Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the looks of the SUV and the performance. Much more practical design for people and luggage than the model x, which I could never get myself to like after multiple drives.

Rivian initially said 0-60 in 3 seconds and 0-100 in 7 seconds, which is much faster than my model 3 performance. This is with the 135 battery. The 135 and 180 are supposed to have the same motors so the 135 will be the fastest due to lighter weight.

The driver + system is included on all vehicles, no extra charge. It seems to be more like GM supercruise than Tesla autopilot. They also seem to have removed LIDAR and will rely on cameras and radar.

I am going to consider replacing my M3 performance with the R1S. It would work well for the kids and dog, and be a great road trip vehicle if the charging network is sufficient.

I played around on ABRP and don’t really see any issues with charging, aside from cost for EA. This will only get better as time goes on and we don’t know what Rivian is doing with their own network yet.

My biggest concern is what happens in 5-10 years if they fail? I suspect someone could buy them out and continue offering support and servicing the vehicles but the OTA updates may go away. Who knows.

I would love it if Tesla came out with a larger SUV (cybersuv?). The cybertruck is cool but is missing the 7-8 seats that families love. A larger SUV under $60k would be an easy decision.

What's going on with the R1S 7 seater and 180kWh battery? That was the model and range that I was hoping for and it doesn't look like that is going to be hitting the market anytime soon. Is there an issue with the 3rd row + 180kWh battery?

That is my understanding from some of the Rivian groups. 3rd row and 180kwh won’t fit so they are redesigning and it’s likely the SUV won’t get the full 180kwh. They use 15kwh blocks so it could be 150 or 165. If you notice, they only say longer range r1s is available later in the description details and don’t commit to 400+ miles anymore. They may be able to squeeze 400 miles out of the 165 pack if it’s more efficient than the truck and they have a different wheel and tire setup.

From r1s on the site.

Attachments

• F1ED8DA6-9BEF-4B06-A6FB-A45B6E9D6EA3.jpeg
    F1ED8DA6-9BEF-4B06-A6FB-A45B6E9D6EA3.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 81
The 180 battery is really useful for towing. The 135 with a trailer will struggle to get 150 mi. The 180 should be just enough to get you 200 mi even with a decent sized trailer.

If you don't tow, the extra range from the 180 will not be worth it. You are not going to go between 300-400 miles without a charging stop enough times to make up for the $10k price.

(Same for the 500mi Cybertruck. The point of a 500mi range Cybertruck is to get 250mi with a trailer.)

Different use cases (beyond trailer/no trailer) will value extra range differently. A trailer is not the only reason you might need more than 300-400 miles of rated range and the value of that extra range will vary wildly in dollar terms depending upon the buyer and how much $10K is worth to them. I would pay $10K for an extra 33% range without batting an eyelash (even if I were not planning on towing).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Rivian initially said 0-60 in 3 seconds and 0-100 in 7 seconds, which is much faster than my model 3 performance. This is with the 135 battery.

What am I missing? I haven't clocked my P3D to 100 mph but I've done many timed 0-60mph runs and it hits 60 mph consistently in 3.1 seconds.

The exactly 3 seconds and 7 seconds of the Rivian sound suspiciously rounded off. Do you really think it will hit 0-60 mph in 3.0 and 0-100 mph in 7.0 seconds? I don't. Not that it's all that important to me but I'm just commenting on your acceleration comparison.

What am I missing? I haven't clocked my P3D to 100 mph but I've done many timed 0-60mph runs and it hits 60 mph consistently in 3.1 seconds.

The exactly 3 seconds and 7 seconds of the Rivian sound suspiciously rounded off. Do you really think it will hit 0-60 mph in 3.0 and 0-100 mph in 7.0 seconds? I don't. Not that it's all that important to me but I'm just commenting on your acceleration comparison.

It does seem like convenient numbers and probably just for initial marketing but I think it’s possible. It should have more horsepower than a model X performance or p100d. To me 0-60 in 3 seconds implies a softer launch than the X performance and then more mid range and top end pull, much greater than the model 3. Here’s an article with some times for model 3 performance, model s p100d and model x p90d.

Tesla Model 3 Performance Accelerates From 0-163 MPH: Video

It does seem like convenient numbers and probably just for initial marketing but I think it’s possible. It should have more horsepower than a model X performance or p100d. To me 0-60 in 3 seconds implies a softer launch than the X performance and then more mid range and top end pull, much greater than the model 3. Here’s an article with some times for model 3 performance, model s p100d and model x p90d.

