Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest FSD - Autosteer not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 75D - after updating to the latest 2022.45.12 FSD I am getting Autosteer Temporarily Not Available errors. The first drive of the day when I use Autopilot it usually works but after that initial use, it will not work, even if I stop for a few minutes and then try to use it again. It is not sun related - happened today again and it was cloudy. The cruise control half works, just the autosteer does not. Anyone else having this issue?

When you attempt to engage and it fails, press the voice button and say "bug report". Note the date/time and open a service ticket referencing the report. It gives the tech telemetry and diagnostics to help them troubleshoot.
I tried this the other day and it started playing a song. Seems like the bug report voice prompt is missing...
Model S 75D - after updating to the latest 2022.45.12 FSD I am getting Autosteer Temporarily Not Available errors. The first drive of the day when I use Autopilot it usually works but after that initial use, it will not work, even if I stop for a few minutes and then try to use it again. It is not sun related - happened today again and it was cloudy. The cruise control half works, just the autosteer does not. Anyone else having this issue?
Do you see the gray Autosteer icon when you try to engage? What I noticed is that the Autosteer icon disappears on rural surface streets. It will flash ons for half a second, then disappear again. If I'm quick enough and press the button to engage at just the right time, it enables and drives just fine. I'm on 2022.45.12 (FSD 11.3.3). It did not do this on the previous 10.x release.

Reactions: wcorey
You sure you used the right wheel? The left wheel press is play/pause. The right wheel press is voice command.
On a yoke the voice button is not part of the wheels actually, it's a separate touch control:

When I said "it started playing a song" I mean that it went a found a song named "bug report", or something similar, on one of the streaming services and started playing it.

I tried this the other day and it started playing a song. Seems like the bug report voice prompt is missing...

Do you see the gray Autosteer icon when you try to engage? What I noticed is that the Autosteer icon disappears on rural surface streets. It will flash ons for half a second, then disappear again. If I'm quick enough and press the button to engage at just the right time, it enables and drives just fine. I'm on 2022.45.12 (FSD 11.3.3). It did not do this on the previous 10.x release.
Autosteer icon is grey. It works sometimes then does not work others. Sometimes it will engage on the second try. Today, it would not engage at all.

I've had it happen on both of my cars with the new update, it also happened on a trip a few weeks ago before the update.

Tonight it happened to me and after trying a few times, it seems to be related to visibility and possibility timing after a failure. It's a little frustrating when it occurs. but I've found that a few minutes of chill, and you can still drive, and a nice clear road seems to resolve it.

Seeing the same flicker on model s 2021. In town driving. Haven’t tried interstate yet.

I'm in a 2018 M3 with H3 and just got the version 11 single stack 2022.45.13 and am having this issue. Never had it on 10.x. Really super obnoxious as frequently will drop into FSD on the way to work -- and am now unable. Literally prevents me from engaging FSD, which, uh, is a bit of a deal killer. Kind of amazing they would release with this issue. I've looked at all kinds of environmental variables that might be impacting it like speed, lane markings, traffic congestion, nothing seems to correlate. Also, just as OP described, when it comes on, it's less than a second, just enough to attempt to engage with the stalk but not quite enough to allow success -- kind of like chinese torture. Really hope they are working on this - not just a nuisance since it prevents use of a feature people paid lots of $ for! Haven't been on highway yet.

Same issue here: 2017 MS with hardware3 and camera upgrades. Definitely appears related to upgrade to v11.3.4 directly from last v10 in my case. Very frustrating, tried soft reboot and turning FSD off and on. Seems normal when FSD is off and AAP is engaged.

I've had it happen on both of my cars with the new update, it also happened on a trip a few weeks ago before the update.

Tonight it happened to me and after trying a few times, it seems to be related to visibility and possibility timing after a failure. It's a little frustrating when it occurs. but I've found that a few minutes of chill, and you can still drive, and a nice clear road seems to resolve it.
After a little more time and more failures, it has become obvious what the issue is.
For the last few years, the need to wait for the steering wheel to appear before engaging the automation has become inconsequential, since it was basically there all the time.

But now, the steering wheel just doesn't appear as much with the automation turned off. There are many roads that were once easy to turn on the automation on which the steering wheel may only appear 10-20% of the time.

This is a major regression.

Reactions: wcorey
After a little more time and more failures, it has become obvious what the issue is. For the last few years, the need to wait for the steering wheel to appear before engaging the automation has become inconsequential, since it was basically there all the time.
That just sounds like a restatement of the problem: the steering wheel icon indicating "ready for FSD" does not appear. That's not a definition of the problem that's the symptom. Agree with everything else including that this is a major regression.

but I've found that a few minutes of chill, and you can still drive, and a nice clear road seems to resolve it.

Definitely not what I've observed. I'm totally chill on a wide open road with no traffic and a posted 35 MPH speed limit -- but cannot engage the FSD I paid for.

Sucks. Fix this nonsense Tesla!

Reactions: VanFriscia
That just sounds like a restatement of the problem: the steering wheel icon indicating "ready for FSD" does not appear. That's not a definition of the problem that's the symptom. Agree with everything else including that this is a major regression.

Definitely not what I've observed. I'm totally chill on a wide open road with no traffic and a posted 35 MPH speed limit -- but cannot engage the FSD I paid for.

Sucks. Fix this nonsense Tesla!

You are missing my point. Instead of going back over it, I'll just state the solution.
In the upper left corner of the display, there are a number of icons. The furthest right one (which normally isn't there) is the steering wheel, either grey or blue. You can ONLY enable the automation when the wheel appears. If there is no steering wheel, no matter what you do, single or double clicking the right stick will only get you dongs.

Just wait for the wheel to appear and you will be successful 100% of the time. Problem is that when it is flickering, it's kinda hard to click at the right time.

Reactions: KArnold
LOL the point you're missing is that's not a solution! 😜

So, enabling the automatic driving only when the wheel appears, which has been a rule for over 4 years, is not a solution?

Sure, there seems to be some regression in the wheel appearing, but this is common for beta releases.
You're both right in your own way, but regardless, this is a pretty super-annoying bug. I've been unable to determine any rhyme or reason as to what makes the icon flicker, but once I manage to successfully engage, it stays engaged without issue. This leads me to believe that there aren't any environmental factors at play with the icon, because if there were, I'd expect that it would immediately cancel FSD/autosteer. I had hoped that the .6 update would fix this, but nope. We may be dealing with this one for a while!

Other than that, v11 has been a surprisingly large improvement for me, generally speaking.