,000 cars produced or delivered this year. Up till recently, Tesla had stated they would produce 5,000 but in the Q2 shareholder letter they stated:

Production on plan for 2012 goal of 5,000 deliveries

Surprised me, but why would Tesla ramp up their rhetoric if they didn't think they could really deliver?

Hi Dave, I beg to differ. There's been bits of discussion all over the place (even has it's own thread), especially about whether Tesla targetted 5,000 cars produced or delivered this year. Up till recently, Tesla had stated they would produce 5,000 but in the Q2 shareholder letter they stated:

Surprised me, but why would Tesla ramp up their rhetoric if they didn't think they could really deliver?

Nigel - Good question. Although it made me suspect less than 5,000 when Elon said that 5,000 in 2012 was a "soft" target. That 5,000 number is produced, not delivered or sold. So, even if Tesla does produce 5,000 in 2012, there might be one to two weeks of cars (350 - 750) in various places at year end, waiting to be delivered and "sold". On second thought, probably closer to 750 cars in limbo, since everything slows down between Christmas and New Years.

Just received my "It's time to build" email #2,624. Just completed it and got an estimated delivery timing of Dec/Jan (as expected). Green/Tan, Lacewood, 19", 85kWh, Tech Upgrade, Air Suspension, panoramic, Stereo upgrade, Parcel Shelf, & paint armor. Waiting for the paperwork.

Still optimistic about a December delivery, even if I have to go to the store and get it.

Just found my time to finalize email, came at 10:22am.

I think I have all my options decided (perf, tech, sound, pano, parcel shelf, black interior), it's just exterior color that I can't decide on (grey or blue).

21 months down, 4 to go...