Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I’m sorry …. I forgot

“The wiper is awesome, innovation at its finest, Elon is genius, when can I get mine?”

🙄
In cold places, folks have to leave their wipers out and sticking up in the air over night. Wipers that retract hidden to protect the eyes of the aesthetically obsessed often get frozen in place making them hard to extract.
Believe it or not, the CT was designed primarily for function, not form. If you want a poorly performing sculpture on wheels buy a Fisker or BMW i-series.

In cold places, folks have to leave their wipers out and sticking up in the air over night. Wipers that retract hidden to protect the eyes of the aesthetically obsessed often get frozen in place making them hard to extract.
Believe it or not, the CT was designed primarily for function, not form. If you want a poorly performing sculpture on wheels buy a Fisker or BMW i-series.
I use my Model 3 in the snow pretty often and put the wipers in service mode and lift them up, really not too difficult in the current setup. Tesla would much rather have the wiper hidden for aerodynamics but the styling of the Cybertruck does not allow for it to be hidden without a complex system where it hides behind a panel.

Same.

This is the case for most people.

I think the CT frunk is fine. It's a bit larger than the Model S, which is welcome, but not being a tub makes it not great for groceries as it is. Putting a net in would make it work great.

It's odd that people are downplaying the frunk in the CT. It was something that most people said Tesla would beat Ford with, because it's the best aspect of the Lightning.

I guess it would/will be the same about range or anything else. I'm still getting a CT, unless it's a mess with rattles/etc, but it's fine to admit truths that the product has fallen short from the launch in size, specs, storage, features, etc.
pricing is the next hot question... as I stated earlier... my local Ford dealer in Grapevine Texas now offers the Lariat trim F150 Lightning AWD with extended range battery (EPA 320 miles) for ~$72k. probably can haggle another $1-2k down from there on. Will the AWD Cybertruck be cheaper than $72k ? I doubt it....

pricing is the next hot question... as I stated earlier... my local Ford dealer in Grapevine Texas now offers the Lariat trim F150 Lightning AWD with extended range battery (EPA 320 miles) for ~$72k. probably can haggle another $1-2k down from there on. Will the AWD Cybertruck be cheaper than $72k ? I doubt it....
We'll find out in a few weeks.

I've sat in the ICE version of that and I gotta say it feels so luxurious in there. Even has massaging seats!

My 2013 Lexus and 2010 Subaru have heat strips on the windshield where the wipers sit. No more frozen down wipers.

As for function over form you can say that thinking about the bed of the CT and keep a straight face?

yeah... interior quality wise the Lariat already runs circles around any Tesla and the Platinum / King Ranch are high-end Mercedes / Lexus equivalent.
You really should go buy one! With as much money as they are loosing per vehicle you’re practically stealing it! I hear they also have a forum to sing its praises. Good luck with your dream truck.

My 2013 Lexus and 2010 Subaru have heat strips on the windshield where the wipers sit. No more frozen down wipers.
Comparing with a Lexus is silly. If you want a commodity mass produced vehicle, copied from vehicles with nearly a century of optimization, then touched-up by hand and sold at twice the price, go ahead with the Lexus. Subaru is apparently awesome as a snow car but is hardly a hauler. If you want those go ahead. If you want an EV, you're going to have to watch as the market figures it out.

regarding:
As for function over form you can say that thinking about the bed of the CT and keep a straight face?
I'm not clear on what you're implying.
One certainly can't say that Form has anything to do with the CT bed design. It is definitely designed with Function in mind, even if it may be a miss in some regards. Unlike many who think it is purely the artwork, I see that the CT's bed walls are integrated into the rest of the body as essentially a solid truss structure to enable more carrying capacity with less weight from materials.

It's a truss bridge,
1699371395414.png

not a beam bridge:
1699371431177.png

like most trucks. I've commented however, that I think my biggest personal issue with the CT is that, like the Escalade, Avalanche, and early Ridgelines, I don't like the sloped bed wall fairings coming down from the roof of the cab. I spend about as much time unloading from, working from, and even climbing in from the side of a pickup as I do from the tailgate. Of course, I'm tall so, perhaps others don't have that option as I was reminded elsewhere on this forum when I voiced my dislike for the sloping bed walls.
If you're just driving your heavy toys in and out, those walls probably perform fine. It will be interesting to see how the built-in, retracting tonneau and opening to the rear works out too. Perhaps it will be a failed experiment but they're striving for function, even if they may miss.

