Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this thread just to give a report. I attended the First Mile event in Sonoma today and drove the R1T. It rained nearly 2 inches overnight so the track was wet and muddy, but I did get a chance to test the wipers on the vehicle!

My impressions can be summed up to say that the vehicle delivers on what is advertised. It's an EV pickup that handles and drives as well as you'd expect it to. It's well thought out and the features are precisely what they purport to be. But that's not very informative, so I'll mention a few things that stood out to me.

First, the frunk is very high so as to be almost difficult to reach into for my 5'7" shorty self. They did have all vehicles raised to their max height which may have impacted this, but the truck has a flat hood, unliked the curved hood of the X, so it's naturally higher. Yes, it would fit an electric cooler. No, there's no way I'd be able to get one in there without stilts. It has a magnetically fixed divider/false floor that separates your charging cables (below) from your cargo (above). I liked that a lot. The size of the frunk is more in line with my RWD Model S, which has a ton of space. Accessing it is much easier because it's electronically controlled.

The gear tunnel seemed great. I stood on the flipped out door and it was solid. I disconnected and reconnected the Rivian rail system while standing on it, which is very easy and well thought out. My only concern with the gear tunnel is that some random stuff will get stuck in the middle and I'll need a broomstick or something to push it out to the other side. Or I'll just learn how to use it. You can access the gear tunnel from the inside of the vehicle, which definitely helps. I just imagine that turning into a total mess on a road trip.

Quality of the sound system absolutely blows away anything I've ever had in my three Teslas. It was outstanding. The infotainment setup, with an IC and a landscape center screen, was potentially preferable to my existing S and X setups. The screen quality and contrast were also better than in my Teslas. Responsiveness was slower than I'd like but not as slow as I've seen in some videos. I'm guessing that'll be a software fix over time. Voice controls seemed limited, or not working very well at this point. And I had a rep reboot the vehicle (left steering wheel scroll tab, hazard button hold), and it took over 5 minutes to complete. You cannot drive while doing this procedure. I mentioned how Tesla separates out these reboots and he was impressed. Also something Rivian will need to address as time goes on.

Since I am strongly considering this due to towing ability, I spent some time looking at the towing setup. The receiver is accessible via a removable cover in the back. Removing this cover consists of two plastic coin type screws and plastic hooks. The piece must be stowed in the vehicle somewhere, but leaving it off doesn't leave any open gaps like it does with the Model X, so it can be comfortably left at home if you tow frequently. Safety chain hooks are large and easy to use and the 7-pin connector is very accessible, mounted right next to the receiver. The vehicle auto-detects a load and automatically goes into towing mode, like the Tesla. That mode limits air suspension adjustments and some of the lane keeping features, which is comparable to what Tesla is doing.

Seeing the hood while I was driving was a bit of an adjustment. I'm not used to such a square vehicle, and it kind of bothered me. Visibility feels better with the more upright windshield and A pillars, but I felt like the hood was a reminder that I was in a boxy shaped truck simply for the purpose of the form. That reminded me of the inefficiency of the vehicle as well, which along with weight are probably my two biggest hangups.

In the end, I wasn't swayed away from the vehicle and I probably became a little more excited about it. There weren't any build issues that were concerning at all. So I continue to wait for my max pack, which will be a while. I've got time to change my mind if something else comes up. For now, I'll say they've done a good job and it's a promising vehicle.

In the end, I wasn't swayed away from the vehicle and I probably became a little more excited about it. There weren't any build issues that were concerning at all. So I continue to wait for my max pack, which will be a while. I've got time to change my mind if something else comes up. For now, I'll say they've done a good job and it's a promising vehicle.

Thanks for the excellent "hands on" feedback. It's encouraging to to see more new EV models hitting production! I hope they are able to ramp to high production relatively quickly.

I almost ordered a Rivian a few months back to make waiting for my Cybertruck easier but when I looked into I determined I would probably get my Cybertruck before the Rivian anyway. Probably for the better as the Rivian's very short bed will not perform the functions I need a truck for so I would still be stuck needing to keep my F-150 until the Cybertruck is available anyway.

I really want to sell my F-150 but no way would I do it before I have something suitable that can replace it. C'mon Cybertruck!

• Disagree
Reactions: ohmman and Radish11
Thanks for the excellent "hands on" feedback. It's encouraging to to see more new EV models hitting production! I hope they are able to ramp to high production relatively quickly.

I almost ordered a Rivian a few months back to make waiting for my Cybertruck easier but when I looked into I determined I would probably get my Cybertruck before the Rivian anyway. Probably for the better as the Rivian's very short bed will not perform the functions I need a truck for so I would still be stuck needing to keep my F-150 until the Cybertruck is available anyway.

I really want to sell my F-150 but no way would I do it before I have something suitable that can replace it. C'mon Cybertruck!

Chances are you can buy an F-150 Lightning before the Cybertruck.

Reviving this thread just to give a report. I attended the First Mile event in Sonoma today and drove the R1T. It rained nearly 2 inches overnight so the track was wet and muddy, but I did get a chance to test the wipers on the vehicle!

My impressions can be summed up to say that the vehicle delivers on what is advertised. It's an EV pickup that handles and drives as well as you'd expect it to. It's well thought out and the features are precisely what they purport to be. But that's not very informative, so I'll mention a few things that stood out to me.

First, the frunk is very high so as to be almost difficult to reach into for my 5'7" shorty self. They did have all vehicles raised to their max height which may have impacted this, but the truck has a flat hood, unliked the curved hood of the X, so it's naturally higher. Yes, it would fit an electric cooler. No, there's no way I'd be able to get one in there without stilts. It has a magnetically fixed divider/false floor that separates your charging cables (below) from your cargo (above). I liked that a lot. The size of the frunk is more in line with my RWD Model S, which has a ton of space. Accessing it is much easier because it's electronically controlled.

