Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle auto-detects a load and automatically goes into towing mode, like the Tesla. That mode limits air suspension adjustments and some of the lane keeping features, which is comparable to what Tesla is doing.
Thanks for the very informative post on your Rivian experience! Regarding the above, when in tow mode does the Rivian allow any level of lane keeping at all? You said “some” so I’m wondering if it does allow a basic level of auto steer such that the truck will stay in its lane while on cruise control.

I realize you weren’t able to drive the truck while in tow mode but wondering if the Rivian rep gave you any details about that issue.

Thanks for the very informative post on your Rivian experience! Regarding the above, when in tow mode does the Rivian allow any level of lane keeping at all? You said “some” so I’m wondering if it does allow a basic level of auto steer such that the truck will stay in its lane while on cruise control.

I realize you weren’t able to drive the truck while in tow mode but wondering if the Rivian rep gave you any details about that issue.
From what I remember reading, Rivian’s AP is pretty basic. Major freeways only, and lane keeping only.

• There is another event next month in LA. I'll be there.
  • Motor Trend clicked off a 11.6 @ 111 mph in the R1T making it the quickest truck they've tested.
  • Reservation holders were allowed to buy 175 shares of RIVN at $78. Nice perk.
  • There are more and more delays in shipping trucks. But they are shipping to customers now, albeit slowly.

From what I remember reading, Rivian’s AP is pretty basic. Major freeways only, and lane keeping only.
That is my understanding as well. My question is if that capability is available when towing with a Rivian. It has always annoyed me that when towing with a Tesla no AP features are available except for TACC. I tweeted about that twice to Elon and to my surprise he never responded. ;)

I’d be pretty happy with that. We spend a lot of time pulling our Airstream with a Ram 1500 and I really miss the lane keeping ability. Ram’s TACC is nice — not as nice as Tesla’s — but the concentration required to constantly make those micro-adjustments staying in the lane gets tiring during a long drive.
Then take any Toyota. I am driving a basic Camry now and it has TACC with lane keeping that is pretty good for driving along straight well marked lanes. It can kill you on any curves or lane transitions though... I tested it this morning.

That is my understanding as well. My question is if that capability is available when towing with a Rivian. It has always annoyed me that when towing with a Tesla no AP features are available except for TACC. I tweeted about that twice to Elon and to my surprise he never responded. ;)
How dare he is not to respond to ecafan!
Are you saying that Tesla cannot auto-steer when towing? (I am waiting for Model Y with a hitch and some hopes to tow something in the future).