Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree
CT will disrupt because:
the look is radical which Tesla is opening our minds to, I did not like the MY look at first and now it’s #1
The price vs included base functions will be compelling (2x motor/4x4, 6.5’ bed, range, cab size, air suspension, etc)
The range per price will be great, 350 and up

please name me one vehicle with a "radical look" which ended up disrupting a automotive class/ segment ? I'm waiting...

regarding price, range, motors ... nobody has seen any specs. Nothing but rumors to date. So let's wait until we see the final - and available at launch - production version...

Reactions: Cal1
please name me one vehicle with a "radical look" which ended up disrupting a automotive class/ segment ? I'm waiting...

regarding price, range, motors ... nobody has seen any specs. Nothing but rumors to date. So let's wait until we see the final - and available at launch - production version...
The 6' bed, that has a plastic insert instead of stainless and tire bumpouts is from all of the new Beta models. The front/frunk is also smaller.

Not confirmed from Tesla, but it's what they've been making.

I'm most interested in the cab size and the headroom for rear passengers.

The back seat looks closer to a Rivian than an F150 in width and the headroom and visibility looks bad from all of the new trucks. The rear door goes almost upto the headrest in the back.

It does appear that the rear seats will decline, but no midgate.
yup. those are all very important details truck buyers look out for.... range, acceleration and max tow aren't the only specs truck buyers look at ... especially acceleration 0-60 isn't something high on the list of traditional truck buyers.

Reactions: TessP100D
Tesla crushed rhe market with the MY
Let’s see how Tesla delivers on the many measurements of success for a new vehicle entry, rhe CT
Feel they will crush it again or it will be a MAJOR flop, I can’t see that happening
Elon is just too brilliant

Tesla crushed rhe market with the MY
Let’s see how Tesla delivers on the many measurements of success for a new vehicle entry, rhe CT
Feel they will crush it again or it will be a MAJOR flop, I can’t see that happening
Elon is just too brilliant
Elon even said the CT is smaller than the original concept and all Beta models have shown that to be true.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Believe Tesla reduced the size of their truck a bit to fit better in garages.

Latest surveys say that the majority of Pickup truck owners tow heavy loads long distances less than once a year. Carry heavy bulk loads in the bed less than once a year. For those who do these tasks more often, perhaps a diesel is the better option, but for the reality of how most Pickup owners uses their trucks, the CyberTruck might just work out OK.

For many Pickup owners something like an El Camino or Ranchero might be good enough as well.

Elon is taking a big gamble here. He says that most will not be attracted to the CyberTruck, but enough will to make it a success in the marketplace.

Word is that they are already working on a smaller version.

Latest surveys say that the majority of Pickup truck owners tow heavy loads long distances less than once a year. Carry heavy bulk loads in the bed less than once a year. For those who do these tasks more often, perhaps a diesel is the better option, but for the reality of how most Pickup owners uses their trucks, the CyberTruck might just work out OK.
This is true, but a poor talking point when speaking to pick ups. Regardless of how people actually use them, they are buying half-ton pick ups with the idea they will do this. Almost all F150s get the optional tow package as well.

So entering the race saying, "this isn't great for towing or hauling" is playing to the narrative that this will be a mall crawling truck, not a work truck or something that can disrupt the truck market,

Now if it's just stupid cheap, it could disrupt the entire market. There will be a ton of first time truck buyers, EV shoppers, etc., but likely less of the traditional ICE 1/2 ton or above shopper.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
you ain’t towing much or for very long with a 320 miles epa rated vehicle… generously talking that’s a real world tow range of maybe 120 miles if even that. And if you tow in excess of 8k lbs… you should consider a HD truck with a diesel engine. Long story short… these 11k lbs tow rating are purely for bragging rights. Even a larger horse trailer isn’t 11k lbs…
I routinely tow my 6000 lbs Airstream around the PNW and you need to realize that there are 2 sides to the range coin: what’s my range and how far apart are the super (150kW or more) chargers. With super chargers every 100 miles or so and charge time around 20 min I have no problem with a range of 140 miles. Locally, I routinely tow ~10,000 lbs of hay or gravel so range is no issue there and I guess only time will tell if I’m stressing out the R1T too much for it to remain a reliable tow vehicle. However, going back to a diesel HD would be a huge step down in performance and not one I’m likely to ever take.

I routinely tow my 6000 lbs Airstream around the PNW and you need to realize that there are 2 sides to the range coin: what’s my range and how far apart are the super (150kW or more) chargers. With super chargers every 100 miles or so and charge time around 20 min I have no problem with a range of 140 miles. Locally, I routinely tow ~10,000 lbs of hay or gravel so range is no issue there and I guess only time will tell if I’m stressing out the R1T too much for it to remain a reliable tow vehicle. However, going back to a diesel HD would be a huge step down in performance and not one I’m likely to ever take.
unhooking your airstream everytime you charge every 140 miles gets painful quickly though.... and not many chargers are pull through yet

Reactions: TessP100D