Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I need to break it is a little ball. Why would it stop a bullet? Let's use our thinking caps here.
All BR glass can be cracked with a rock or metal ball, that doesn't prevent it from also stopping a bullet. It's just a bunch of layers of glass which slows the object to a stop, but still creates cracks.

We used to crack level 10 glass, rated for a .50 cal sniper rifles, with rocks in the military.

smh……..
could also be just dual layer accoustic class. like the Y. anything fancier than that and the replacement costs will be astronomical. again - bullet proof/armored glass will shatter *just* fine and indeed does so to absorb energy. the bullet just doesn't penetrate it. Why anyone would want that in "normal" life" is beyond me. it also makes extraction in case of an accident through the window all but impossible.

i have a hard time seeing Tesla adding that much weight and costs to the vehicle with no apparent benefit but a lot of downsides....

The damage was done from the tests before it going on stage. There was plenty of alternate testing done on the glass before they even got to it inside the vehicle. There is a custom glass factory they have for this purpose right next to Design Studio.
if that were true and tesla really invented "unbreakable" car glass... i think that would be a massive safety issue. especially when there aren't any door handles. bystanders and first responders can't yank on the door to open it NOR smash in the window and pull you out that way...

also: there's a photo circulating of a cybertruck with a long crack in the front windshield. doesn't look unbreakable to me...

if that were true and tesla really invented "unbreakable" car glass... i think that would be a massive safety issue. especially when there aren't any door handles. bystanders and first responders can't yank on the door to open it NOR smash in the window and pull you out that way...

also: there's a photo circulating of a cybertruck with a long crack in the front windshield. doesn't look unbreakable to me...
I got to see some of it so believe what you will.

I didn't say it was unbreakable, but it does have a strength it can withstand. It took multiple hits from that ball.

In the lead up to launch there were some other tests done at a gun range versus an F-150 and within the studio itself. The windshield is obviously stronger. Wood planks, rocks, screws and bolts, and various other materials were tested against the glass as what you might encounter on a highway or on a work site. In a lot of cases these items are lobbed, the items tested were launched.

Wonder what they use on cockpit windshields. Doubt weight would be a factor in an aircraft. Obviously not intended to deflect weapon fire but bird strikes can be pretty powerful.
cockpit windshields are multiple layers of hardened and laminated glass. costing tens of thousands $ / panel.
and weight is the *most* important factor for aircrafts...

Wonder what they use on cockpit windshields. Doubt weight would be a factor in an aircraft. Obviously not intended to deflect weapon fire but bird strikes can be pretty powerful.
Mine are acrylic but very thick (~1"). Airliners can be a sheet of glass with a sheet of acrylic on each side. A bird hitting a windshield at high speed is definitely a thing. It is common to have a slower max speed below a certain altitude where birds are likely (<14,000') and then higher above that due to the possibility of a bird strike. But birds are soft, blunt, and the force is spread out over a large area. Bullets are the exact opposite.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The point is that the glass stops an object like a bolt or other flying object off the vehicle ahead of you instead of coming through the windshield and going through your head. That does not mean no damage to the windshield.
Which we already have. Maybe not a board at 100mph but windshields are pretty sturdy as is with just two layers laminated. The point is not about the windshield but about the side windows like in the demonstration. If it will crack from small things but still stop a bullet, what’s the point of spending all the extra money and weight to stop a bullet when the net result of a small rock or hammer is the same as regular safety glass (cracked glass that need to be replaced)?

Reactions: AMPd and T3SLAROD
One FAA regulation bird strike test calls for a thawed, room temperature 6 lb raw chicken fired out of an air gun at IDK 150mph impact speed? My brother designed covers for helicopters and had to run that test once. Have a great hi speed video of the impact around somewhere. The bird is liquified, no part left larger than about pencil eraser. They passed.

People are looking for anything that will put the CT above the competition and so far, nothing. Bring out the Specs damn it!
9 more days! ;) joke aside... if they had killer specs like "windows which won't shatter" or anything of substantial bragging rights... they would have leaked it so far to build excitement.