Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This does not change a thing.
Me as a consumer just learned I should not pay for the car just yet, I should wait a few more months for the price to drop another few thousands. What is a few months wait if it will save me thousands?
And there is more and more of us thus educated.

By your logic, then you would never buy anything.

The day I received my S90D in 2017, I could have purchased a 100D for the same price.

And now I could buy a P100D for less.

I guess I should have waited and continue to wait longer. But then I wouldn’t have gotten to enjoy the car for as long as I have. The good news is that the next Tesla will have even more features for less money....like almost all tech.

For being on here as long as you have, I am really surprised by your stance. Well....based on your username, perhaps not. ;-)

Go back to dealerships and other vehicles then I guess if that’s what you want.

If you are worried about price fluctuations of any kind buy a used car. No one NEEDS a new car. People may need a reliable car, but there are plenty of reliable used cars. People want a new car. Once you move into wants then there is less financial sense involved. There are plenty of Model s 90D's available for 50-60k.

As stated in so many other threads, price fluctuations are for the course in selling of cars. The dealership model hides the real price of the car. Tesla doesn't do haggling, what you pay is what you pay in black and white.

So? Im in the same boat as you OP. Like Alan I dropped close to $80k for a car that now cost $65k.
Being a pioneer means paving the way for others, got the car first.

I feel gripe on the quality difference instead. Supposedly manufacturers pay more attention to detail on early models but it seems to lack that. As one owner said in the ‘what you dont like about the car’ thread - its fragile. Not $80k or $65k worth for that matter.

Can’t really talk about price with recent new owners, but those who bought at the same time.

Reactions: jgs
So? Im in the same boat as you OP. Like Alan I dropped close to $80k for a car that now cost $65k.
Being a pioneer means paving the way for others, got the car first.

I feel gripe on the quality difference instead. Supposedly manufacturers pay more attention to detail on early models but it seems to lack that. As one owner said in the ‘what you dont like about the car’ thread - its fragile. Not $80k or $65k worth for that matter.

Can’t really talk about price with recent new owners, but those who bought at the same time.
Not sure when you purchased, but I have no quality complaints on my early 2013 S.

I appreciate some of the feedback here, while others sound very cultish.

First off, no, $65k luxury cars don't fluctuate by $10k day to day. That is a ridiculous claim at any point in time, but especially so in 2019.

Second, yes I have the same car and I agreed to it's value etc etc. However, I did not factor 15% being lopped off the MSRP in 6 months' time (this obviously affects resale). This is not because I want to screw people out of getting a better deal, but because I want to have a reasonably constant MSRP and not one that moves like stock options. If you don't understand this, then good luck with your finances.

Third, what people have a hard time admitting to here is that Musk is a compulsive liar (and has even been sued by the SEC for this). As a customer I don't like that he constantly lies about the products he's selling (and yes I am well aware that the M3 appreciating is a brazen example of this). I don't like that it makes Tesla buyers look like suckers or rubes who cultishly follow whatever the dear leader says. Even if I don't care at all about the $10k, it's embarassing because I look like a fool by association.
I get it, I did the same thing, but bought in June, so it’s even more of a burn. My advice is just enjoy the car. Prices are always going to change, so as long as you were happy with your purchase at the time of purchase, don’t worry about it. I can buy a gallon of milk today and drink it, or wait hoping the price drops next week and not have milk for a week.

Reactions: jgs and P85_DA
I feel the same way about Sony when 15 years ago I bought that $15,000 plasma 32” TV set that I can get from Walmart now for $199. I’m sooooo mad and feel so scammed just like you. Hate Sony and now Walmart too! Everyone should have to pay $15k for a TV set. I’m with ya’ buddy, let’s sue them classaction style!

You win the internet this week! That is sooo funny. Congrats!

:D

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
For someone who wants to lecture others on "finances," I do find it interesting that you made the decision to purchase a Tesla without doing research on this long established pattern. Or you knew about the pattern and bought anyway, but then behaved this way when the pattern repeated (which is definitely worse).

Now that this pattern has been made abundantly clear, any buyer who rolls the dice and buys Tesla anyway has no one to blame but themselves when history repeats itself.

Personally, I've bought three Teslas (traded the first at over 100k miles and decided to get two M3s - one for myself and one for the wife), and no other brand is worth taking the risk imo.

A long time ago I dated a guy with a 9 year old son who kept buying his son a Dell PC and returning it every few weeks because he realized the price for the same exact machine was always cheaper within a few weeks. this went on at least 3 or 4 times over several months. it was really getting ridiculous, but I understand that the father considered the PC purchase a bit of a splurge and a strain on his finances, but it was also becoming clear the son needed a PC for more than just computer gaming. Finally, the kid's birthday rolls around and I purchased him a PC as a gift, so the dad couldn't return it. The kid is at U Penn now, and I still get the occasional e-mail from him, even tho his father and I are no longer together.

this is how technology works. and as someone pointed out above.. and for all of you who hate those "cell phone on wheels" analogies, -- it is quite easy to spend $50,000 (or much more) on a piece of technology that is not an electric car (like a computer), and yes.. so the sooner you realize Tesla thinks of these cars as cell phones on wheels, the sooner you will understand the pricing landscape you find yourself in.

it really is that simple.

don't be like my ex- .-- these severe cases of buyers remorse help no one. go ahead and grumble. but anyone who spends more than 10 minutes a day on this forum could tell you, a price drop post EV credit phase-out was coming. I (wrongly) predicted it would happen on Monday, July 8th (so the 7-day grace period for returns could expire) but it sounds like this 7-day grace period is not a hard limit.. so they pushed the price drop back an extra week. or maybe they waited an extra week to see 15 days worth of sales with the reduced tax credit instead of 7.. but we all new prices would be adjusted to compensate for the tax credit.

no one said Tesla would not be pulling demand levers to move cars. they just don't want to deal with overt haggling.

want to be financially savy? buy used. want the best, brightest, and shiniest? that costs extra. sorry.

Some version of this thread appears every time Tesla reduces prices or improves performance. The answer is always the same:

The most screwed owners are the ones who did not buy a Tesla and bought something else instead.

As Tesla owners, we all benefit from the constant innovations, improvements and cost reductions that go into our cars.

Sorry, you can't reap the rewards of Tesla's innovations and improvements but then expect them to stop in their tracks as soon as you buy your car.

Hear ya loud and clear!

Now the color White is free...and Black cost extra....go figure.

Reminiscent of buying stocks - where prices fluctuate and you have to buy it for the low, when you can. Because - 100% you know they are going to go back up, at some point.

I'm not sure I see other automakers doing this - so frequently. Sure - they change prices, not bi-monthly.
Go to one dealership and get a price. Now go to another...

Reactions: liuping
What are the other cons of buying a traditional car? Bait and switch tactics? Secret prices if you know how to negotiate versus those who can’t. Incentives offered in different times of the year vs buying the car when it comes out. Dealer mark ups? Lower price paid than msrp?

I bring this up because tesla while their sales tactics are annoying, they are hardly different. They’re selling an expensive object therefore changed may be needed to stimulate sales after the initial rush.

We all pay different prices at a different time. It’s capitalism man.

How many of us know of people buying a house for 700k and now the house is barely worth anything (cough my cousin back in 2003).

Reactions: Galve2000