The gear tunnel seemed great. I stood on the flipped out door and it was solid. I disconnected and reconnected the Rivian rail system while standing on it, which is very easy and well thought out. My only concern with the gear tunnel is that some random stuff will get stuck in the middle and I'll need a broomstick or something to push it out to the other side. Or I'll just learn how to use it. You can access the gear tunnel from the inside of the vehicle, which definitely helps. I just imagine that turning into a total mess on a road trip.

Quality of the sound system absolutely blows away anything I've ever had in my three Teslas. It was outstanding. The infotainment setup, with an IC and a landscape center screen, was potentially preferable to my existing S and X setups. The screen quality and contrast were also better than in my Teslas. Responsiveness was slower than I'd like but not as slow as I've seen in some videos. I'm guessing that'll be a software fix over time. Voice controls seemed limited, or not working very well at this point. And I had a rep reboot the vehicle (left steering wheel scroll tab, hazard button hold), and it took over 5 minutes to complete. You cannot drive while doing this procedure. I mentioned how Tesla separates out these reboots and he was impressed. Also something Rivian will need to address as time goes on.

Since I am strongly considering this due to towing ability, I spent some time looking at the towing setup. The receiver is accessible via a removable cover in the back. Removing this cover consists of two plastic coin type screws and plastic hooks. The piece must be stowed in the vehicle somewhere, but leaving it off doesn't leave any open gaps like it does with the Model X, so it can be comfortably left at home if you tow frequently. Safety chain hooks are large and easy to use and the 7-pin connector is very accessible, mounted right next to the receiver. The vehicle auto-detects a load and automatically goes into towing mode, like the Tesla. That mode limits air suspension adjustments and some of the lane keeping features, which is comparable to what Tesla is doing.

Seeing the hood while I was driving was a bit of an adjustment. I'm not used to such a square vehicle, and it kind of bothered me. Visibility feels better with the more upright windshield and A pillars, but I felt like the hood was a reminder that I was in a boxy shaped truck simply for the purpose of the form. That reminded me of the inefficiency of the vehicle as well, which along with weight are probably my two biggest hangups.

Thanks Mark, sounds like it is what I’m looking for glad you were able to drive it now the wait begins.

Thx so much for this review and I had the same thought as @Cosmacelf about the software reboot. Let's hope they address that. If it takes 5 minutes to reboot, then something is being starved during boot up (CPU, MEM, HD). I used to do this at XBOX and Tesla so I know it is hard.

Do you have any feedback on how it drove, handles or corners as compared to a Tesla Y or X?

I'm excited to see one up here in Seattle at some point.

Reactions: tm1v2
That reminded me of the inefficiency of the vehicle as well, which along with weight are probably my two biggest hangups.
Thanks for the review. Other than what you mention here, one of my biggest concerns is because Tesla does not like Rivian they might exclude them from using the supercharger network. I guess that will become less of a big deal if the new infrastructure bill can actually make something approaching the supercharger network with its funds.

Thanks for the review. Other than what you mention here, one of my biggest concerns is because Tesla does not like Rivian they might exclude them from using the supercharger network. I guess that will become less of a big deal if the new infrastructure bill can actually make something approaching the supercharger network with its funds.
Tesla's won't be petty by closing their Supercharger network to certain manufacturers. Main reason for this is they'd be losing out on receiving tax breaks for operating a brand-agnostic charging service.

Tesla's won't be petty by closing their Supercharger network to certain manufacturers. Main reason for this is they'd be losing out on receiving tax breaks for operating a brand-agnostic charging service.
The last draft I saw only required your network to be open to one additional manufacturer. So Tesla could block Rivian and still get money from the infrastructure bill.

The last draft I saw only required your network to be open to one additional manufacturer. So Tesla could block Rivian and still get money from the infrastructure bill.

Wouldn't that be a very dangerous thing for Tesla to do? They'd open themselves up to anti-trust actions.

Besides, blocking someone would be a contrary to the way Elon likes to run things. He normally applauds other EVs.

Wouldn't that be a very dangerous thing for Tesla to do? They'd open themselves up to anti-trust actions.

Besides, blocking someone would be a contrary to the way Elon likes to run things. He normally applauds other EVs.
I wouldn't expect Tesla to block anyone. But I could see there being a possibility that they only up to OEMs that partner with them for expanding the Supercharger network. But even that is unlikely. They will probably just open it up like they have done in the trial in the Netherlands.

I agree about Elon wanting more EVs out there, but didn't Rivian steal confidential recruiting info from Tesla? Making more EVs by stealing the life blood of another ev maker might trump that good will toward just having another EV maker.

You may want to check on the Rivian site, as their next First Mile event is in Seattle. They opened this one to non-reservation holders for view/explore only (no drives) and may do the same in Seattle.
Event full Seattle First Mile Event -- FULL?!

I need to drive one though. I'm not as bought in like I was the Model S. I bought and paid for it, sight unseen. I'm still unsure about Rivian as I haven't seen a technical walkthrough of every bit of it, like I did with Peter back in the day.

Reactions: ohmman
Nice. I gravitate towards vehicles with lots of features, and that's why I'm sticking with my Lightning order. There's just so much utility from having V2H capabilities.
Note: not sure on Ford's plan, but you would need to modify your home electrical panel to provide isolation to do V2H if it is a bidirectional charge port, or else have a generator connection and use the 240V auxiliary port (non automatic) .