Comparing with a Lexus is silly. If you want a commodity mass produced vehicle, copied from vehicles with nearly a century of optimization, then touched-up by hand and sold at twice the price, go ahead with the Lexus. Subaru is apparently awesome as a snow car but is hardly a hauler. If you want those go ahead. If you want an EV, you're going to have to watch as the market figures it out.

regarding:

I'm not clear on what you're implying.
One certainly can't say that Form has anything to do with the CT bed design. It is definitely designed with Function in mind, even if it may be a miss in some regards. Unlike many who think it is purely the artwork, I see that the CT's bed walls are integrated into the rest of the body as essentially a solid truss structure to enable more carrying capacity with less weight from materials.

It's a truss bridge,
View attachment 988628

not a beam bridge:
View attachment 988629

like most trucks. I've commented however, that I think my biggest personal issue with the CT is that, like the Escalade, Avalanche, and early Ridgelines, I don't like the sloped bed wall fairings coming down from the roof of the cab. I spend about as much time unloading from, working from, and even climbing in from the side of a pickup as I do from the tailgate. Of course, I'm tall so, perhaps others don't have that option as I was reminded elsewhere on this forum when I voiced my dislike for the sloping bed walls.
If you're just driving your heavy toys in and out, those walls probably perform fine. It will be interesting to see how the built-in, retracting tonneau and opening to the rear works out too. Perhaps it will be a failed experiment but they're striving for function, even if they may miss.
Tesla rarely chooses function over form in every vehicle they have made, steering yoke anyone? As for the bed, you mentioned the high sides (why Honda changed the ridgeline and the CT sides are way worse then the original Honda), also the rolling cover is going to make it more of an SUV. Lack of door handles are going to be a frozen shut block of ice unless they have heat strips through all the door jams.

As for Lexus, yes comparing Tesla to Lexus is silly. Lexus is top in quality, quality control, and fit and finish. Also mass produced? look up the LX, it is a Land Cruiser. The most limited production (other than when they did the LFA) and hand built Toyota product. It is the g wagon of Toyota.

All That said if the CT comes in with a 500 mile range option (so I can hopefully get 200 miles comfortably towing) I’ll probably still buy one, I reserved day 1. And mostly use it to tow my camper and keep My LX for off roading.

Tesla rarely chooses function over form in every vehicle they have made, steering yoke anyone?
I definitely think Musk thought yoke was better functionally. I definitely disagree and would definitely not buy a car with a yoke unless it is the only EV available. The good thing is that they try things. Some things work, some don't. Luckily, other than the gas guzzling truck, I'm quite happy with our current stable and it is likely to last for a while.
I tend to suspect I'll agree with you on the door handles. I haven't experience much trouble with the Model S but then the ones I'm familiar with have pretty much always been in a garage at night.
Lexus is top in quality, quality control, and fit and finish. Also mass produced? look up the LX, it is a Land Cruiser.
I'm not impressed with a gas burner that was copied from a vehicle that is nearly 3/4 of a century old. With few functional modifications, they can dump money into putting lipstick on that pig for those who want to appear tough and rugged.
I'm glad you're happy with those things. I prefer to beat up cheaper and cruder vehicles but, then, luxury is totally wasted on me.

I definitely think Musk thought yoke was better functionally. I definitely disagree and would definitely not buy a car with a yoke unless it is the only EV available. The good thing is that they try things. Some things work, some don't. Luckily, other than the gas guzzling truck, I'm quite happy with our current stable and it is likely to last for a while.
I tend to suspect I'll agree with you on the door handles. I haven't experience much trouble with the Model S but then the ones I'm familiar with have pretty much always been in a garage at night.

I'm not impressed with a gas burner that was copied from a vehicle that is nearly 3/4 of a century old. With few functional modifications, they can dump money into putting lipstick on that pig for those who want to appear tough and rugged.
I'm glad you're happy with those things. I prefer to beat up cheaper and cruder vehicles but, then, luxury is totally wasted on me.
The yoke and the removal of the stalks is a terrible idea. Completely unsafe and ridiculou.

give us options, fine, but don’t dictate this crap.