Tesla Model 3 Performance Accelerates From 0-163 MPH: Video

Those are outdated acceleration numbers from two summers ago. My Model 3 Performance received a free over-the-air power boost that all new Performance models come with. Yes, my car is faster than the day I bought it. So I don't really see any evidence the Rivian with the 135 kWh pack will be substantially faster than that.

Those are outdated acceleration numbers from two summers ago. My Model 3 Performance received a free over-the-air power boost that all new Performance models come with. Yes, my car is faster than the day I bought it. So I don't really see any evidence the Rivian with the 135 kWh pack will be substantially faster than that.

My 1/8 time on an 11.5 @ 118 mph 1/4 mile run was 7.35 @ 95 mph. This is from June 2020 after all power updates. So 8.x seconds to 100 mph is still about right for a model 3 performance.

I believe the new raven model x performance can do 0-100 mph in just over 7 seconds. This is the fastest model x on dragtimes and the 1/8 mile is basically 7.0 at 100 mph. 2020 Tesla Model X Performance/Raven/Cheetah Stance 1/4 Mile Drag Racing

Articles state the Rivian will be about 750 horsepower so I think it’s feasible.

Has Rivian published details about their Gear Guard option? From what I can tell, this is some sort of security or connectivity option. Do you need this to turn on the HVAC over a cellular connection? If so, can you get that on the Explore Package with a monthly fee?

Looking at the Adventure/Explore Package comparison, the Off-Road Upgrade and possibly the Gear Guard are the only pieces of that which I care about. It would likely be best for me to just add the Off-Road Upgrade option than pay for all the other components in the Adventure Package that I don’t care about. It kind of depends upon what this mystery Gear Guard option actually includes.

I chatted with a rep at Rivian today and got the following description of Gear Guard.

We will be sharing much more information on Gear Guard soon, but basically it is our remote monitoring system that features a cut-resistant locking cable that wraps around your gear and plugs into the bed wall connecting directly into the vehicle's security system.

You can remotely monitor your gear through the Rivian app and receive instant alerts if the system senses an interruption.

So, doesn’t sound like something I’m particularly interested in.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
My 1/8 time on an 11.5 @ 118 mph 1/4 mile run was 7.35 @ 95 mph. This is from June 2020 after all power updates. So 8.x seconds to 100 mph is still about right for a model 3 performance.

I believe the new raven model x performance can do 0-100 mph in just over 7 seconds. This is the fastest model x on dragtimes and the 1/8 mile is basically 7.0 at 100 mph. 2020 Tesla Model X Performance/Raven/Cheetah Stance 1/4 Mile Drag Racing

Articles state the Rivian will be about 750 horsepower so I think it’s feasible.
You ran under 8 seconds in the quarter. That is impressive. What track allows to run that fast without a cage

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus
I chatted with a rep at Rivian today and got the following description of Gear Guard.
So, doesn’t sound like something I’m particularly interested in.

Depending on the execution, it could be a handy time saver when you need to stop and eat and you are carrying bicycles, a trailer, or M/Cs.

With EVs you need to park for a while to recharge and thieves are going to notice that.

Rivian gets another round of funding that values them at $25 billion. To me this is a testament to just how much money it takes to start a car company.

Rivian is closing in on more financing at massive $25 billion valuation - Electrek

Tesla couldn't even dream of a $25B valuation in early 2012. Back then Tesla's measly $2B valuation was considered bonkers.

Investor support is the big difference between the 2012-era EV startups and today's EV startups. Just compare:

A123 vs. QuantumScape
Zap vs. Lordstown
Wheego vs. Canoo
Coda vs. Lucid
Th!nk vs. Rivian

The funding for the new batch is >10X the old batch.

Obviously Tesla can be thanked for proving the model and building the hype around EVs, or this wouldn't be the case. The new entrants will have an easier time of it because of the groundwork already laid.

Oh absolutely. This is a problem with the whole VC industry. When a new, innovative company comes out trying to establish a new market, VCs give them a really hard time. Then, if the company succeeds (and makes billionaires out of the few VCs who took the risk), the herd of VCs can't throw money at the copycats fast enough. The copycats may succeed, but investors in the copycats never make the sort of profits as investors in the original, because the pre-revenue valuations were 10X higher.

It's funny. As an investor, you're better off investing in the first mover, but as an entrepreneur you'd be better off as a copycat. But entrepreneurs all want to be the first mover and VCs all want to invest in the copycats!

If you want to be a VC/angel, you should fund a Tesla. Be Elon not whoever led Rivian's funding rounds. If you want to be a founder, you should start a Rivian. Be RJ Scaringe not Martin Eberhard.